5 Worst Engines Dodge Ever Put In Their Cars (5 That Were Amazing)

-
The 2.6L Mitsubishi used circa 85, has to be on the worst list.

The itsoshitty 3.0
Who ever made this list is definitely ignorant.

Last edited:
J. Jackson states. 'Dodge's 440 V8 was a staple of the 1970s muscle car hype, but during the 1980s it went on to power numerous Dodge, Plymouth, and Oldsmobile vans, trucks, and sedans.'

So wait. There was a factory dodge powered Oldsmobile? Ah, NO!

The Conquest and Starion were pretty decent.
Although unrelated (I can’t even click on a lot those so called articles from the stench of incompetence), I still find it comical that the urban legend is that Starion was “Japanese Engrish” for Stallion. One thing that jumped out at me in the article though… wasn’t the aluminum slant six a 170 only and never built as a 225 block?

Last edited:
The Conquest and Starion were pretty decent.
I guess the 2 heads, 3 head gaskets, and failed timing sprockets on ours must have been normal for a brand new purchased vehicle? Burnt oil from almost day new. Oh, and incidently, at the time the Lemonade report described the 2.6 Mitsubishi as an engine designed to "self destruct". The 3.0L Mitsubishi we replaced it with was a flawless engine.

Admittedly not familiar with the Conquest or Starion.

A buddy of mine had a conquest. It was a nice little sporty car. His was supercharged if I remember right. He tried to outrun some cops in it and ran it in the woods. Then the police dogs got him and then he got maced. Good times. I specifically remember the leather seats being really comfortable.

Im surprised they didnt mention the neon engine's head gasket problem. Although, it was fine once you changed to a MLS.
How did the gen 2 hemi not make the #1 spot? I mean really, a 5.7!

He IS somewhat correct about the 2.7L. I bought a 98 Intrepid at an auction with the 2.7L, before I had heard all the complaints about it. It ran super smooth, super super quiet, with excellent economy. I got over 29mpg with it on a 200 mile round trip on I-5. But after about a year's use, the water pump leaked into the crankcase and it triggered a cascading failure which destroyed the complete engine in short order.

I’m glad 3.0 eco diesel is on the worst list.This is my shop today. 2 long block replacements and one cylinder head replacement.The white truck is a 2021 with the new generation engine. Same old scrap if you ask me.lol.RJ

0A4619BD-42ED-45B6-819D-5DC23D6D82AB.jpeg

Although unrelated (I can’t even click on a lot those so called articles from the stench of incompetence), I still find it comical that the urban legend is that Starion was “Japanese Engrish” for Stallion. One thing that jumped out at me in the article though… wasn’t the aluminum slant six a 170 only and never built as a 225 block?
No, never as a 170 for production. They were all 225's. And it was not a faulty coolant design, it was folks running straight water. That is what ate the aluminum. Now that would not last as long as an iron block, but no way a "worst" engine. And no mention of an iron slant six as one of the best? They produced well over 15 MILLION slants. Any idea how many 340, 440 or Viper engines?

I guess its all in how someone defines best and worst. I agree, slants should be in there somewhere even if they were not a performance engine.

-
Back