5" grinder backer

-

gzig5

Reaction score
I picked up a nice pneumatic grinder at a swap meet a couple months ago. Runs well with a lot of torque and has a 7/8" bushing on the nut. Came with a 5" 36 grit pad on it which is all warped. I just picked up some 24 grit pads at HF and want to use a backing plate with them so I can lean on them a bit but control it while grinding welds and such. Seems all the phenolic plates have a step in them which I don't think these pads are going like getting pulled down in the center when the nut is cinched up. I really need a flat plate, or am I going about this wrong.
Grinder is a commercial version of this
68739_I.jpg

These are the pads I plan to use. They don't have adhesive or velcro, nor do I want them for this use.
69982_W3.jpg

and the backers that I can find.
61TJF911SFL._AC_.jpg

The step is to keep the nut below the sanding surface. Without the step, the nut is exposed and can damage the surface you are grinding.

Just a worthy note as both above are correct.
Watch your knuckles on those grinders. They have a tendency to take skin along for the ride as there is no guard and you are focusing on the work not your hands.
Don’t ask how I know. Lol!

And, those grinders run close to 20,000 rpm. Match a backing plate with the rpm. They are like a hand grenade when they explode.

The step is to keep the nut below the sanding surface. Without the step, the nut is exposed and can damage the surface you are grinding.
I understand this part about the nut sitting down in the depression, but I don't see how these stiff grinding disks are going to flex down into that depression under the nut. I was thinking that these phenolic backers might be designed for adhesive pads and I'm going about it wrong. I've yet to find a picture of this type of backer being used with a coarse disk, or any disk for that matter.

we always just stack up 5 or 6 pads..
then you can change them out without walking back to the bench.
Great idea!

And, those grinders run close to 20,000 rpm. Match a backing plate with the rpm. They are like a hand grenade when they explode.
A friend of mine had a cut off wheel explode and hit him in the face. Full thickness laceration down to the bone. He now has a straight line scar from the corner of his mouth to the bottom of his chin. He looks like a ventriloquist dummy.

-
Back