5.9 Magnum Smoking Badly

-

HTMLmopars

Reaction score
So I think the Magnum swap forum is the best place to put this, but the engine is still in a Durango. Motor is from a wrecking yard, from an 01 Durango, can still see the cross-hatching on the cylinder bores, but unknown mileage, don't know why it went to the wrecker. Has the EQ heads on it, stock everywhere else. Used the felpro 1008 head gaskets, and the car keeps smoking out the tailpipe, and is running a little rough. the oil looks fine, and so does the coolant. We've been fighting this for a long time, and can't seem to make any progress on getting the thing to run happily. Any help would be appreciated. If I forgot to include any details, just ask.

So I think the Magnum swap forum is the best place to put this, but the engine is still in a Durango. Motor is from a wrecking yard, from an 01 Durango, can still see the cross-hatching on the cylinder bores, but unknown mileage, don't know why it went to the wrecker. Has the EQ heads on it, stock everywhere else. Used the felpro 1008 head gaskets, and the car keeps smoking out the tailpipe, and is running a little rough. the oil looks fine, and so does the coolant. We've been fighting this for a long time, and can't seem to make any progress on getting the thing to run happily. Any help would be appreciated. If I forgot to include any details, just ask.

If this motor still has the beer barrel manifold (kegger if you please) are you aware of all the trouble the factory base plates caused on these? Huge intake leak developes which draws oil from lifter valley, fouls plugs, smokes out exhaust, leans out cylinders close to leak and on and on. They were just stamped steel plate and the gasket blew out on most over time. Many fixes but aftermarket base plates and gaskets available from Hughes and others. Holding throttle plate open look for oil pooling in base of manifold with a focused light beam. Many posts on dozens of forums about this in years past. Hope this helps

If this motor still has the beer barrel manifold (kegger if you please) are you aware of all the trouble the factory base plates caused on these? Huge intake leak developes which draws oil from lifter valley, fouls plugs, smokes out exhaust, leans out cylinders close to leak and on and on. They were just stamped steel plate and the gasket blew out on most over time. Many fixes but aftermarket base plates and gaskets available from Hughes and others. Holding throttle plate open look for oil pooling in base of manifold with a focused light beam. Many posts on dozens of forums about this in years past. Hope this helps

A quick look down through the throttle blades says everything in there is okay. The gasket in there was replaced when everything was apart outside of the vehicle, so it makes sense that I didn't find anything in the center of the manifold. I might be able to get my hands on an inspection camera to really get in there.
One of the parts store employees (I know not necessarily the best source of info) said he had to drive a car around for a while before the smoke cleared when he replaced a head gasket on it. Does that make any sense, and is it worth a try?

Upon inspection with a scope, and taking the TB off, it looks like the oil might be the issue, so off to the Hughes website, hopefully it solves the problem

I have an aluminum plate I made years ago. Worked great until I pulled the intake to go with a carburetor. I think I even have a new gasket. Message me if your interested.

-
Back