5.9 magnum automatic crank

-
Now, if you did that, wouldn’t that make the trans only good for that undrilled crank and to short for a normal manual trans crank?
I have to find a illustration breakdown of the input shaft and clutch assembly. I'm not sure what the difference is between the bearing and the bushing the bushing sets inside of the crank for the input shaft to set in. Where is the bearing in this setup? In the clutch itself? Or on the outside betweens the clutch and the flywheel.?

This is how I see it, I could be wrong.... I haven’t dissed this bridge yet. I may since I have the parts all here. A 833 OD and a 5.9 Magnum sitting to the side waiting for the day to come.

If you cut the transmissions input shaft down, it is no longer long enough for the crank that is properly drilled to receive it. This making the input shaft a Magnum trans only?

The bearing still sits in the crank at the normal spot.

This may not be the case.
Without a diagram, I’m a bit behind the on this.

I do see 5/8th’s as a lot to cut off the input shaft.

Where is the bearing in this setup?
The bearing we are talking about is the pilot bearing that installs at the back of the crankshaft and the transmissions input shaft goes into and rides on within.
The old bearing “Sweats” and the new bearing is a roller.
In the clutch itself?
The clutch itself has no bearings. Just levers, fulcrum points and springs.

There is the “Throw out bearing” that rides on the inout shaft. When you press the clutch pedal down, the mechanical linkages press the clutch fork backwards and the “Throw out bearing” goes forward to press against the pressure plates fingers to release the clutch. This is the clutch’s disengagement.
Or on the outside betweens the clutch and the flywheel.?
Behind them both.
That is the approximate area the throw out bearing is placed in the resting position. When pressed inwards to disengage the clutch, The bearing rides the input shaft forwards and presses on the pressure plates fingers.

The bearing we are talking about is the pilot bearing that installs at the back of the crankshaft and the transmissions input shaft goes into and rides on within.
The old bearing “Sweats” and the new bearing is a roller.

The clutch itself has no bearings. Just levers, fulcrum points and springs.

There is the “Throw out bearing” that rides on the inout shaft. When you press the clutch pedal down, the mechanical linkages press the clutch fork backwards and the “Throw out bearing” goes forward to press against the pressure plates fingers to release the clutch. This is the clutch’s disengagement.

Behind them both.
That is the approximate area the throw out bearing is placed in the resting position. When pressed inwards to disengage the clutch, The bearing rides the input shaft forwards and presses on the pressure plates fingers.
Thanks so basically the bushing and bearing is the same part one just has a roller and the other is like a burnished fit.

This is how I see it, I could be wrong.... I haven’t dissed this bridge yet. I may since I have the parts all here. A 833 OD and a 5.9 Magnum sitting to the side waiting for the day to come.
Hopefully I won't have to worry about it and my crank will already be cut lol.
If you cut the transmissions input shaft down, it is no longer long enough for the crank that is properly drilled to receive it. This making the input shaft a Magnum trans only?

The bearing still sits in the crank at the normal spot.

This may not be the case.
Without a diagram, I’m a bit behind the on this.

I do see 5/8th’s as a lot to cut off the input shaft.
Hopefully I won't have to worry about it and my crank will already be cut lol.

I put a 5.9 mag behind a 4-speed in my old truck.
Just used the pilot bearing, there was plenty of clearance the the manual trans input shaft.
The 5.9 came from an auto van.

You put the engine behind the transmission? That's a new approach.

let's not overthink this
the usually input shaft bushing sits inside a recess in the crank
the bearing sits where the torque converter sits- much more toward the trans
USE THE BEARING even if your crank is drilled for the bushihng
is someone working on a Corvair?

Cool. I thought there was a difference with the Magnum. I didn't wanna say yeah and screw you up.

Awesome thank you guys very helpful! Tbh I wasnt sure what the bearing was I had only heard of the bushing.

let's not overthink this
the usually input shaft bushing sits inside a recess in the crank
the bearing sits where the torque converter sits- much more toward the trans
USE THE BEARING even if your crank is drilled for the bushihng
is someone working on a Corvair?
No corvair. Lol
It's a 2001 dodge ram 5.9 I'm swapping an automatic transmission to a 5speed manual. Well maybe it not definite yet I havent even bought the truck supposed to go Monday to look at it

-
Back