46re Trans Swap

-

indirect_connection

Reaction score
So when I purchased a 5.9 Magnum for my '68, it included the trans. Being a 2001, the trans is electronic and requires a computer to control it. Now I did run across a shift kit that converts the valvebody to a forward pattern manual shift. Despite this, I can't find anyone who's swapped one into an A-body.I

Any reason it wouldn't work? Is it the same dimensions externally as a 518?

The only issue is controlling them. They are the same dimensionally as the hydraulic version. If a trans controller were available they would be a great option. I have never heard of a controller that will work but it may be out there.

Cley

So when I purchased a 5.9 Magnum for my '68, it included the trans. Being a 2001, the trans is electronic and requires a computer to control it. Now I did run across a shift kit that converts the valvebody to a forward pattern manual shift. Despite this, I can't find anyone who's swapped one into an A-body.I

Do a search here, there is a couple of threads with some great photos. On an A body YOU MUST severely modify the top area of the crossmember for added clearance. US Car Tool has a swap lower crossmember piece, but last I read (there's a thread here) the "jury is out" of fitup of that

So far as controlling, I think you are on track. The manual valve is what I intend "if I get there." So far as OD and lockup, it can be a simple switch. You have two solenoids which are supplied 12V through the connector. The switch grounds each solenoid to select. That is separate from the rest of the computer control for the valve

I've read through plenty on 500/518 swap threads. I was unsure what other differences the 46 might have. I think another problem will be the lack of speedometer drive.

I wish I could too! This damn working prevents me from being an automotive Robin Hood like I'd like to be! Rob parts from the rich and help build stuff with regular guys!

Cley

I'd like to see that mod done by slicing out the support along with the floor section; about 3-4" front to back; on down to the inboard crossmember bolts. Then weld the support plate across the hole from the top; under the carpet. Sound doable? I just hate using my angle grinder upsidedown; then welding overhead too.

The only issue is controlling them. They are the same dimensionally as the hydraulic version. If a trans controller were available they would be a great option. I have never heard of a controller that will work but it may be out there.

Cley

There are stand alone trans controllers available for the 46re, but not many and most are in the 6-700 range.

Seems odd they would control shifts by speed sensor alone. You'd think a throttle position sensor would be needed too.

Cley

I read up a little on stand alone controllers and ended up on some Dakota site. Someone was using an aftermarket engine computer, and wanted to know what to use to control the trans. The general consensus was to use the stock PCM to control the trans only.

Since I'm not using the fuel injection, I hadn't even considered using the stock PCM. I wonder what it take to make the stock PCM just funtion as a trans controller?

@indirect_connection, you have to install resistors in the harness to simulate the load caused by the fuel injectors. You have to trick the jtec controller in to thinking it is still controlling everything.

@TrailBeast, do you know of any other standalones than the one I posted?

@indirect_connection, you have to install resistors in the harness to simulate the load caused by the fuel injectors. You have to trick the jtec controller in to thinking it is still controlling everything.

@TrailBeast, do you know of any other standalones than the one I posted?

I looked into them when I did my 42rh swap, but they were not cost effective in my case because of the hydraulic controlled trans.
It was way better for me to build a pressure controlled system for shifting, so I didn't spend a lot of time on the electronic controller stuff.
Just knew that some were out there.

-
Back