5.2 motor mount ears vs. 5.9

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Are the ears on a 5.2 magnum block the same pattern as a 5.9? Or did they carry on with the 273/318 LA design, with the aft driver's side ear being 1/2" farther back than the 340/360?

Last edited:
Are the ears on a 5.2 magnum block the same pattern as a 5.9? Or did they carry on with the 273/318 LA design, with the aft driver's side ear being 1/2" farther back than the 340/360?
Are you looking for motor mounts?

Jake

Although I don't know from experience, I understand the 5.2 brackets would be the same as 340/360 brackets for a A body.

Are you looking for motor mounts?

Jake
Well, I might be. I've got 2 of Schumacher's kits to put a 340 or 360 in a 63-66 A body, and if they don't fit a 5.2 I'll either have to get some that do, or adapt one of these to fit.

Although I don't know from experience, I understand the 5.2 brackets would be the same as 340/360 brackets for a A body.
Since I already have the 340/360 brackets, that's what I'm hoping for.

Just did that on my 63 (B Body)with the 340/360 Schumacher brackets on a 1970 318.Just had to make a spacer for the driver side to bolt the bracket to the block.
For the mount insulators they may be different.

Well, I might be. I've got 2 of Schumacher's kits to put a 340 or 360 in a 63-66 A body, and if they don't fit a 5.2 I'll either have to get some that do, or adapt one of these to fit.
What year car?

Just did that on my 63 (B Body)with the 340/360 Schumacher brackets on a 1970 318.Just had to make a spacer for the driver side to bolt the bracket to the block.
For the mount insulators they may be different.
I think he means a magnum 318/5.2 not an LA.

I think he means a magnum 318/5.2 not an LA.
Exactly. The 5.2 I'm planning on putting in now (I originally thought it'd get a 360) isn't here yet, I was just thinking about whether the mounts I have will work or not.

It's possible it may depend on the year. I did a 5.9 magnum swap in a '71 Scamp and used the 360 Schumacher mounts and everything was fine. Did a 5.2 magnum swap in a 71 Duster and bought the same mounts, didn't work on Driver's side and has to order a 318 driver's side bracket from Schumacher. Now that 5.2 was '93 model, so maybe that had something to do with it.

That makes sense, with it being an early (first year? second?) block. The one I'm getting is an '01, so hopefully it'll have the same spacing as the 5.9. I saw a 318 in a wrecking yard that was a hybrid, '91 or so, basically an LA motor with a magnum front end. I guess it had a 1 year only water pump on it? Strange.

That makes sense, with it being an early (first year? second?) block. The one I'm getting is an '01, so hopefully it'll have the same spacing as the 5.9. I saw a 318 in a wrecking yard that was a hybrid, '91 or so, basically an LA motor with a magnum front end. I guess it had a 1 year only water pump on it? Strange.

Yeah, second year of the 5.2 magnum.

My latest magnum swap was in a '91 TBI 318 Dakota. '92 harness and A-518 trans with a '98 magnum 5.2. They do have a serpentine belt setup on those '91 TBI motors, but not quite a magnum setup, as they have a smog pump on them. They also have(and use) the magnum truck style motor mount pad on the side of the block.

-
Back