470 low deck

-

jonesboys

Reaction score
building a 470 low deck to duplicate the engine ar engineering has posted in his tech articles ? why did he use push rod oiling /trick flow says that the 240 heads oil thru the rocker shaft so im using a solid roller from comp and planned on using their roller lifters as well is there pros /cons /to consider andy used amc lifters comp 848 and comp 829Llink bars thanks

I'm not a fan of PR oiling but shaft oiling needs to be done correctly.

Damn...forgot to take some pictures of the oil holes in the rocker shafts.

I'm not a fan of PR oiling but shaft oiling needs to be done correctly.

Damn...forgot to take some pictures of the oil holes in the rocker shafts.
Pushrod oiling becomes a need at higher spring loads so the pushrods/adjusters get enough lube. Andyf burned some pushrod cups during dyno testing. I burned some at the track using spraybar oiling only. Every setup is different, but for my money any tight lash solid, or rollercam setup with hi spring pressures(over 200 seat?) Are getting close to the edge of needing direct oiling of some sort.

Pushrod oiling becomes a need at higher spring loads so the pushrods/adjusters get enough lube. Andyf burned some pushrod cups during dyno testing. I burned some at the track using spraybar oiling only. Every setup is different, but for my money any tight lash solid, or rollercam setup with hi spring pressures(over 200 seat?) Are getting close to the edge of needing direct oiling of some sort.

If the oil system is done correctly, Chrysler oiling is good to atleast 340 in the seat and almost 900 over the nose at 8500 plus.

If the oil system is done correctly, Chrysler oiling is good to atleast 340 in the seat and almost 900 over the nose at 8500 plus.
Believe what you want. I speak from personal experiance, 22 years running Jesel rockers, spraybars, then pushrod oiling when i had to. Do yoy really want to risk a total rebuild when you get to a certain level? I will not again. The motor worked great at 225 on the seat, then at 300 on the seat i had a motor contaminated with burnt steel. Not cheap.

Believe what you want. I speak from personal experiance, 22 years running Jesel rockers, spraybars, then pushrod oiling when i had to. Do yoy really want to risk a total rebuild when you get to a certain level? I will not again. The motor worked great at 225 on the seat, then at 300 on the seat i had a motor contaminated with burnt steel. Not cheap.

BTDT. You did something wrong.

Thats good info greg, were 200 seat currently, 600 open on a mild .625 s/roller, with -13's/jesel, going to 1.7 rockers .690" lift after some lash tightening and looking to up seat to 225+....spray bar only, hope it works ok.

Thats good info greg, were 200 seat currently, 600 open on a mild .625 s/roller, with -13's/jesel, going to 1.7 rockers .690" lift after some lash tightening and looking to up seat to 225+....spray bar only, hope it works ok.

Good luck with it. I have caught several failures in the works by keeping a very close eye on valve lash. If it moves more than a thou and a half, odds are something is up. Due to cam flex i check lash on 90 degree marks, within 5 to 10 degrees max to get consistant results from my deal. If lash loosens .003, i know something is failing.

next ? when using push rod oiling do you need to restrict oil to the rocker shafts ?
I have bushed lifter bores in my block so a restriction to the pushrod side is somewhat there. As far as the need to restrict the stock type system, tread lightly here. You need to make sure the shafts get plenty of oil. If i were to run pushrod oiling on a shaft system i would use restricted pushrods. Depending on what is available i would try .030 in each pushrod for starters which from my experiance would likely be enough. I could only get .040 from Manton and i have plenty of oil up there. Keep in mind extra oil takes heat away from the valve springs which is needed. The springs. I use for .870 and .800 lift are holding up very well at 7400 rpm and a lot of that has to be the large amount of oil going up there.

thanks a buddy had a big small block built a couple years back with both oiling systems and its was flooding the top end with low oil pressure showing at the gauge eliminated the push rod oiling and solved the problem thanks my engine is only getting a 650-680 solid roller so if shaft oiling is all I need that's what im going with

thanks a buddy had a big small block built a couple years back with both oiling systems and its was flooding the top end with low oil pressure showing at the gauge eliminated the push rod oiling and solved the problem thanks my engine is only getting a 650-680 solid roller so if shaft oiling is all I need that's what im going with

Just make sure you use a HV pump, keep your idle speed up at 1k or a slosh over and whatever you do, make sure the oil feed holes in the shaft line up with the oil feed hole in the rocker when the valve is on the seat. If that means bluing the shafts, doing a mock assembly with the adjusters out and marking the shafts with a scribe and then drilling new holes, do it.

That's the only way to KNOW it will oil. You do that and you can run 1000 pounds over the nose and 9000 RPM at least.

Might be the rockers they ran required pushrod oiling ? Or maybe they had feed holes in rockers to oil the springs.
I plan on using both but restricting feed to the shaft a bit because the bearings in the Harlan Sharps require little oil and will allow oils to leak out the shafts if not restricted some.
I will report oil pressure changes once I swap in the oil through rods.

In order to use only pushrod oiling, you have to use rockers designed to be run that way.
Many are not.
If you use rockers that can be run with PR oiling, I would keep the stock oiling in place, but I would restrict it quite a bit.

That being said, depending on what the rest of the combo is....... the PR oiling may not be necessary at all(in which case I don’t restrict the stock oiling).

As for the Jesel deal like on Greg’s motor.
There really is only two choices for oiling on those....... spray bar or PR.
(It’s pretty hard to oil through paired solid shafts)
I have customers doing it either way, but none doing both.

In order to use only pushrod oiling, you have to use rockers designed to be run that way.
Many are not.
If you use rockers that can be run with PR oiling, I would keep the stock oiling in place, but I would restrict it quite a bit.

That being said, depending on what the rest of the combo is....... the PR oiling may not be necessary at all(in which case I don’t restrict the stock oiling).

As for the Jesel deal like on Greg’s motor.
There really is only two choices for oiling on those....... spray bar or PR.
(It’s pretty hard to oil through paired solid shafts)
I have customers doing it either way, but none doing both.

That is exactly what I am doing.
Restricting oil a bit to the shafts and using the oil thru PRs

-
Back