499 roller cam ???

-

604B1duster

Reaction score
I just got a 440 edelbrock topend from a guy who’s 440 spit out the mains and crank. It was a 493 with dome pistons, stage 2 edelbrock 84cc heads, victor, and a custom comp 272@50 .645 lift solid roller. The cam got tossed also. I have pics of dyno sheets, like 660 HP.
So anyway I have a 499 short block with flat top pistons, BME rods. Started looking at roller cams and found a crane 688801. Then googled to see if any street strip guys were using it and I came across a thread you (Moper) replied to 10 yrs ago where you recommend that cam to someone over comps street rollers, xr286r, 292r.
I can only get 11:1 with the flat tops and I came up with 8.35 dynamic and 173 cranking. Are these numbers to low, will I be way down on power with the 688801 ?
It would be great to run on 93. I think the 493 that let go was at least 12.5:1 and supposedly made 660hp with a 750 AED carb. I Plan to try an 850 that was worked out to 930, and or a Dominator adapter on the victor with good 1050. So should I go with a cam with a little less duration and get the dynamic and cranking up a little or go with the crane ??? I got his protrans and 8in converter also. Will be going in a mini tubbed dart. Not looking to get a custom cam, or every last HP.
Thanks, Dan

Last edited:
That cams 260/268@ .050?

At 11:1 I think you will be fine. We’re at 10.5:1 with 280@.050 and it runs real hard

I just got a 440 edelbrock topend from a guy who’s 440 spit out the mains and crank. It was a 493 with dome pistons, stage 2 edelbrock 84cc heads, victor, and a custom comp 272@50 .645 lift solid roller. The cam got tossed also. I have pics of dyno sheets, like 660 HP.
So anyway I have a 499 short block with flat top pistons, BME rods. Started looking at roller cams and found a crane 688801. Then googled to see if any street strip guys were using it and I came across a thread you (Moper) replied to 10 yrs ago where you recommend that cam to someone over comps street rollers, xr286r, 292r.
I can only get 11:1 with the flat tops and I came up with 8.35 dynamic and 173 cranking. Are these numbers to low, will I be way down on power with the 688801 ?
It would be great to run on 93. I think the 493 that let go was at least 12.5:1 and supposedly made 660hp with a 750 AED carb. I Plan to try an 850 that was worked out to 930, and or a Dominator adapter on the victor with good 1050. So should I go with a cam with a little less duration and get the dynamic and cranking up a little or go with the crane ??? I got his protrans and 8in converter also. Will be going in a mini tubbed dart. Not looking to get a custom cam, or every last HP.
Thanks, Dan

P M sent.

Sorry - my Gold membership expired so it "closed" my in box until I re-upped. That's fixed.
Ten years is a long time...lol. I've changed my mindset over that period. Given what you have and your goals, I would change my advice. I would prefer a little less static compression than 11:1 and that could be done with a simple head gasket choice. In regard to the camshafts - I LOVE Crane product, but it's pricey, and minimizing cost has taken the lead in terms of "must haves" over the years. Not that I feel saving $80 is a big savings in the overall picture but that's where we are. Ruling out cost - the 688801 is a race solid roller. It will be harsher on springs and doesn't like long idle sessions while the Comps will be easier on springs and have no fear of idling speeds which means less rebuilds on the lifters over the service life. The idea of maximizing power by over-examining the minute differences between shelf cam lobes for me is losing it's magic. You will get a better return on investment by doing perfect machining than by making a choice between two cams that are very, very similar. There are those who encourage this microscopic comparison and examination of lobe shapes and reliance on dynamic compression ratios with calculated pressures. In a multi-use engine that is not an all-out quest for max power I just feel it's all an exercise in futility.

If the budget is not an option - call Bullet or maybe Jones and talk to them about a custom street solid roller. I have used Bullet - never used Jones but I've heard good about him from other more qualified sources than I.
If budget is an issue and you can lower the static 1/2 a point I'd go with the XR286R.
If you can't lower the static the XR292R because it will be better with the higher static the parts will provide.

Sorry - my Gold membership expired so it "closed" my in box until I re-upped. That's fixed.
Ten years is a long time...lol. I've changed my mindset over that period. Given what you have and your goals, I would change my advice. I would prefer a little less static compression than 11:1 and that could be done with a simple head gasket choice. In regard to the camshafts - I LOVE Crane product, but it's pricey, and minimizing cost has taken the lead in terms of "must haves" over the years. Not that I feel saving $80 is a big savings in the overall picture but that's where we are. Ruling out cost - the 688801 is a race solid roller. It will be harsher on springs and doesn't like long idle sessions while the Comps will be easier on springs and have no fear of idling speeds which means less rebuilds on the lifters over the service life. The idea of maximizing power by over-examining the minute differences between shelf cam lobes for me is losing it's magic. You will get a better return on investment by doing perfect machining than by making a choice between two cams that are very, very similar. There are those who encourage this microscopic comparison and examination of lobe shapes and reliance on dynamic compression ratios with calculated pressures. In a multi-use engine that is not an all-out quest for max power I just feel it's all an exercise in futility.

If the budget is not an option - call Bullet or maybe Jones and talk to them about a custom street solid roller. I have used Bullet - never used Jones but I've heard good about him from other more qualified sources than I.
If budget is an issue and you can lower the static 1/2 a point I'd go with the XR286R.
If you can't lower the static the XR292R because it will be better with the higher static. the parts will provide.

Wow, surprised me with the cam. Ok here’s the deal. I plan to slap this together with what I have laying around. It’s really gonna be a strip deal that I may put mufflers on and take for a blast occasionally. Im using a stock block that has billet mains on 2,3,4. I may add a girdle. Spinning assembly is from my old motor, MP 4.15, 7.3 BME rods, 1.31 JE flat tops. The edelbrock heads I just got have isky 9315 springs, titanium retainers. I think like 210 seat 520 open. I thought that crane would be good with those springs as the cam that was used with the heads was a little bigger, lift and duration. The crane also has a tighter .020 .020 lash. Couldn’t find exactly what springs crane recommends for the 688801, any idea ? I would mix or use straight race fuel at the track, just didn’t want to burn it up on the street. If the crane will work with what I have I’d spring for it. I have most everything else. Thanks for your time, any more info and advice is
appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Last edited:

If you can't lower the static the XR292R because it will be better with the higher static the parts will provide.
Take about a post that is replete with good advice and observations, this is it.

Just as a side note, I ran the XR292R in a street 451/400 with 452 iron heads at 9.7:1 compression and it still made 621 HP.

Take about a post that is replete with good advice and observations, this is it.

Just as a side note, I ran the XR292R in a street 451/400 with 452 iron heads at 9.7:1 compression and it still made 621 HP.

Between both of you guys I’m sold. Thanks guys
And That’s a pretty impressive 451 with iron heads !

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise guys. Im getting an XR292R from a famous member.
Thanks Bob !

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise guys. Im getting an XR292R from a famous member.
Thanks Bob !
Famous ? That was a joke from the old days of running a Hemi. A machinist that did Roy Clarks work on his private stuff, introduced me to Roy one time as famous bob, because of the old hemi car. It was fairly well known, around here , but had a driver that was slightly lacking ! LOL
A friend suggested that name for fabo , we got a kick out of it .

WILLL SHIP THE CAM THIS MORNING AND LET U KNOW WHAT THE TRACKING # IS--------
THANKS.

How big is ur engine ? Curious .

Famous ? That was a joke from the old days of running a Hemi. A machinist that did Roy Clarks work on his private stuff, introduced me to Roy one time as famous bob, because of the old hemi car. It was fairly well known, around here , but had a driver that was slightly lacking ! LOL
A friend suggested that name for fabo , we got a kick out of it .

WILLL SHIP THE CAM THIS MORNING AND LET U KNOW WHAT THE TRACKING # IS--------
THANKS.

How big is ur engine ? Curious .

Very cool Bob, awesome your a hemi guy. I’ve been collecting parts for yrs to put one together, almost there, 572 hemi.
The cam is going in a 499 with ported Edelbrock Rpm heads, 1.5 comp rockers, 829 lifters, victor intake, 930 pro systems carb, Hedman 2in Fenderwell headers. I just got the topend from a motor that made 660hp. I’ll be happy with around 575. Thanks

Very cool Bob, awesome your a hemi guy. I’ve been collecting parts for yrs to put one together, almost there, 572 hemi.
The cam is going in a 499 with ported Edelbrock Rpm heads, 1.5 comp rockers, 829 lifters, victor intake, 930 pro systems carb, Hedman 2in Fenderwell headers. I just got the topend from a motor that made 660hp. I’ll be happy with around 575. Thanks

You should go North of 600 HP. Did some dyno testing with a bunch of intake manifolds.

We put a set of Edelbrock RPM heads that flowed 309 cfm @ .600" lift on a 500" wedge. Used a cleaned up Edelbrock Victor with a 2" 4X1 Super Sucker and a 950 Quick Fuel. Solid roller 249/255 @ .050, .585/.600 lift. 10.3:1 compression on 91 octane.

577 HP @ 4,900 rpm............

654 HP @ 5,900 rpm. Shut it off @ 6,200 rpm.......649 HP

You should go North of 600 HP. Did some dyno testing with a bunch of intake manifolds.

We put a set of Edelbrock RPM heads that flowed 309 cfm @ .600" lift on a 500" wedge. Used a cleaned up Edelbrock Victor with a 2" 4X1 Super Sucker and a 950 Quick Fuel. Solid roller 249/255 @ .050, .585/.600 lift. 10.3:1 compression on 91 octane.

577 HP @ 4,900 rpm............

654 HP @ 5,900 rpm. Shut it off @ 6,200 rpm.......649 HP

Sounds good to me !
Thanks for all the input guys

Used to be a hemi nut, still am but cant afford them anymore. Was good run while it lasted.
sigh------

A36DE196-8A08-4275-B920-4330FB8561EA.jpeg
Just got the cam Bob, thanks again !

Changed plans, again. I was going to do a 499 with the stuff listed above and your Xr292r, but now it’s gonna be a 540. I had bought a 540 short block a while ago that ate a bunch of lobes on a purple solid and the skirts also. I was told it was an eagle 4.5 crank and 7.1 eagle rods. I tore it down to bring the block to the machine shop and it’s not an eagle crank, I think it may be a Cat (did they make 4.5 Mopar cranks?) the rods are eagle.
I was going to save this stuff for my hemi but decided to hopefully have block fixed up and get new pistons, balanced and put it back together. I have a new Callie’s 4.625 that I was saving for a B1 motor but I’m going to use it in my hemi megablock with K1 7.0 rods I just ordered on sale at jegs. So 499 will be a 540 and 572 hemi will be a 588.
I was already headed to the machine shop with my small block W2 392 spinning assembly to swap in Molnar H beams for the MP I beams, rebalance and get an extra keyway added to the crank and balancer so I can get it back together with a Weiand 6-71 on top. Hoping to get small block done first and running on stand, then the 540 Eddie, then the hemi. Hopefully.

Last edited:
View attachment 1715226967

Changed plans, again. I was going to do a 499 with the stuff listed above and your Xr292r, but now it’s gonna be a 540. I had bought a 540 short block a while ago that ate a bunch of lobes on a purple solid and the skirts also. I was told it was an eagle 4.5 crank and 7.1 eagle rods. I tore it down to bring the block to the machine shop and it’s not an eagle crank, I think it may be a Cat (did they make 4.5 Mopar cranks?) the rods are eagle.
I was going to save this stuff for my hemi but decided to hopefully have block fixed up and get new pistons, balanced and put it back together. I have a new Callie’s 4.625 that I was saving for a B1 motor but I’m going to use it in my hemi megablock with K1 7.0 rods I just ordered on sale at jegs. So 499 will be a 540 and 572 hemi will be a 588.
I was already headed to the machine shop with my small block W2 392 spinning assembly to swap in Molnar H beams for the MP I beams, rebalance and get an extra keyway added to the crank and balancer so I can get it back together with a Weiand 6-71 on top. Hoping to get small block done first and running on stand, then the 540 Eddie, then the hemi. Hopefully.
Just read this---keep us up to date !

-
Back