5 or 6 speed conversion

-

roylerumble

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a transmission swap in my 69 valiant. I'm almost done my small block 408 stroker, and I'm thinking about putting in 5 or 6 speed. I came across a website americanpowertrain.com and they specialize in tremec conversions.
Anyone out there done a conversion with Keisler or a tremec?
Anyone have any suggestions or info?

5-6 speed have been installed in A bodies.

kinda gathered that from the websites i looked at. was wondering if there were any transmission guru's out there that could share their wisdom

nice, took a look, did some reading on the world wide web.

What are the best donor cars to get t5 or t56's from? Where can I find a bell housing for a small block? Does the tail section matter? What about mounts and bushings...

I'm kinda, no, totally ignorant when it comes to transmissions....

Use a quick time or lakewood (sfi rated). You can get the tranny out of a viper, vette, firebird/camaro, mustang. Again if you are gonna put the work in dont limit yourself to a 5 speed.

Everything I've read about the Tremec swaps have one thing in common. You are gonna have to cut the car to get it to fit. It cost around $4500 for a Passon A 855 five speed. You will wait to get one, but NO cutting. Closest thing to bolt in out there.

I'd rather stick with the tried and true 6 speed. I mean if its good enough for 400hp factory and 1000hp cars its what I'd wanna run in my car if I was going manual.

I'd rather stick with the tried and true 6 speed. I mean if its good enough for 400hp factory and 1000hp cars its what I'd wanna run in my car if I was going manual.

X2; in fact that's what I will be installing. Plus, hasn't everybody been talking about the Passon 5-speed for a few years now. I'd do an awful lot of cutting to save $4500.

-
Back