5.7 hemi swap wiring question

-

Shadow9198

Reaction score
I have just place a 5.7 hemi with the 545RFe trans in my 70 charger and my main concern now is the wiring. I have removed the computer and every wiring harness from the 2005 half ton i pulled the engine from. Does anyone have a link or info on what i can remove and get rid of and what needs to stay.

Is it in the car now? I understand that the transmission tunnel requires extensive modification for the 545rfe. If you are at the wiring point I will tell you that unlike the LSx guys there is no website that is going to walk you through the harness. The 04/05 harness & PCM are the preferred parts for the DIYers though so you have a good start. I am currently doing my own harness and I can tell you that unless you are good with research & reading wiring schematics you may want to consider an aftermarket plug & play harness.

Chas

As Chas has noted above, this seams to be top secret information as I too have been looking for a full page wiring diagram. I have started to make my own and will posting it when completed.

You might try Cu440da on this forum. He put a 5.7 and a Viper 6 speed into his Warlock recently. I know he ordered in a custom wiring harness and ecu, but he probably has some good advice for you. His has been on the road for a little more than a month. It's quite the beast and even gave my Dart a run for the money.

I think it was Boden on here that has posted some good info on the wiring. You may want to search his posts in the new hemi section

From Boden,
I am using the wiring, engine, trans, computer, and modified pedal from an 05 Ram 2500. I just kept tracing wires and removing or creating a circuit for each wire one at a time as I went through the harness. I spent many hours off and on over a few months working out my wiring, but I was able to successfully get it running with relatively few trouble codes. I just kept looking up the wires from each connector that led to the main fuse box.

Since you are planning to go without the trans your setup will obviously be simpler. Attached is a summary of the circuits I created. The letters and numbers correspond with what is in the factory 05 truck service manual.

Hopefully you find this helpful.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=184441&stc=1&d=1287721060

If you look for my thread on the speed sensor you will find some information on the subject. I have received replies from both cu440da as well as Boden and can affirm that they are both very helpful individuals.

Chas

To the moderators,
Not for nothing, we need to start a sticky related to G3 Hemi swaps for wiring and diagrams.

The service manuals have pin-outs that are really helpful IMO. On my 03 PCM plug #4 is all transmission related. I now use a manual trans PCM with only 3 plugs. I stripped the trans wiring from the truck's original automatic PCM and ended up with a empty plug #4. On the engine side of the PCM 03, 04 and 05 PCM are the same except the 03 needs to add the wiring for the second pair of O2s. When it comes to CMR tuning the 05 is the most tunable. API can provide a companion tune flashed to the PCM software and then tune on top of that tune. Mines flashed for 750 idle, 140mph speed limiter and 7000rpm rev limiter. There is a lot of tuning available. Good luck..

The service manuals have pin-outs .

That's great but WIH you get them? I've searched, and most of the download links are either fake, redirect so spam, or are old an broken.

I can't fricken believe this is such a secret. I'd LOVE to be able to gain some knowledge and help out on this, but with out online (electronic) manuals, it's hopeless

That's great but WIH you get them? I've searched, and most of the download links are either fake, redirect so spam, or are old an broken.

I can't fricken believe this is such a secret. I'd LOVE to be able to gain some knowledge and help out on this, but with out online (electronic) manuals, it's hopeless

LOL, everything Dodge is a secret..
This is where I have downloaded my manuals.
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/258175-02-06-dr-service-manuals-for-download.html

Don't know if this guy might have something usable, but he claims he has access thru work.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=332144

its a bit late now but tomorrow i will start a new thread where i will post the pin outs on the PCM and integrated power module (fuse box) as well as what plugs correspond with the numbers on the power module. for further info though feel free to send me a message and i will respond when i am able to.

Glad to see my chart is useful to some. I will try to help where I can if you have questions, but I'm often slow to respond as work keeps me busy.

You can purchase the complete dodge ram 1500 service manual on CD for less that $20 on Ebay. This has all the wiring information you would need.

Looks like I'll be doing my own wiring as well. The company IO was working with decided to drop all Hemi stuff and focus on the LS only wiring harnesses.

Riddler

I have drawn up a fuse & relay wiring diagram, modified pdf's of the pinouts from the original FSM, and made a flash with the necessary changes made in HPT format. With this package you have everything you need (knowledge wise) to modify your 04/05 truck harness & PCM to use in any vehicle. I have not had the opportunity to test this, but I am convinced that it is correct. I have designed it for the truck 5.7 with or without the 545RFE. If anybody is interested in this package PM me your email and I will send it when I can. I'm attaching the fuse/relay diagram but cannot attach the many pdf's.
Fuse%20amp%20Relay%20Wiring%20Diagram%20545RFE.jpg

Thanks Chas! This is awesome and the detail amazing! Thanks again!!!! Chuck

The diagrams are great. If you have a stand alone trans there are Ram 2500/3500 manual trans pcm's available using only three of the plugs (C1, C2and C3). An Automatic pcm can be flashed with manual software, but there can be tuning issues. (been there with a 03 auto pcm) When doing a retro install, don't even consider using a 03 pcm. I would highly recommend using a 05 Ram pcm for the best tuning options. Good luck..

-
Back