499 Demon

-

DusTed74

Reaction score
I've been working on my Demon for a number of years now and it's starting to make big progress now. It's going to be a 499" low deck big block with a 4 speed.
My plan is to have it rolling back on wheels by the end of the summer.
I'm at the point where we're going to narrow the Dana. So in order to that I had to purchase the wheels and tires that I was going to run. I went with M/T 325-50-15 ET-Street Radials on Billet Specialties Street Light 10" rims. We mocked it up yesterday and got some measurements.

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,877
  • 023.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,732
  • 032.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,695
The Dana 60 has been narrowed and we set up the spool with the 3.55's that came with the rear. Just waiting on axles now.
I put a few coats of Rustoleum black on it.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,526
That Rustoleum works good, don't it?

That Rustoleum works good, don't it?
I love the stuff. I use the aluminum as primer because it's so thin and easy to get in everywhere. I had to thin out the gloss black with acetone. It was like syrup. I'll let this dry for about a week and then wet sand out all of the brush marks.

Ted

Yeah, 100% agreed.
And it lasts a long time as long as you brush it on from a can instead of using spray bombs.

Yup, I've had trouble with Rustoleum spray paint. Now I use Rustoleum brush red primer then cover it with Rustoleum ssatin black and it works great, very durable.

Another good paint, is Tractor Supply "Truck and Trailer" paint, it's like kevlar armor in a gallon can.

Brushed on or Sprayed on, once it's on there, it's on there for good. (40 Grit Sanding Discs scream in fear and run away with their tails between their legs)

I made my own torque boxes and had a chance to get them in the car today. Then I put a coat of Rust Bullet on them.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,376
  • 012.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,330
I originally was going to run a /6 K member with conversion mounts but I decided to go to a motor plate in stead.
Here's how I mounted my Denso alternator.
First I drilled out the hole in the alternator to accept a 7/16 allen bolt. That runs through the plate. There's a large washer with a small counter bore to locate the bolt. That sits outside. As you can see the bolt is WAY TOO LONG.
Next I used an adjuster strap from a /6 and then I just made the second strap to go to the top of the alternator for strength.
I did put a rounded notch in the motor plate to be able to get the full travel of the adjuster strap.
All in all it was pretty easy and straight forward. It should work OK.

Ted

View attachment 020.jpg

View attachment 022.jpg

View attachment 026.jpg

View attachment 032.jpg

View attachment 033.jpg

Very nice. I will be watching. Thank you for posting.

Did you order your front Street Lite wheels yet? What width and offset?

Very nice. I will be watching. Thank you for posting.

Did you order your front Street Lite wheels yet? What width and offset?

did my 1 wire alternator much the same way, under the motor plate where the fuel pump would normally be. thru the plate, w/ an adjustment strap to the water pump. so far so good! :cheers:

I just finished up the K member. It is a /6 one that I cut off all of the motor mounts. Plus I welded all of the seams to tighten it up. it doesn't have that hollow sound any more if you tap on it.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 037.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,056
I didn't like the way the factory clutch rod felt. There was just too much misalignment. Felt like it was binding. So I knocked out the factory mounts on the pedal and the Z bar and drilled & tapped them 3/8-24. Then I just made a new rod with 2 heim joints on the ends. Now it's much better.

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

Thanks. I also made one for the push rod that goes from the Z bar to the fork.

I had some time to get back to work on the Demon project. I roughed out my sheet metal bulkhead. It's 18 gauge steel. The easiest way that I could think of doing it was in 3 pieces. It's almost ready to tack in.
Next I have to do the speaker holes.

Ted

View attachment 002.jpg

I started routing my battery cables from the trunk forward. I needed to go through the cross member so I bored a hole and welded in a piece of tubing. I also did that on the opposite side for my fuel supply and return lines. I'll be housing the battery cables in stuff called nylabraid. It's pretty neat stuff. Once I have the exact lengths of the cables I can run them through the nylabraid and then use some heat shrink to seal them in.
I also got all of the fittings that I needed for my brake lines and got a bunch done on that too.
I didn't want to run the factory style brake line across the fire wall so I welded tubes in the frame rails to cross over to the calipers and now my brake line runs around the front of the car under the radiator.

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 012.jpg

View attachment 018.jpg

View attachment 025.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

-
Back