5.9l oil pan

-

dieselman966

Reaction score
I have a 360 magnum I am putting in my 72 scamp. I have searched about oil pan gaskets and it seems half the people use the one piece gasket with silicone in the corners. The other half trim the gasket off by the timing chain cover and use the la seal. I would rather use the one piece gasket it at all possible. Can anyone say for sure that the magnum oil pan gasket will work.

I have a 360 magnum I am putting in my 72 scamp. I have searched about oil pan gaskets and it seems half the people use the one piece gasket with silicone in the corners. The other half trim the gasket off by the timing chain cover and use the la seal. I would rather use the one piece gasket it at all possible. Can anyone say for sure that the magnum oil pan gasket will work.

You can use a hammer and dolly to flatten out the notches in the LA oil pan(or use extra Permatex ulta-seal sealant), use some sealant in the 4 corners and use the one-piece gasket.

I found out the hard way, as the one-piece gasket has small flaps hanging down that hid the notches and make for a very good oil leak.

Oil Pan Gaskets (Medium).JPG

Oil Pan pic (Medium).JPG

I say if you are using the LA 360 pan, and LA front (timing cover, etc), then just use the LA 360 pan set. They work, and I've never had an issue with them leaking. Or else, try the one piece, make a video of what you did, and show us the results so we have a future reference. If it leaks, you'll just get to do it again, that's all :)

I'm using the magnum timing chain cover along with the serpentine belt set up.

Sounds like just using a little extra silicone will get the job done. I'l give it a try and see what happens then.

I'm using the magnum timing chain cover along with the serpentine belt set up.

Sounds like just using a little extra silicone will get the job done. I'l give it a try and see what happens then.
keep us posted :)

I used a kevko pan on mine (LA style) and based on posts I read here, and frustration with the 4 piece gasket I tried the magnum gasket with my LA front cover.

I just did an extra glob of permatex in the front corners and went for it. So far it seems ok but I don't have too many miles on it.

Sorry I can't give a more conclusive response, but I am interested in what others did as well.

I ended up using the magnum oil pan gasket. I just put some silicone where the notches are on the front of the oil pan. No leaks so far.

I would simply use silicone or "maybe" (been wanting to try) "right stuff" in the corners

Back in the seventies when I put a SB in my old Landcruiser, I did not use EITHER of the LA rubber seals. The ENTIRE LENGTH of the front/ rear pan cutout was sealed with silicone.......Didn't leak, either.....

On a side note that pan was "created" by cutting a small piece out of a 340 car pan and a 360 truck pan, and swapping them pan to pan and welding the pieces back in........to make the 340 pan "a 360" and vice versa. LOL

I used the magnum gasket with the magnum timing cover. Right stuff in the corners. No leaks. 6k miles or so.

-
Back