5.9 Magnum carbed intake ?s...

-

AbodyTim

Reaction score
So, since I let the '65 go and don't seem to be able to find another one, I may go later A. I've run across several '70-2 Scamps or Darts (can't tell from road) that I may be able to buy and really getting the itch again for another toy. Plus my daughter & SIL are looking for another house and he swears it will have at least a 3 car or detached garage for us to play in. :D
My question is about a carbed intake for it. 5.9/5.2s are pretty plentiful in the pullaparts around here and I want to use the Magnum serpentine belt and accessories. From what I can find by googling is that the Crosswind intake has clearance issues with the a/c bracket & compressor but those threads (from different sites) were several years old.
Anyone running this intake and the Magnum a/c setup? Did you have any problems fitting it?

Thanks.

So that would be a needle in a haystack. :(
Is the Speedmaster the same as a Crosswind?
Or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy an Edelbrock?

Last edited:
Thanks. Guess if I do buy another A, I'll either buy an Edelbrock or just go old-school with v-belts.

The Edelbrock is expensive but it had no secret issues when I installed it. I didn’t like the extra long by pass fitting. I used an earlier shorter version.

The other drawback in use of a Magnum is limited vertical bolt intakes and cylinder heads. You can get a few heads that are good for the street and some strip, but choices are low. 1 iron, 1 aluminum being the Edelbrock which is OK stock and really good ported. That and a RPM have been known to run low 11’s if such is the goal.

The new Trick Flow heads can use the Magnum or LA block. The head uses LA intakes which have numerous choices available at a much cheaper price.

I really would have no issue using a Magnum engine in an A body, not at all. Even the A-500 would be welcomed real fast.

Last edited:
Just looking to build a cruiser with creature comforts (a/c & ps). :D It would be a no-brainer if I hadn't let the 360 I had for the Valiant go. If I do buy one of the A's I found, it would most likely be easier to find a Magnum engine around here than an LA but who knows? The cars I found may have 318's in them. :)

-
Back