5.7 swap dash questions.

-

Elwood blues

Reaction score
After I swap the 5.7 into my 71 scamp, am I still able to hook up the factory dash gauges? I would like to keep the original look of the dash. Also am i able to use the same heater core? I am in the process of getting a brand new dash in and would like to make sure I dont go buying new parts I can't use.

I did this in my son's 73 Scamp. I was a little nervous about the core with Hemi operating at a little higher pressure. It's fine so far. There's a port on the driver's side of the block/birdhouse area. Points directly to the driver's side, use this for water temp. There's an 1/8 NPT port, facing front, behind alternator for oil pressure. The two wire plug on the back of the alternator can be spliced to the existing field wires for your factory amp gauge.

Glad to hear that everything has worked out so far, really takes some of the worry out of it.

This is what I did on my 6.1 for info.
Heater connections. The first photos is how I connected the heater lines to my core - but this is a factory AC car, so may be different than yours if no AC. The ends of the coolant pipes under the manifold were heated and bent into a position to connect to the core.
Coolant Temperature: The second photo shows where I installed the factory temp sensor (with a reducing bushing)
Oil Pressure: The third photo shows the stock sender screwed into a port my the oil filter.
Ammeter: Do NOT connect the hemi alternator output to the factory ammeter wiring in the dash. It is not designed for the high current flows (even the original stock wiring is marginal) I had my stock ammeter bypassed and converted to a voltmeter and the alternator output goes direct to the starter stud- not through the bulkhead connectors
Jim
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/srt8cuda-build.218445/
IMG_2078_1280x719.JPG
IMG_0394_1280x719.JPG
IMG_4550_1280x719.JPG

Thanks for the well detailed information, I might have a few questions when I get to the alternator part on my car

-
Back