440 valve cover leaks???

-

highwaystar

Reaction score
Well I am looking for opinions on what is the best valve cover gasket for the 440 with the black cast valve covers, and does anyone use a helper with them. Such as: silicone, indian head gasket, etc. The small blocks I have no problems with. I usually use the reusable gray gaskets (can't remember who makes them), but they never leak. Do they make them for big blocks?
I just put on some expensive Moroso thick blue gaskets on and new ARP bolts and it's leaking on the passenger side and possibly the driver side. Anyone reccomend studs vs. bolts?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Highwaystar

I have a friend that had the same valve covers on his 440. The only way we could get them to seal was with a lot of silicone. Eventually he have up and got some stamped steel ones no leaks ever since with just the cork gasket.

My dad had put some of the M/T or Holley cast aluminum (black with aluminum fins) valve covers on his Superbird. We put 7 different gaskets on them, including Fel-Pro neoprene and they still leaked. Someone told us that it was the valve covers, so we bought a set of chrome stamped steel (like stock, but chrome) and they sealed the first time.

There seems to be an issue with some of the cast aluminum valve covers sealing on a big block Mopar...

Well that seems to be issue I am having. There seems to be no sense in putting 5 more sets on before changing them anyhow, unless someone out there has a "secret to the seal". I will wait for a few more post while I shop for some valve covers online.

I have never tried this, but perhaps you could double up a set of the cheap cork ons.

I was told that if you put a slight bead of black silicon between the valve cover and gasket only and bolt it on. Let stand overnight to set up, it will fix the problem. The silicon will take any imperfections out of the cast valve covers.
Any better ideas out there???

Are you running a PCV valve and a breather? Could it be excessive crankcase pressure causing the leak.......just a thought.

-
Back