5.7 hemi in an A body

-

ir3333

Reaction score
Just curious about the potential of using a 5.7 hemi...used 5.7's are becoming plentiful
performance, mileage and dependability???

Just curious about the potential of using a 5.7 hemi...used 5.7's are becoming plentiful
performance, mileage and dependability???
Do it! There are many threads on here of builds exactly like you are describing. Read them first before you take the plunge, many of them, myself included (6.1 Hemi in 72 Demon thread) outline our many mistakes and learnings. A little research will save you tons of cash and hours of labor. The mileage drivability and performance is unparalleled.

upload_2021-12-18_21-24-20.png

Start reading- LOTS of good info!

We did a 5.7 Hemi in a 68 Dart in 2007, then a 6.1 Hemi in a 71 Demon in 2009, both cars are still running great and lots of ways to install them have been perfected over the last decade...

Last edited:
You can do it! There are lots of ways to spend as much or as little as you want. Pick a goal/budget and stick to it. With so many options available to you, one can get lost pretty quick. The squirrel "oooh, shiny!" syndrome. Check out the threads here. Any questions? Just ask here, we'll take care of ya!

We did a 5.7 Hemi in a 68 Dart in 2008, then a 6.1 Hemi in a 71 Demon in 2009, both cars are still running great and lots of ways to install them have been perfected over the last decade...
Since there have been changes in the "hot rod" aftermarket why not detail a few of these changes?

Since there have been changes in the "hot rod" aftermarket why not detail a few of these changes?
Well there was only one suspension option in 2008, there are half a dozen now or you can make your own like we did later. The mounts for the trans are available now, we had to make our own along with the custom rear ends we put in, had to build our own components then. Of course the fuel systems have many options now too...

Why bother soon all gasoline cars will be outlawed, climate change, we are doing a great job saving our planet.

All good info guys tx..but wondering about the mileage and performance for a stock style early (2003 2008) swap..nothing exotic. i'e no cam or head changes, modest suspension upgrades..read lo buck.
20 mpg?
13 second quarter mile?

All good info guys tx..but wondering about the mileage and performance for a stock style early (2003 2008) swap..nothing exotic. i'e no cam or head changes, modest suspension upgrades..read lo buck.
20 mpg?
13 second quarter mile?
I think your expectations are on track. The three main pieces that HAVE to be purchased if you want a true "bolt" in are: the oil pan/ pan package, conversion engine mounts, and oil filter block off with relocation kit. These will allow you to run factory K member and suspension. 2010-11 Jeep Grand Cherokee exhaust manifolds will work with manual steering box. 2012 Durango exhaust manifolds work as well. Plus they have a large outlet. Outter steering column tube will have to be trimmed no matter what. It interferes with the valve cover. You'll need a conversion flexplate available from ATI or Bouchillon. Any small blick trans bolts right up. No adapter plates necessary.

tx 408. Great info!
now will a 2008 5.7 in an A body with 3.55's turn a 13.5 sec quarter mile and get 20 mpg?
i've never had magnumitis and have always been happy with stock 340's which are probably 14.8 in the quarter give or take with a decent tune.

A guy would have to run the numbers. I think it's possible. I've never really kept track of the mileage on my junk. It's always been about SPG. Smiles per gallon. Lol!

tx 408. Great info!
now will a 2008 5.7 in an A body with 3.55's turn a 13.5 sec quarter mile and get 20 mpg?
i've never had magnumitis and have always been happy with stock 340's which are probably 14.8 in the quarter give or take with a decent tune.
So here is what I know, virtually any stock Gen 3 challenger or more door SRT at our track (1/4) runs in the 12s you are essentially dropping that drive train into a lighter car. Thus you can crush a 13.

IR3333
Since I addressed the 1/4 mile question I figured I should tackle the MPG question. Like everyone else has commented I have never worried about MPG in my life, drive em, race em, break em, rinse and repeat. My passenger took this pix of my dash for me while I humming down the road at 70 mph. Take a look at the RPMs. Suffice to say I am getting great MPG, I just got no idea what it is! Hah! Basically a bone stock Gen 3 Hemi in a A body Demon. 355 ratio

92B34A03-B7A3-402B-92EF-FE9BFA167919.jpeg

As for mileage,..you guys are lucky.We hit $7.00 plus a gallon at times. At 10 mpg
it can cost $70.00 just to go to cruz nite 35 miles away.
That's $300 a week if you go 4 times and we have at least one every night somewhere!

As for mileage,..you guys are lucky.We hit $7.00 plus a gallon at times. At 10 mpg
it can cost $70.00 just to go to cruz nite 35 miles away.
That's $300 a week if you go 4 times and we have at least one every night somewhere!
Yeh but "juz sayin" your gallions are bigger 'n ours!!

Here is a link to the Dart... 1968 Bullseye Dart*
Love the hood! Where’d it come from? I was thinking of something similar on a 70 Dart. Looks like the SS Belvedere hood if I’m not mistaken? I think Glasstek sells them and can graft them to hoods. I dig the look! I like the wide opening up front, similar to the modern Demon look, but old school cool.

-
Back