5.9 FI Magnum swap in 73 swinger

-
OK, so I dropped the 904 trans, and pulled the linkage brackets and cables off of the 46RE from the Jeep. COMPLETE and easy compatible swap!! No issues, Just pay attention to they way the brackets mount on the 46RE trans, and move them to the 904! I'm surprised this isn't more popular even on the carb-ed motors, with the right bracket it would prob work.

904a_zps6dd6bee3.jpg

46restockparts_zpscf542404.jpg

904withcable_zps1c9005db.jpg

Merry Christmas fabo!!!!! I ran into my first problem today. dropped the gas tank out of the jeep in hopes that I could get it under the dart but unfortunately it is too wide. not sure what my plan of attack will be now. May possibly be modifying my fuel cell to contain the jeeps stock fuel pump and sending unit that also has the fuel pressure regulator. I have some ideas, so we will just have to see what works.

subscribed...I'm picking up my 360 magnum and 46re tomorrow....wish me luck :lol:

You could use an inline pump, like the walbro gsl 392 and use the vent as the return. I've been doing that for just over a year with my turbo /6 with no issues. Now I did run a larger line for the return and ran a new tube into the tank where the vent was.

I used the electric pump from the donor...look at picture...kept the edge of the plastic tank from the donor cut a hole small enough in the old tank with screws and right stuff sealer it never leaked...don't need fuel return line for 94-5 models...(great!)it is with the pump in the tank

Attachments

• DSC00493[1].jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,710
weather has sucked, so I haven't done much on the car. The ideas for fuel are great guys, I actually thought about doing the same thing rapid. I pulled the pump out of the grand cherokee gas tank. My plan of attack will be to put the stock jeep pump on the stock pickup from the 74 dart. It actually has the return line factory which is nice. I'll be using the s10 fuel filter/regulator in one with the doorman fittings. The s10 one has all male connections making it a bit easier to hook up than the corvette filter/regulator.

so the filter is WIX 33100
31wG3OIAL.SL500AA300.jpg

and the doorman quick disconnects
dorman 800-121 - 3/8 x2
326-800-121.jpg

and dorman 800-120 5/8 return x1
326-800-120.jpg

I did get my LCA's in a few weeks ago, so friday i will be notching the bell housing and modifying the flywheel for the torque converter and hopefully getting the motor and trans in the car!

what is the weather like in texas? it"s 19 degrees here. looks like you know where your going with the fuel

30's-40's and been raining for a lil over a week, 19 sounds brutal! Its been so wet, I haven't been able to get anything done. I need to move my buddy's Typhoon outside in order to get to the motor and cherry picker, but weather hasn't been cooperative with moving the Typhoon outside. Supposed to dry up friday and be sunny, so we're planning on hitting it hard.

what psi is the regulator set to? may work for me.....

and i dont know about just adding the pump. the fuel slosh in the tank could cause cavitation and starvation issues. id also make sure the return and pickup arent too close, due to fuel heating and air-e-ation of the fuel.

what psi is the regulator set to? may work for me.....

and i dont know about just adding the pump. the fuel slosh in the tank could cause cavitation and starvation issues. id also make sure the return and pickup arent too close, due to fuel heating and air-e-ation of the fuel.

I allows for 48-50psi at the fuel rail. The LX Hemi swap guys use the corvette one, only difference is the corvette one has a female outlet. The WIX 33100 is from the S10 2.2 Flex fuel truck. Not sure which year

IIRC ive seen quite a few people on this board successfully mount the in-tank pump to the stock pickup. And the return isn't butted up next to eachother. I've also read to where someone has Tee'd it into the fuel fill neck, so I'll have options if I have issues. Your points are definitely good ones to watch out for , esp with the fuel slosh.

Man, this is incredible. 2 + years ago, I had some major exhaust issues dealing with my car. Longtubes just were not in the picture due to some extensive inteference. I had really given up. Thanks to research and this awesome forum, I had found that my car was in an accident that lead to a junked lower control arm, and subsiquently a very torqued K-frame. Because of this swap and all the awesome help, I now have the a new K-Frame in the car, and also.... the 2 year old long tubes that have been hanging on my wall. It may not seem like much to some people, but this has been plaguing me for a long long time. Thanks FABO Community!!!

I have tons of pics and info that need to be uploaded for this swap and the modifications needed to mate the 904 to the 5.9. As soon as I get some free time this week, i'll get them up. Modifications include, altering motor mounts, elongating flywheel holes for torque converter bolts, and notching the bellhousing.

Glad to hear it's all coming together...great thread.

I'm just starting. I got the slant pulled this morning and the cleaning will begin this weekend...

I know right
..hey. I've got something cool to say,but I'll tell you tomorrow.. :lol:
You are holding up MY swap....jk. I'm cleaning the engine bay today anyway.

Any updates? inquiring minds wanna know...how did the fuel filter/regulator setup work?

OK , where do I start?? LOL

Player1up - I bought this oil pan, Summit Brand P# G3536

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3536/overview/make/dodge/year/1974/model/dart

and this pickup - P# MEL-72-S2

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-72-s2/overview/year/1974

Fuel System -
I haven't quite started on the fuel system yet, and my plans have changed thanks to some tasty Items I picked up at a recent swap meet and also at the pick-a-part the other day.

Oil Pan -
So here is a pic of the oil pan off with the new pickup installed. I did have to remove the oil pump to install the pickup just fyi. I may regret it, but I went budget conscious and bought the 4 piece oil pan gaskets. It does have to be a LA A body 360 oil pan for any of the magnum motors.
Note, I made a small mistake, the holes for the rubber gaskets where the nipple goes in the pan, one of these was not big enough, I should have drilled it out a smidge, but I tried to pull the nipple through anyway and broke it. I got it lined up carefully anyway, but it could create a problem later on down the line with an oil leak.

newoilpickup_zps14375495.jpg

and with the new pan on, note the pics are from different sides of the motor.

newoilpan_zps9dfca6ea.jpg

Torque Converter/Flywheel
My plan of attack to modify the flywheel started with getting the motor back on the hoist and off the engine stand. I Then got the motor braced and sitting on the ground (with tension on the hoist to not hurt the oil pan. I then got the 904 converter (2800 stall) and centered the nub of the converter in the crank. I basically rotated, then finger tightened a converter bolt in, and would look see for alignment on 2 more of the bolts. It took me a few attempts to rotate for correct alignment. Once I achieved correct alignment and finger tightened of 3 out of 4 bolts, I marked both the converter and the fly wheel at the misaligned bolt hole. (This would have been a pain if the trans was attached, plus modifying would have prob of been impossible.)

Oh, for those who do not know, the Magnum motors, the flexplate is balanced and not the converter. So you will need a neutral balance torque converter, so if you have weights on your converter for a 904/727, they simply just need to be removed.

torqueconvon_zpsb213be7c.jpg

Here is a pic I took of the misalignment of the torque converter and the flex plate. This way I was able to see which direction that I needed to elongate the bolt hole in the flexplate. Of course you want to go towards the direction of the converter bolt hole. This pic is looking from the front of the flexplate.

misaligned_zpsac4f2c8b.jpg

At a trip to Harbor Freight tools, I found the perfect tool to elongate the hole on the flex plate. It is a type of drill bit made for "hogging" or drilling sideways. They usually come in a set of 3, I forgot to take a pic of the packaging. But it looks like this, and was about 8 bucks.

drillbit_zpsd9202cf5.jpg

I took The converter off, and used this bit with my electric drill to elongate the hole. It's not pretty, but it worked extremely well, took about to minutes to modify the flexplate. Note picture below is from the back of the flexplate/torque converter side

openedupflywheel_zpsa93adab7.jpg

since I marked the misaligned holes before, I simply did a test fit and now all 4 converter bolts are aligned and and able to be tightened up!

boltinconverter_zps16094ec9.jpg

Transmission Bellhousing
The 904 needed one more modification to be mated to the trans. I needed to notch the bellhousing for the crank sensor that is on the back left of the 5.9. I used the ol' handy dandy grinder for this modification. Since I already had the motor on the engine hoist for modifying the flywheel, I jacked the motor up some, braced it again, was able to but the transmission on a little roll around chair that I have. I then got the transmission as close to the motor as possible aligned the bellhousing bolt holes, and scribed a line in relation to the center of the crank sensor.

bellscribed_zps5ae1f52c.jpg

With the trans still on the roll around, we covered up the input shaft and inside of the trans so there was no aluminum shavings getting into crucial parts of the transmission. Then, with pretty much grind and check, we ground about a 1 1/2 in x 2 in hole into the bellhousing. You will have to take quite a bit of material out of the bell to make room for the crank sensor. I took the factory grommet from the jeep and put it in the notch so the wires would not frey.

cranksensornotch_zps8e07606c.jpg

and voila, we have a mated trans and motor!

transon_zps779066c5.jpg

Motor Mounts
Here is where I lack some information. My buddy modified the mounts from my 318 in order to work with the Magnum 5.9. Due to some bossing, there was some interference with the stock ears. He would grind a little at a time and then test fit till all was clear. Both of them wound up looking like the one in the pic below.

notchmount_zps00ae6885.jpg

...... Fuel system updates to come

I wish the fuel tank in my 73 was good, cause I think I would have copied your fuel system! looks very user friendly!

Get yourself a new a body tank. And do the deed. Dave Weber at modernmuscleperformance.com offers an oem style efi tank with pump. Though pricey at $840
00. So you can buy a new a body tank cheaper than that. And do the conversion yourself

Ok, you're forgiven :lol: Whew, I got the right pan and pickup :D
I'll be starting my "redo" thread in the next couple of days. I spent the last week installing the engine and test fitting the trans.
I'm really looking forward to the fuel system stuff. I have 2 options, I already have a walbro inline pump and a return regulator that I was using for the turbo setup on my slant, and really like the idea of fuel filter regulator ( for ease of use ) but if what you're doing is easier to implement or maintain, I'll be changing my mind.

Oh, do you have to use a 90˚ oil filter adapter to clear everything?

-
Back