5.7 in a 64 valiant

-

bigjim64

Reaction score
ok I've got the motor and a mopar wiring harness and I'm sticking with the 904 for now.
what i was wondering is has anyone done this in a early a body and will the SRT 8 exhaust manifolds clear the drivers side ok.
its got a 360 in it now with tti headers so I'm no stranger to that night mare cheers

No advice to give, but I'm watching..
My advice may not be applicable as I am putting mine in a 72 Demon. But you will encounter many of the same problems I have. Just sorted out a big one today with regard to mating the European tranny yoke to the old style U joint. Just one of the many hurdles you will face.

IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1808.JPG

ok I've got the motor and a mopar wiring harness and I'm sticking with the 904 for now.
what i was wondering is has anyone done this in a early a body and will the SRT 8 exhaust manifolds clear the drivers side ok.
its got a 360 in it now with tti headers so I'm no stranger to that night mare cheers
Not an exact for your actual swap ( as not familiar with OEM 5.7 manifolds) but something that's always worked for us, eg getting down to a muffler shop etc after a swap: if say REAR dump ? Is to temp use passengers side with outlet facing forward clearing steering gear/brake booster etc & running pipe forward & under & back.
This should bring a few memories back to the old timers who had/ran '54 & up fords & mercs ,& F100's with the Y-blocks 272/292/312ci V8 converting stock single system manifolds over to duals ( when they were all the rage back then)
As an interesting aside Carcraft put a psi meter on the stock single downpipe system: a tapping after each manifold & @ 100mph got stock w single OEM muffler - 2.4 inches left, 1.7 inches right. Changed to duals with pair stock OEM mufflers & std manifolds: 0.4" inches BOTH sides NO other changes...the best they'd ever seen with a basically stock setup @ 100mph 4,000rpm (police interceptors of the time were fitted STK w duals,160hp)...Point of note dad telling me as a kid the 1st Y-block they got in at work from Ford, they had to remove that HOT exh crossover pipe that ran across in front of the engine & like the young racers they were thought they'd take it for a strop around the back streets late at night & this thing just CAME ALIVE with open manifolds, & a tram just happened along out of the blue, req evasive throttle & lit up BOTH rear skins leaving black lines for 1/2 a block for weeks later ( Dad said only other Car that trounced that was a new 4bbl 289ci Studebaker firebreather)...

So at a pinch maybe that would help ? Temp running a reversed opposite side STK manifold ?.
Good luck. T

Screenshot_2019-03-06-23-23-54.png

Last edited:
You can use srt jeep manifolds but the car/lx manifolds will not clear the drivers side frame rail. I have seen one early A use the factory steering box in the swap but the life me can not dig up any info on it. Every other swap is using a aftermarket k memeber. I had plans to try and make it work with a steering box but those went out the door when decided my build was going to house a turbo.

You can use srt jeep manifolds but the car/lx manifolds will not clear the drivers side frame rail. I have seen one early A use the factory steering box in the swap but the life me can not dig up any info on it. Every other swap is using a aftermarket k memeber. I had plans to try and make it work with a steering box but those went out the door when decided my build was going to house a turbo.

I would like to see that build. I've never seen one done(stock front end). I have a ‘64 273/4spd car. I want a 6.4/6spd set up soo bad, I can taste it! Lol. I actually have a 5.7 right now but have decided to put it in to my Studebaker. The price of a new front suspension plus the engine/trans puts the brakes on it. I figure the whole setup in parts alone would be about 15k :BangHead: I do think it would be a great driving car when done, though.

I would like to see that build. I've never seen one done(stock front end). I have a ‘64 273/4spd car. I want a 6.4/6spd set up soo bad, I can taste it! Lol. I actually have a 5.7 right now but have decided to put it in to my Studebaker. The price of a new front suspension plus the engine/trans puts the brakes on it. I figure the whole setup in parts alone would be about 15k :BangHead: I do think it would be a great driving car when done, though.
Yeah me too. I can’t find it now. I am heading to Vegas in 2 weeks for the mopar event and it was there last year. Maybe it will be there again.

-
Back