5.2L Magnum Engine & Trans Set Up

-

chgr1

74 Dart Sport
Reaction score
I have the following engine / trans system that I was going to put in my 74 Dart Sport but decided to rebuild the original 360 instead. I would have to marry the magnum drive train harness into the 74 Dart and modify the floor boards and drive shaft. Just didn't want to put in all this work. Just wanted to get my Dart Sport back on the road. So now I'm trying to let someone else take advantage of using it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to sell it here, I just want to know if its a desirable set up. Seems nobody really wants it, Is it that bad of a drive train that nobody wants it? I know there some issues with heads cracking but is it really that bad?

Here's the details - Its a used 1995 vintage 318 Magnum Multi Port Fuel Injection engine. Complete with automatic OD transmission and torque converter, front engine mounting brackets, serpentine belt idlers, motor mounts, computer and wiring harness. Alternator, power steering pump, exhaust manifolds and exhaust O2 sensor. Also there is an AC compressor to run the serpentine belt but the compressor isn't any good.

Originally came from a 1995 Dakota pickup.
Its been out of the vehicle setting on the stand inside my shop for 3-4 years. The injectors would probably need cleaned and new injector oring seals installed. It will need a new oil pan and valve cover gaskets because I had them off checking things.

The Dakota pickup had approx. 90 thousands miles on the odometer when I took it out however the previous owner said he had the motor gone through about 1000 before. So engine has @ 1000 miles on it and the inside cleanliness seems to verify this.
The transmission, computer and wiring harness have been inside a storage building ever since it was removed. This is an OBD 1 computer system and wiring harness. I even have the dash and dash wiring harness.

Is it worth anything? Is it just junk? Should I just take it to the scraper?

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

I have that trans setup out of a 95 Dakota behind my mild built 5.9, and since that year is the last year of the hydraulic controlled trans it doesn't need the computer to run it.
That trans (the A500OD/42RHOD) requires zero floor mods on most models of A bodies, but does require a modded trans mount and a 3.5- 4 inch driveline shortening.
It also has the lower first gear ratio that gets an A body off the line RIGHT NOW.:D
We have people looking for that trans on FABO now, so it shouldn't take long for someone to want it.

The 5.2 maybe not so much, but since it might be in good shape it could even make a really nice LA style conversion.
The 5.9 I got from a 90k Ram truck looked like it had maybe 10k on it with cross hatching very obvious all the way up and down the bores and uses ZERO oil between changes, so that 5.2 may very well be really nice inside.

I can almost see it now, naturally aspirated with with a nice cam, 600 cfm carb and overdrive WITH converter lockup in a early Valiant or Barracuda.
I get 25mpg on the hiway with mine at 80mph and 2,100 RPM's and can still smoke tires for a block with a hiway geared rear end.

thanks was just wondering. I thought it would make a nice cruiser combo with very good fuel mileage in my 74 Dart Sport. I wasn't looking for high HP combo, just something mellow for cruising and a little challenge putting MFI in an old Dart. Not now though, just want to get the Dart back on the road. I had my HP thrills with my 66 Charger and its 440 and my 39 Chrysler Coupe and its 383. Now in our older age we just wanted something different we could cruise around. Our now Dart Sport is just like the one the wife and I started with 40 years ago.

But I thought, whats the deal? did this magnum combo have a disease or something? Yeah the 5.2 318 is not as sexy as the 5.9. Heck I only wanted a couple hundred for everything just to get it out of my way.

thanks was just wondering. I thought it would make a nice cruiser combo with very good fuel mileage in my 74 Dart Sport. I wasn't looking for high HP combo, just something mellow for cruising and a little challenge putting MFI in an old Dart. Not now though, just want to get the Dart back on the road. I had my HP thrills with my 66 Charger and its 440 and my 39 Chrysler Coupe and its 383. Now in our older age we just wanted something different we could cruise around. Our now Dart Sport is just like the one the wife and I started with 40 years ago.

But I thought, whats the deal? did this magnum combo have a disease or something? Yeah the 5.2 318 is not as sexy as the 5.9. Heck I only wanted a couple hundred for everything just to get it out of my way.

And you very well may get it if shipping doesn't mess it all up, but for a couple hundred I don't see how anyone could go wrong.

-
Back