5.7 hemi oil pump problem?

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A friend has a 2007 hemi ram and it shut off on him and wont restart. He says it sounds like its trying to start. He said the oil pressure gauge was fluctuating a day previous but then it went back to normal. He had a oil pressure problem when he bought the truck last year(used) and the dealership replaced the oil pump.
My question is does it have a low oil pressure safety switch that will keep it from running? He is about 8 hours from home and stranded.

I don't know but tuck this away "for later." I'm convinced a large part of oil pressure problems on late Mopars is due to an incredibly stupid pickup design. had problems in my 95 5.2 Ram 1500, now gone

On the left is an 80's pickup I put back in, the one on the right is the problem child. Notice how clean it looks. It was picking up tiny soft flakes of sludge until it covered the pickup (happened twice) and dropped pressure

pickup-jpg.jpg

I have an 05 ram with the 5.7. One day I started it and no oil pressure. Checked oil level and it was good. Found it was the oil pressure switch, replaced it and it's fine 5 years later. It seems like it was a chronic problem with that oil pressure sender on a lot of hemi's. That gauge on the 05 is either 0 or normal pressure, not really a pressure number gauge. Again as mentioned in previous posts have stated, try a mechanical gauge first before tearing all apart. I'm not sure if they ever put a true pressure gauge in those motors.

He said he already replaced the sending unit. He hooked up a mechanical gauge today and tried to start it and now it wont turn over. Sounds like it may have spun a bearing.

If the truck wasn’t maintained properly:read, oil changes, the pick up will get stopped up with sludge. This was my pick up on a truck I bought last year with a bad engine. It trashed the crank and rod bearings. Engine was super sludgy. Dosent help if you put something in the oil to “break up” the sludge. Has to go somewhere.

BC666135-C1C8-4FDC-809A-9A6B42F04423.jpeg

235272B8-F2A1-45BE-B59F-5C142AD74BF9.jpeg

95FC65C5-668B-4521-9D4B-1817B8FA4008.jpeg

I was hoping for the easy way out for you guys with the sender. Sorry to hear it sounds more serious. I have almost 80,000 on my 05, but I do mainly hiway driving and change oil, Mobil 1, every 5000 miles.

-
Back