5.7 Hemi interference with steering column

-

AussieDart

Reaction score
Hello There,
I have been searching the forums but have not found anything on this so I hope someone may have dealt with a similar issue.
Recently installed a 5.7 Hemi into my Plymouth Valiant. Used Schumacher engine mounts and retained the original K member which used to hold the slant 6.
According to Schumacher's instructions the top of the steering column needs to be notched to prevent it coming in contact with the engine. So that is what I did.
At first everything seemed fine but now I have noticed that when taking tight turns there is contact.
I can't do any further notching. I did use some spacers to raise the engine mounts which did provide a bit of extra space but it wasn't enough.
Appreciate any ideas you may have. I have e-mailed Schumacher but they have not responded, LOL I think I wore Mike down with all my stupid questions during the build.
Almost forgot, it is a colum shift torqueflite.

P1070870.jpg

P1070873.jpg

Steering column engine bay.jpg

Hello There,
I have been searching the forums but have not found anything on this so I hope someone may have dealt with a similar issue.
Recently installed a 5.7 Hemi into my Plymouth Valiant. Used Schumacher engine mounts and retained the original K member which used to hold the slant 6.
According to Schumacher's instructions the top of the steering column needs to be notched to prevent it coming in contact with the engine. So that is what I did.
At first everything seemed fine but now I have noticed that when taking tight turns there is contact.
I can't do any further notching. I did use some spacers to raise the engine mounts which did provide a bit of extra space but it wasn't enough.
Appreciate any ideas you may have. I have e-mailed Schumacher but they have not responded, LOL I think I wore Mike down with all my stupid questions during the build.
Almost forgot, it is a colum shift torqueflite.

View attachment 1715137532

View attachment 1715137533

View attachment 1715137534
Cant elongate a few holes and pry the column over while tightening it down? Think I`d try the floor plate and steering box holes.

Yeah, I'd either see if you have some wiggle room on the firewall anchor plate or the real problem might be the column shift part. I had a column shift column in my car, but the linkage had been removed. I had to trim down a fair portion of it to make it fit, but I wasn't concerned with keeping the column shift parts, so I had more freedom to trim.

Where exactly does it hit?

I know I may be talking apples to oranges here, however, with the TTI mounts in my 67 dart I had to trim off the entire collar and sleeve all the way up to the firewall to make it fit (Floor shift). I can’t find any pics that show it in the car on my phone, but I have this one of the column. I think I trimmed 5” ish off. I removed the lower bearing and the plastic end/collar and just cut and notched the sleeve to match the collar and bearing and reinstalled. I can send a pic of the car with it installed once I’m home... I’m guessing the column shift stuff would have to go... question is could you tweak or modify the column to accept a cable from a aftermarket shifter if the column shift is a must?

Joe

18394B89-2F3F-4988-B006-1D938F3281C8.jpeg

Where exactly does it hit?

I know I may be talking apples to oranges here, however, with the TTI mounts in my 67 dart I had to trim off the entire collar and sleeve all the way up to the firewall to make it fit (Floor shift). I can’t find any pics that show it in the car on my phone, but I have this one of the column. I think I trimmed 5” ish off. I removed the lower bearing and the plastic end/collar and just cut and notched the sleeve to match the collar and bearing and reinstalled. I can send a pic of the car with it installed once I’m home... I’m guessing the column shift stuff would have to go... question is could you tweak or modify the column to accept a cable from a aftermarket shifter if the column shift is a must?

Joe

View attachment 1715137901
Thanks for the info Joe. Appreciate it if you do have a photo of it in the car. From what I have seen I think I am going to have to do something similar to what you did. Just need to work out how to do it with the column shift. LOL, The joys of working old cars.

Here’s a pic in the car, it’s trimmed truly as close as can be. As you can see although there is about 1/8th” gap between the column and plastic valve cover it still clearly rubs at some point driving...

My guess is it rubs on hard decel at the track.

7CBEECD1-2C82-4035-B3EB-3BC489B90ADB.jpeg

I know I didn't have to trim mine that far back, but I also updated to a spool mount K member to give better location to the engine. The old biscuit style mounts might have a little more sag to them to cause clearance issues.

That’s Interesting. At some point I may have you try and measure your engine position, I’d love for mine to sit a bit higher for better pinion angle...

I trimmed mine back and put in a er-16 bearing. I dont have column shift though. I also added spacer washers in the front column mount bolt and made a firewall plate that shifted the entire column down

20171221_203505.jpg

-
Back