4spd hump tab

-

Shmaako

Reaction score
Is the purpose of this metal hoop to mount a 4sp console?

20200113_211450.jpg

Yep I think so but there’s two bigger brackets as well

That makes more sense guess i thought wrong!

Thanks!
Well in any case, I think I'm gonna keep it there for potential future considerations. I guess I will have to cut it through the new carpet however...:rolleyes:

Are you using with a bench seat? either way you could make it go away without any harm.

My dad's 69 A56 cuda has one of those, but has factory bucket seats with no console.

It's a very original car that he bought in 1972.

I always wondered why it is there.

I thought it was for console, whether 4spd or auto.
I'm not too old to learn I guess.
My dad's 69 A56 cuda has one of those, but has factory bucket seats with no console.

Build option on the car may have changed on the line. Or somebody grabbed a 4 speed hump that had one added for another car already. Mix ups on the assembly line weren’t unusual especially for something small like that. My Duster had the wrong buildsheets in the seats, the buildsheets were for another car with a close build number and same color interior. Somebody installed the “wrong” seats. Doesn’t matter, but obviously the installer had a different plan than the guy laying out the seats.

The carpet covers them anyway, doesn’t hurt anything to have them there in a bucket seat car.

I thought it was for console, whether 4spd or auto.
I'm not too old to learn I guess.

Ive only ever seen them on manual transmission cars, they’re mounted on the 4 speed hump itself not the tunnel. It was to keep the bench from interfering with the shifter on a 3 or 4 speed manual. They fit completely underneath a console and don’t support the console anywhere. Neither of my console auto cars have them.

It is on every manual transmission 1969-72 A-body I have seen. (possibly others I have not seen also)

In non-console applications, the carpet (or rubber floor mat) goes right over it.

-
Back