493 Build

-

Ww58_bandit

Reaction score
I am currently collecting parts to build a 493 stroker. Wondering what people's opinion is on the route I'm thinking of going.

Was planning a 440 build and was about to order parts but a freshly machined 493 block came up for sale so plans changed.

Currently I have 99% of parts for short block.

Freshly machined 493 block
Eagle forged 4.150 stroker crack
Eagle beam h conrods
Diamond pistons (domed)
917 deep sump
Custom headers (2" primary into 3.5" pipe work)
Msd billet dizzy, ss blast coil and 6al box

I am thinking of of going with a
trick flow top end kit (Trick Flow® PowerPort® Top-End Engine Kits for Big Block Mopar 440 TFS-K616-620-576)
Holley sniper X efi system

Things I am unsure on is

A. Is it worth installing a 440 source gridle
B. Weather to go for a mechanical or electrical high flow water pump
C. To use the trick flow high rise manifold (comes with top end kit) or use torker 2 manifold that I have.

I guess it comes to what the intended use is and if the domed pistons are machined to fit the TFS chambers. With a 493 inch engine any kind of dome at all with the small chamber heads (or probably open chamber heads, for that matter) is going to mandate e85 or race gas

What block is it do you have pictures of it as it sits? Pictures are what old guys like to look at. The small print requires glasses. Colored pictures have been exciting since "Playboy" was first published. Lets see some motor ****.

Last edited:
I wouldn't install a girdle and I'd use a mechanical water pump for anything driven on the street. The Trick Flow intake manifold will make more power than the Torker II but is taller. If you have the room and you want the power then use the TF intake.

Biggest problem I see is compression ratio. You need to figure out what your compression ratio will be with those pistons since my guess is that you're not going to like the answer if this is a street engine.

The Sniper is a good choice but if you're going with the Sniper you'll need to sell the MSD stuff and use the money to buy the Holley Hyperspark distributor and matching ignition components.

I wouldn't install a girdle and I'd use a mechanical water pump for anything driven on the street. The Trick Flow intake manifold will make more power than the Torker II but is taller. If you have the room and you want the power then use the TF intake.

Biggest problem I see is compression ratio. You need to figure out what your compression ratio will be with those pistons since my guess is that you're not going to like the answer if this is a street engine.

The Sniper is a good choice but if you're going with the Sniper you'll need to sell the MSD stuff and use the money to buy the Holley Hyperspark distributor and matching ignition components.

Worked compression ratio out last night cant remember exact numbers but comes out at between 13 and 13.5:1

Intake hight is not an issue as I run the car with no bonnet on it. The engine is for street strip but car is currently not road legal and won't be for many years. So would you recommend a gridle and leccy water pump on a strio motor??

I was under the impression you could run MSD with sniper as long as you don't want to control timing for is this wrong??

Okay, if drag racing only and you're going to run race gas then 13:1 compression will work. It will help make power that is for sure. An electric water pump can be helpful on a drag race car since you can run the pump and the fans while you are in the pits to cool the engine down. It really just depends on how you want to build the car.
I recommend controlling timing with the Sniper for a street engine but on a race engine you could keep the MSD.

What block is it do you have pictures of it as it sits? Pictures are what old guys like to look at. The small print requires glasses. Colored pictures have been exciting since "Playboy" was first published. Lets see some motor ****.

These are only 2 pics have at min will take some tomorrow

Screenshot_20200312_220449_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Screenshot_20200312_220434_com.facebook.katana.jpg

I guess it comes to what the intended use is and if the domed pistons are machined to fit the TFS chambers. With a 493 inch engine any kind of dome at all with the small chamber heads (or probably open chamber heads, for that matter) is going to mandate e85 or race gas

Would there be any heads that wouldn't need the pistons machined???

Would there be any heads that wouldn't need the pistons machined???

You would need to contact the piston mfg and ask them if the dome you have will work with a Trick Flow head. You should be prepared to tell them about the cam you are using at the same time. The odds are that those pistons will work with your heads and cam but it might be tight. You will want to spend some time mocking everything up well before final assembly.

It depends on which diamond piston that is, but it looks like it may already be designed for a closed chamber. Would you happen to know the part number for them?

Being that dome is made for the Edelbrock heads it looks like it's going to be a really close fit for a TFS head when comparing the two. It doesn't specify for which Edelbrock head it is made for, it would be a good idea to talk to tech support for their input on what it's designed to be used for.

Being that dome is made for the Edelbrock heads it looks like it's going to be a really close fit for a TFS head when comparing the two. It doesn't specify for which Edelbrock head it is made for, it would be a good idea to talk to tech support for their input on what it's designed to be used for.

Thanks Garrett I have messaged them last night so waiting for reply from them but they out the office till Monday. I have tracked down the guy who originally ordered them so hopefully they maybe able to help.

Spoke to previous owner of the pistons other day and when he brought the engine that piston were in they had indy s.r heads on. I've googled indy s.r heads and they had 75cc combustion Chambers so am I right in thinking I will be ok with trick flow 240 heads as they are 78cc C.C

Looking at the chambers on each of the manufacturers websites they appear to be identical. So safe enough to try out. But whether or not it will work without a little milling of the pistons or relieving the chambers will be something you’d have to check upon assembly. “Neve assume, always verify”.

Looking at the chambers on each of the manufacturers websites they appear to be identical. So safe enough to try out. But whether or not it will work without a little milling of the pistons or relieving the chambers will be something you’d have to check upon assembly. “Neve assume, always verify”.

Next issue going to be getting parts to UK

What sort of power would you expect a 493 with trick flow top end kit to make running on race gas??

If you’re going to use the hydraulic roller supplied in the TFS kit with 13:1 or better, it’s going to be close enough to the limit of a stock block to reduce its life expectancy. Without doing the math I would expect between 1.2-1.4 hp/cubic inch near 6000 rpm with a boat load of torque. What I can say with great certainty is it should be a real handful in that Willys, worlds away from the slap worn out 440 that you had in it.

If you’re going to use the hydraulic roller supplied in the TFS kit with 13:1 or better, it’s going to be close enough to the limit of a stock block to reduce its life expectancy. Without doing the math I would expect between 1.2-1.4 hp/cubic inch near 6000 rpm with a boat load of torque. What I can say with great certainty is it should be a real handful in that Willys, worlds away from the slap worn out 440 that you had in it.

So round 600-700bhp mark. Yes we going to have to learn how to drive it, also rebuilding the gearbox and uprati g to full will wood breaks.

-
Back