440 swap on slant six 73 duster

-
I have a 1973 /6 Duster I’ve installed a 440/727 into. I love A body cars with big block power. This is my 2nd bb-A body so I have a little bit of experience. That said, if you haven’t bought the big block yet and you are new to hot rodding, I build a small block/auto car first. The much lighter and smaller engine will make life much easier. However, if you are like me and have the need to do the biggest engine in the lightest car, big block Duster is super cool ! Research, research, research ! If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or any one of the other members. That’s what we are here for. (No such thing as a stupid question)

View attachment 1715763878

View attachment 1715763879

View attachment 1715763880

I just got my first 74 duster and I'm also new to the Mopar life. I am doing a 440 swap on my slant 6. I know I need a 727 but I'm not sure what rear end I will need. And what all I will need to add to the project that us newbies wouldn't think of. Thanks

20 yrs ago, when I was building a 70 Duster with a 440, i wasnt on the forum yet. I had to change the center steering link from a /6 to a v8 on to clear the stock 440 pan. There may be a stock pan that works with the /6 link.

Why dont you tell us your experience and what worked for you?
Life got in the way.
My wife told me she was pregnant 2 weeks after the Schumscher Tri Y headers came.
Sold the whole project 2 weeks later. My research Indicated the tri y headers were a decent fit, Good for street/strip, producing lots If torque and great mid range, but left some horsepower on the table in the Upper range. A guy i corresponded with said that from 2500-5500 said that the headers made made a big difference and the engine pulled like a freight train in mid range.

Last edited:
20 yrs ago, when I was building a 70 Duster with a 440, i wasnt on the forum yet. I had to change the center steering link from a /6 to a v8 on to clear the stock 440 pan. There may be a stock pan that works with the /6 link.

There is no /6 center link after 1966...

I see you already got the BB , I was going to suggest a low compression built 360 with a rear mount turbo and a modern FI system and a supercharger up top. Go with low boost up top just to spool up a monster rear turbo. Shi.. and get :) Good luck

I see you already got the BB , I was going to suggest a low compression built 360 with a rear mount turbo and a modern FI system and a supercharger up top. Go with low boost up top just to spool up a monster rear turbo. Shi.. and get :) Good luck
You’re suggesting a compound super/turbo charger boost set up on a small block for a 16 year olds first hot rod project when he’s asking about conversion stuff for a big block swap? Hmmmm probably not great advice.

Hello, I am a 16 year old wondering everything I will need to do a 440 engine swap in a 1973 Plymouth duster that came with a slant six. I have been searching for awhile and haven’t been able to find much.
How's the project going?

Here's everything you need. The old tech pages from Bigblockdart Old Site Tech Pages
let them load...takes a while

Last edited:
-
Back