5,7 Cam Timing

-

Edsrt

Reaction score
Slowly putting together a 2012 5.7 Ram engine with a 392 cam to replace the old 340 in my Duster. I am planning to lock up the cam phaser with the Comp Cams part. I was wondering if there is a way to still adjust cam timing I don't know if the lock out sets the cam straight up since these cams were made to advance and retard especially after determining cam center line. I was wondering if anyone experienced any issues with a similar setup

The Comp phaser lock does lock it "straight up". Are you going carb, or, keeping it fuelie?

The Comp phaser lock does lock it "straight up". Are you going carb, or, keeping it fuelie?
I would like to keep the fuel injection, I have the truck intake and harness but no pcm so still researching what systems to use that I could afford it seems that this year engine is not well supported by the aftermarket for swaps

I did a swap last summer. 2012 5.7, 6.4 auto cam. Harness and computer from Hotwireauto.com. Did not lock the cam. The harness and computer supported the VVT. Runs like a scalded dog . Went into a 72 Challenger, 4spd., 3.55.

Slowly putting together a 2012 5.7 Ram engine with a 392 cam to replace the old 340 in my Duster. I am planning to lock up the cam phaser with the Comp Cams part. I was wondering if there is a way to still adjust cam timing I don't know if the lock out sets the cam straight up since these cams were made to advance and retard especially after determining cam center line. I was wondering if anyone experienced any issues with a similar setup
You are putting the cart before the horse IMO. Why lock the vvt out for certain if you arent sure what ecu and harness you will be using? 2012 and newer can even use the mopar kit, no?
Unless you are planning on a cam swap? Even at that, the mopar ecu is unlocked for tuning.

Food for thought.

You are putting the cart before the horse IMO. Why lock the vvt out for certain if you arent sure what ecu and harness you will be using? 2012 and newer can even use the mopar kit, no?
Unless you are planning on a cam swap? Even at that, the mopar ecu is unlocked for tuning.

Food for thought.
I checked into the Mopar kit witch is is supposed to be for 2014 car and actually called Mopar performance and was told that told that it will not work on 2012 truck engine. I I asked what was the difference and could not tell me.the only real difference that I could see is the variable intake manifold.

Tooth count on crank tone ring. Changed somewhere around late 2013 early 2014. I forget the exact date. But, that's why Mopar says 2014 and newer engines for the wiring harness. I have a friend who is finishing up a 6.4/392 install in a 71 Charger . He's using the Mopar wiring. I can't say that I'm totally impressed with that harness. With how it's put together, you can tell it's geared toward a complete drive train swap. Major cables on the right side instead of left. Nothing that can't be overcome. Just sucks that if you want it to look nice and tidy, you'd end up cutting open and reworking a brand new harness.

thats right, its not the tooth count, but the tooth spacing on the mopar kits. I have used the holley dominator ECU in the past, and the HP.

thats right, its not the tooth count, but the tooth spacing on the mopar kits. I have used the holley dominator ECU in the past, and the HP.
Is it possible to change the reluctor wheel to the newer one. And where you able to use throttle by wire with the Holley controllers. They still seem pricey

Is it possible to change the reluctor wheel to the newer one. And where you able to use throttle by wire with the Holley controllers. They still seem pricey
The holley setup is pricey yes.
I eliminated the vvt entirely
Used a cam from a early non vvt hemi
Changed to a drive by cable Tb

There may be far easier or better ways to do it now. But that's what I had access to 2 years ago.

Took a base eagle 375 horse engine and pulled 470 out of it. Stock stroke.

edsrt - I too am in the process of installing a 392 cam in a 2012 Ram 5.7. I did not lock the phaser out an installed it straight up nor do I plan on it.

I did a 2012 5.7 6 speed swap in a E body with EFI Source computer with VVT . It ran like a beast, actually reason I have this current engine I am putting in an Demon.

I bought this engine for the heads and was going to go with a 274 cam and possible putting on a Magnuson. Long story short, E body sold and I still had the Ram 5.7 with all the extra parts and a Demon. Also, I had a Mopar Performance PCM kit, but like stated above, only works on 2013 above due to spacing on toner ring, so sold it. Again, with the Demon build I will be going with EFI Source Gold Box with VVT. Worked well on the the E-Body, and an LS Porsche 944 build, tried, proven and easy to tune and self tune.

Additionally, EFI Source can adjust the harness for LS DBC, and they stock the adapter for LS type throttle body. Again, easy and proven.

Last edited:
-
Back