5.2L Hp and torque estimate?

-

Gimike812

Reaction score
Just curious what kind of power could I expect from my 95 5.2 magnum, stock heads, cam, Hughes Hug1110 valve springs, mopar electronic distributor with gm hei, professional products crosswind 4v manifold, Carter AFB 600cfm, 340 exhaust manifolds 2.25” into a y to a single 3” exhaust. The transmission is a T5 5 speed. The car is a 64 valiant 2 door.

I have read that the 5.9 stock with a carb swapped on is in the 300hp range. So what could I expect from the 5.2?

Probably no more than a 20 HP bump over whatever it's rated stock. If that.

talking gross? 285.... about 15 less than the 360 mag. Compared to the LA 318, the 318 mag has good compression, good flowing heads, lighter rotating assembly, better ring location and roller cam that is a hair better than the 360 mag. Honestly, should run at least like a factory 340 in a Duster.

Last edited:
talking gross? 285.... about 15 less than the 360 mag. Compared to the LA 318, the 318 mag has good compression, good flowing heads, lighter rotating assembly, better ring location and roller cam that is a hair better than the 360 mag. Honestly, should run at least like a factory 340 in a Duster.

I think it'll be about the same as the stock EFI 5.2. He's talking about removing EFI. Power down. Putting on a 4 barrel. Power back up. The 340 manifolds are a step up from non Magnum manifolds, but if it had Magnum manifolds, and he goes to the 340, power down.

"Whatever" the stock EFI HP rating is for the 5.2 I think will be real close. I agree with your assessment with the stock 340, but maybe not as much torque, due to the smaller bore. But really who knows? It'll be snappy. Isn't that all that matters?

I think it'll be about the same as the stock EFI 5.2. He's talking about removing EFI. Power down. Putting on a 4 barrel. Power back up. The 340 manifolds are a step up from non Magnum manifolds, bug if it had Magnum manifolds, and he goes to the 340. Power down.

"Whatever" the stock EFI HP rating is for the 5.2 I think will be real close. I agree with you assessment with the stock 340. But maybe not as much torque, due to the smaller bore. But really who knows? It'll be snappy. Isn't that all that matters?
the "kegger" intake on the mags kill rpm's. A good dual plane intake will add hp to the upper rpm's and move the shift point up a few hundred rpms.

the "kegger" intake on the mags kill rpm's. A good dual plane intake will add hp to the upper rpm's and move the shift point up a few hundred rpms.

I don't know man. Some people like them. I've seen people make a few internal mods and they scream. But, you're right stock for stock comparing to a 4 barrel intake.

Just my opinion, But the 5.2 was rated at 220-230 hp, and the 5.9 was rated at 245-250 hp (net numbers)
The 5.9 300 hp (gross) crate motor was supposed to be a stock 5.9......
That being said, I would think a 5.2 with a 4bbl would be around 275-280 Gross hp.
Assuming it is tuned correctly

Go one step further and install a SMALL roller cam around 206-210 (reground maybe) and you will get an engine with more power than any stock 340 with gas mileage
of slant 6 on 87 octane.

Need the biggest piece of the puzzle the camshaft. At the wheel probably 250hp a stock tired 5.2 mag dyno ed at 210hp at the wheel

Need the biggest piece of the puzzle the camshaft. At the wheel probably 250hp a stock tired 5.2 mag dyno ed at 210hp at the wheel

It's in the OP. He said stock.

Thanks for everyone who replied. I am thinking about a camshaft swap just have to find one cheap or pull the stock one and send it to get reground.

I know my 2wd 98 Dakota single cab long bed with camper shell was running consistently in the 16s 1/4 mile, with 5.2L, cold air intake, edelbrock headers, into single 3” exhaust flowmaster 40 series muffler, and upgraded ignition. It was dynoed 268hp, 286ftlbs at the wheels, and averaged 16mpg. Was a great truck always gave stock 5.9 RT Dakota’s a workout at the track.

If this motor going in the valiant is just as strong it should be a whole lot of fun.

215 -225 @ 474 - 500
I go for something in that range. 350 ish hp should be attainable

-
Back