5.7 TR6060 Starter alignment?

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Take my 67 Cuda with 5.7 and a TR6060 up and down my driveway, makes an odd sound. I think that the starter is still engaged. It's not cranking, but i think the gear is still engage to the flywheel.

I don't know as there is any alignment or spacers that go in. I just bolted the starter to the bellhousing. I have a dust shield in between engine block and bellhousing.

Starter is brand new

Engine is a 5.7 from a '13 Durango, I changed pilot bushings out
Trans is a TR6060 from a Challenger that came with flywheel and clutch and was installed on the 5.7 with what I thought was no issue.

Wasn't sure if I missed something, or if starter has an issue.

Thanks for any help,
Steve

My guess:
My 5.7 used a plate between the block and bellhousing, similar to the block plate of a scattershield. It's about 1/8" thick, give or take. I have no idea if your setup uses a similar plate, mine was from an automatic. You didn't mention one, so I'll assume you didn't use one. Lack of this plate would effectively mount your starter closer to the flywheel, possibly not allowing for full disengagement. For lack of an actual parts manual, have a dealer look up whether your year transmission setup utilized a block plate. To test this theory, unbolt your starter and insert 1/8" stacks of washers on the bolts between the starter and bellhousing as a temporary test- if the "odd sound" disappears, I think you've found the culprit. Then it's just a matter of locating or ordering the plate, if applicable.

No plate, just the dust shield (14 ga?) between the block and bellhousing. A quick search on some parts diagrams doesn't show a plate.

I have a passenger side starter, TTI headers that specifies that I use the following starter for clearance: MUST USE A Chrysler mini starter part no: 05030076AC

I built all of my trans crossmember, already welded in. I wonder if it would be possible to get a real spacer for the starter if the washers test works.

Pulled the starter out, everything looks like it is working correctly.

Link to the noise, it happens in 1st and reverse just above idle. Does not happen in neutral. Definitely think its something in the drivetrain. It was a used trans, so who knows if something is wrong with it or something I did wrong assembling clutch/bellhousing/trans.

Any help or ideas are appreciated

Steve

Indicate the the bellhousing to make sure the trans is centered?

Yea, oil in the gearbox. It has some metal flake in it.

Trying to get motivated to pull it out, I'll check to see if trans is centered.

Thanks

Have you considered running it on jackstands or a lift and listening to it with a stethoscope? Maybe you can pinpoint the exact location and go from there.

Got the trans out, input shaft bearing is shot as the input shaft wobbles around. I'm not sure why it went bad.

I've watched videos on how to check alignment, but, I believe the inside of the housing needs to be round? How would you measure this?

IMG_7135.JPG

Shipped the trans to Texas Drivetrain Performance. Disassembly showed 3rd and 4th gears got hot, indicating a lack of fluid in the trans at some point before I bought it. Not sure how it was low, there is no drain plug in them. So, paid $2k for trans, bellhousing, flywheel and clutch. Gonna throw $2,700 into it now for new 3rd and 4th gear, synchronizers, input shaft, bearings and shipping.

Definitely would have been money ahead to just buy a complete kit with new T56. That's the risk I took.

I think that we all have been there, but it does not soften the blow.

-
Back