5.9 FI Magnum swap in 73 swinger

-
I have a a boat load to still write up, but I'll give you this or the time being....

2 things. I had a major prob not getting spark.

#1 which I refused to believe because I know it had been previously good, my crank sensor was bad.

#2 I had 2 issues with my pcm.

A. most all Grand Cherokee's come with vtss (vehicle theft) and this will not let the motor to not start after so many attempts and if it does start it will only run for a few seconds. the pcm looks for bcm to match vins with vtss, if it does not see the match, it will kill the fuel/ignition.

B. I had a bad pin connection on the board itself which is rare. I think it was due to a fall off the dart's fender so please be more careful than I was! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet man. Getting closer. I'll hopefully be right behind you in a year or two. What did you end up doing for the fuel pump and gas tank?

do you think that the engine would run without the C3 connector plugged in? assuming of course that you had some other keyed source for the fuel pump.

The main thing that the C3 connector has in it is the automatic shutdown relay control. In theory you should be able to run the engine without it, but you lose the odbII connector stuff, and the generator source. You'd have to ground the autoshutdown relay and control the alt with an external source.

well she starts good job. what do you have left?

Good question lol, i might need to make myself a list anyway

I have to get my fuel system secured, it is leaking in a few places
extend the O2 sensors, and have the bungs welded in the reducers
Need to adjust the fuel pressure to 50psi at the rail
Got to Get the car to the exhaust shop and have the mid pipes and x pipe welded in
Having a Charging issue, but I think my alternator somehow went bad, so I need to replace that.
And lastly my wiring could use some cleanup so I'll be redoing a lot of it for a much cleaner engine bay.

I'm sure i'll be finding a few more things to do here soon.

As far as the C3 question, no it won't run without the C3 connector. That's where the CCD bus's are, they are of the some main communications from pcm to engine, as well as the send for the auto shutdown relay.

Are you running the battery temp sensor? I kept the one on the harness and routed it to the bottom of the battery tray. I remember reading that it wont charge the battery it the sensor isn't there. I just drilled a big hole and set the sensor down in so it's pressed against the bottom of the battery like it was in the stock location. I still have to get my O2 sensors wired in as well, mine will load up the plugs if I let it idle for 5-10 min. I had it running for a while over the weekend so I could get it warmed up enough to check the trans fluid level and run it through the gears.

What are you using for a throttle cable and pedal setup?

Are you running the battery temp sensor? I kept the one on the harness and routed it to the bottom of the battery tray. I remember reading that it wont charge the battery it the sensor isn't there. I just drilled a big hole and set the sensor down in so it's pressed against the bottom of the battery like it was in the stock location. I still have to get my O2 sensors wired in as well, mine will load up the plugs if I let it idle for 5-10 min. I had it running for a while over the weekend so I could get it warmed up enough to check the trans fluid level and run it through the gears.

What are you using for a throttle cable and pedal setup?

I'll have to look into that batt temp sensor, i know of it, and I think I kept the jeep's somewhere. I relocated the batt to the trunk, so wouldnt be as easy to keep it installed.

Throttle cable, I'm using the factory jeep's throttle cable. I hogged out the stock round hole to the matching square shape of the jeep's cable achor and pulled it through. I then added a cable clamp to the pedal and adjusted for full travel.

Project has kind of been stagnet, i've been getting crazy busy, so i'll be glad to be back to work on it here soon.

just a lil update! Charging problem, alternator is bad. I painted it when I painted the motor so it is possible that the paint could of messed it up.

My fpr is bad that I got from a swap meet, so I installed the 92 dakota fuel rail, utilized the factory fuel line as a return and voila the car is running like a champ.

All that is left is I have to get exhaust done, then lengthen harness and add one 02 sensor. Should be crusin after that!

If it aint one thing it's another...congrats
For the gauges, did you replace the magnum oil pressure sender with the old one? and what temp sensor did you tie into for the temp gauge?
FWIW I changed over the oil pressure sender to the old style to keep the dummy light and moved the old coolant temp sender into the radiator to use the old gauge. Sunpro mini tach wired just like it was.
Are you running the fan clutch or electric fan(s)?
Did you incorporate a power distribution block into the harness?
...see, I'm goading you into posting more often ;)

I'm subscribed!
My 318 had a hole in no 8 cylinder. Previous dummy, I mean owner, neglected to add anti-freeze.
I'm purchasing a 2001 5.2L from a 1500 pickup. Looks like I have a lot of studying to catch up on!

There are a quite a few of us that have done the magnum swap. Every flavor from bone stock to high $$ builds. Lots of good info here, FABO's got you covered, welcome aboard.

If it aint one thing it's another...congrats
For the gauges, did you replace the magnum oil pressure sender with the old one?

Until i purchase an electric oil pressure gauge, I'm going to get some fittings so I can run the magnum's oil pressure sending unit and also my mechanical oil pressure gauge. I'll take a pic when I get that done.

and what temp sensor did you tie into for the temp gauge?

Still debating this step. Right now I'm using my Torque app on my phone with the blue tooth OBDII adapter. I may stay with this for a while as it is real time data.

Are you running the fan clutch or electric fan(s)?

Stock jeep's electric fan fits nicely, as well as the stock jeep's radiator.

Did you incorporate a power distribution block into the harness?

Yes, I pretty much deleted everything not used, such as horn/abs/highbeams and so forth.

...see, I'm goading you into posting more often ;)

lol, in the middle of planning and saving for my wedding so car is a bit on the back burner. It pretty much just needs the exhaust welded up and she'll be on the road!

This swap is killer; Im going to do the same on my 49 Plymouth. Sorry it's not an A body but this is the best swap thread on the Magnum yet.

Attachments

• av.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 989
mine isnt an a body either, but I agree this is one of the best threads on the swap. my project is a 51 plymouth that is currently in a holding pattern due to life. I need the underhood harness to get it running.

Attachments

• low_1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 941
  • low_2 (2).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 917
Thats a cool Suburban, Jeff. What did you have to do to your firewall to get your engine back far enough to clear the radiator?

Streetdak, How's the wedding planning going? Hope it's going well, July 13 is 17 yrs for me.
One of the things I've learned....cars can wait...wives, not so much :lol:

The consulier purchase absolutely killed my progress for 3 weeks. I'm still waiting for the title.... but finally getting some body work done on the Duster.

Jeff, What harness are you looking for? The harness that has C3 connector? if so, just about any mopar with a v8 magnum engine will work, and you get the under hood power dist block.

falconvan, i havent finished it up yet but the firewall should end up about 1.5-2" back. wasn't necessary but i dont like the look of hammered in firewalls and it gave me more clearance for fans/radiators.

player1up, yeah its the part of the harness with the c3 connector that i need. shouldnt be too hard to find (though most wrecking yards around here see a wire harness and just cant resist cutting it)...

Streetdak, How's the wedding planning going? Hope it's going well, July 13 is 17 yrs for me.
One of the things I've learned....cars can wait...wives, not so much :lol:

The consulier purchase absolutely killed my progress for 3 weeks. I'm still waiting for the title.... but finally getting some body work done on the Duster.

Jeff, What harness are you looking for? The harness that has C3 connector? if so, just about any mopar with a v8 magnum engine will work, and you get the under hood power dist block.

Oh man, it's goin... lol, can't wait till all that is over, but I'm marrying the right girl, after all she named our pit bull Cuda!

Whats this consulier????

And IamJeff and falconvan welcome!Nice Projects! My intent on this post was so that some people had a place to go to find some answers or tips on this swap, A-Body or not, so I hope it helps! Let me know If I can help ya'll at all!

And... we have some more progress!! I got the exhaust done today, I drilled the x-pipe for the O2 sensor since the computer I'm using only has 1 downstream and 1 upstream 02. The important one (upstream) is located in the y-pipe of the truck, so I just mounted mine in the x-pipe I got from Jegs for a little over $20. It sounds great, I just have a few things left and the dart will be crusin!

xpipe_zpsbea142fe.jpg

I must have missed your other post. I'm supposed to be gettin my windows installed this weekend and on the road by the next week if I can manage to keep motivated.
The reason for my delay is here
At least it's mopar powered ;)

That thing is cool! It would go awesome here at our monthly Coffee and Cars! I'd like to have one but not in the position to buy one right now.

Well I drove the dart around yesterday finally! It is like a whole new beast! I can't believe how good that motor runs in that car. With the 2800 stall this thing is a tire scorcher! I'll have to make a little video here soon. It's not the fastest thing I ever built but it pulls pretty good! Way better than the lil weak 318 that was in it previously. So far seems very reliable.

It is running a tad rich, and I'm starting to find out that the PCM is a Mopar Performance Computer from a 1996 Dodge ram, which appears to have 2 upstream O2's, one in each bank instead of just one in the y-pipe from say a 1998 ram. I'm thinking about merging the signal wires together to read off the single O2 in the x-pipe. Might work, or I could just run it open loop at all times, gas mileage wouldn't be as good but it would be drive-able until I came up with a different solution.

With the Grand Cherokee's radiator and electric fan (wired to ignition hot) it is running right at 200 degrees and yesterday here in Houston the temp was 101! I think I will still be installing a 160 thermostat though to get the operating temp down just a bit.

All I have left is to install the new front shocks, get an alignment, get it legal and i'm down the highway! I still have some things to catch everyone up on such as my fuel system and what not, but i'll get that all done asap.

My 99 has 2 upstream sensors as well and noticed the same issue, but if I ran in open loop, it would load up at idle. I'm planning on leaving off the downstream sensor as I've read that it only monitors how effective the cat is.
Does your harness have letters on the O2 wires? Mine has L,R ( maybe 1 and 2, it's been a while since I've been up under the car ) on the upstream wires and nothing on the downstream wire. It's like a wrapped label on the harness side close to where it plugs into the sensor...oh, you are running a different ECM, but does the harness have 2 upstream O2 plugs?

My 99 has 2 upstream sensors as well and noticed the same issue, but if I ran in open loop, it would load up at idle. I'm planning on leaving off the downstream sensor as I've read that it only monitors how effective the cat is.
Does your harness have letters on the O2 wires? Mine has L,R ( maybe 1 and 2, it's been a while since I've been up under the car ) on the upstream wires and nothing on the downstream wire. It's like a wrapped label on the harness side close to where it plugs into the sensor...oh, you are running a different ECM, but does the harness have 2 upstream O2 plugs?

haha, well.... my system is officially a mutt..... Its the 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Harness. I tried to repair the C1 connector cause it seemed to have a loose connection. Turns out that my Jeep's PCM was bad so I ordered a Mopar Performance one from a guy online. I also had to repair the C1 connector so I went to the boneyard and cut one out of a 99 dodge truck harness (thinking color would be the same) and spliced it into the jeeps wiring harness. It does luckily have A24 and A26 (26 is not hooked up at this point in time) upstream O2 signal wires. A25 is downstream and, it is for emissions only.

I would check your fuel pressure, from what I've been reading it should not load up if just running open loop. It runs off of a stored fuel map that is a bit on the rich side. If the fuel pressure is too high it can run rich, or if the injectors are leaking. Now..... it does need full exhaust or it will load up. Not sure as to why, but my car did the same thing until I had the exhaust done. I have the sites I found online about that situation, ill shoot them over to you when I get home tonight. You could also google P0137 (i think)

-
Back