5.9 magnum damper not true

-

DodgeLad

Skipped the Light Fandango
Reaction score
Hi
This is a 1998 motor. I was underneath and noticed a wobble. The pulley and all else looks good, but the outer part isn't on straight. The outer part of the damper that is attached to the rubber. It's got about an 1/8" or so of wobble. I'm wondering if I can straighten that piece with a pry bar or hammer. And if it needs to be perfectly true. Here is the part I am looking at. Any knowledge is appreciated.
Hughes Engines

Replace the damper, the inertia ring should run true not wobble. 65'

Yup. Sounds like the outer ring of the balancer is coming off. You should replace it.

Hi
This is a 1998 motor. I was underneath and noticed a wobble. The pulley and all else looks good, but the outer part isn't on straight. The outer part of the damper that is attached to the rubber. It's got about an 1/8" or so of wobble. I'm wondering if I can straighten that piece with a pry bar or hammer. And if it needs to be perfectly true. Here is the part I am looking at. Any knowledge is appreciated.
Hughes Engines

Don’t wait till it comes off while driving.
It sucks.

What happens Trailbeast? lol
Will it cause any damage driving it? (if it remains intact)
It's not that old and the rubber 'appears' solid, but I guess my luck has run out. It's only $100 for the Mopar replacement, but a bit of labor. It's nearly impossible not to mangle the radiator without removing it.

I had one on a 360 LA do the same thing. I replaced it with one from Rock Auto. I took the new one to a buddy at a machine shop and had him chuck it up and make sure it ran straight before installing it, just in case! Worked great, and I threw the old one in the scrap pile as soon as I got the puller off of it! Good luck.

The new 1-piece balancer/pulley is installed and everything looks good. Did the front seal too. So glad I took your advice and replaced the original 2-piece unit from 1998. It was shot! Came apart pulling it out.

I have the original pulley still. I guess it may have some use. It can be bolted to aftermarket racing and heavy duty balancers. If anyone wants it, let me know. thx

What happens Trailbeast? lol
Will it cause any damage driving it? (if it remains intact)
It's not that old and the rubber 'appears' solid, but I guess my luck has run out. It's only $100 for the Mopar replacement, but a bit of labor. It's nearly impossible not to mangle the radiator without removing it.

Sorry I didn’t see your question as you didn’t quote me and I’m not on here much anymore.
To answer your question, mine came apart at about 50mph and 3 grand and about shook the fenders off the car till I got it slowed down.
Actually surprised me that it didn’t break the crankshaft it was so violent.

-
Back