50’s male looking for information

Who else has what they need but crave more but have no energy to go get it?

• Suck it up buttercup; it DOES get better

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Make something happen- I will pm you my suggestion.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Try yoga

• Switch to harder liquor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So- Mopar people. I’ve hit that age in life where I am dangerous. I’ve got more money than time. I pick up my smart phone and stare at it looking for something, but feel let down other than conservative tin hat sites (I’m bored with) and well….. here. I’ve got nothing else to kill time. Cars were my hobby but work has taken full focus. Anyone else fell this way. Car projects - well I want them done but the energy is just not there anylonger. Still love my MoPars but not enough to dive in and complete any more.

Im not complaining, I’ve worked hard my whole life, I have money left over in small quantities and feel like I’m buying stuff just to buy. Big ticket items are out of the question- I’m not buying a new truck for what feels like 30%-40% more than it is worth when my current truck is a garage queen. I think I’m bored. Kids all grown up, don’t need Dad anymore, holidays suck, and going out with old friends just mean re telling the same stories I’ve told 100 times before. The wife is kinda the same way but she became an EMT for the local FD. She holds a full time job as an executive with a major corporation. I grant you I am blessed. Everyday I thank my lucky stars but I’m bored. Anyone else feel this way?

No. 57, arthritis is kicking in and being a full time mechanic takes its toll. Im not wealthy, but im not broke either. I want to continue on with my cars and get them done. So we can enjoy them.

At times yes......But if your wife and you have good health which im assuming you do, id only suggest get busy and start living life and find something that interest's you other than cars
Plan a cruise or some exciting vacation with the wife or do what my dream is someday and thats to take the entire family on a all expensive's paid trip somewhere
I cant do that until I sell my house but its something id like
Make memories now
Volunteer to help people in need
I find I can only work so long on my old car, so what I do is a little when time allows. My car is practically done other than some future mods and so im looking for another project
In the meantime I have several non car projects that can keep me going
Your in a better place than so many older folks, try and change your outlook as hard as that may be and best of luck

At times yes......But if your wife and you have good health which im assuming you do, id only suggest get busy and start living life and find something that interest's you other than cars
Plan a cruise or some exciting vacation with the wife or do what my dream is someday and thats to take the entire family on a all expensive's paid trip somewhere
I cant do that until I sell my house but its something id like
Make memories now
Volunteer to help people in need
I find I can only work so long on my old car, so what I do is a little when time allows. My car is practically done other than some future mods and so im looking for another project
In the meantime I have several non car projects that can keep me going
Your in a better place than so many older folks, try and change your outlook as hard as that may be and best of luck
And this is definitely the right track.. I would add try to get your cardio up on a regular basis nice brisk walks or find a hobby that challenges you physically a little bit, push yourself and get your heart rate up and you will find that your energy level will continue to climb. I am 62 and have the aches and pains of being a labor most of my life but I'm in relatively good shape but if I don't keep my heart rate up I get very lethargic and lazy it's a battle for me all the time. I will be retiring next year and I look forward to it very much between projects fishing, hunting, I would like to restore my boat and the list goes on and on things I just haven't had time to do oh yeah vitamins and sex LOL

I have the exact opposite problem !
At 59 I have a ton of interests none of which involve work ..lol
My cars , Vintage Dirtbikes and MX racing /Single track riding , Hockey , Hunting , camping , Skiing , House projects ... I even fit a little time in for the wife .
Covid gave many a taste of relaxation and many people are retiring early so they enjoy life instead of stockpiling more cash than they could ever spend . This is the real reason behind the labor shortage.

I lost my Mopar Mojo. I am thinking about downsizing as I creep toward that 70 year age. (damn that sounds old and only 3 years to go.) One collector car, the one I have never owned, and may be the last one for me. Sell off my two and the parts I have collected and get my life in order.

And this is definitely the right track.. I would add try to get your cardio up on a regular basis nice brisk walks or find a hobby that challenges you physically a little bit, push yourself and get your heart rate up and you will find that your energy level will continue to climb. I am 62 and have the aches and pains of being a labor most of my life but I'm in relatively good shape but if I don't keep my heart rate up I get very lethargic and lazy it's a battle for me all the time. I will be retiring next year and I look forward to it very much between projects fishing, hunting, I would like to restore my boat and the list goes on and on things I just haven't had time to do oh yeah vitamins and sex LOL

SPOT ON !

I get up at 4:45 on Fridays to go play hockey . Pre-Covid it was Mon Wed Fri . I feel so much better thru the day .

Get my cardio up. Damn, I have had foot and knee issues for the last few months and I sure don't enjoy walking right now.

Right there with you. The last two years have taken a toll on all of us. Not sure if you are a believer or not, but I can say that my faith has grown tremendously the past two years. Smartphones are addicting and I have had to force myself to stay motivated. My wife and I have been working hard to become more self sufficient, from a food perspective, so that has taken a lot of time. But, it’s also allowed us to grow as a family. I work for a very large company, but work remotely, so I work from home unless visiting a customer. We also homeschool our kids because we have lost faith in the public school system-it’s not the same school that we went to years ago. Try out some new hobbies. Fishing and hunting give me lots of time to clear my head and spend time in God’s Creation.

Get my cardio up. Damn, I have had foot and knee issues for the last few months and I sure don't enjoy walking right now.
Yeah I get that! Injury suck when you get older. It's always a balance of trying to stay very active without hurting myself. But what choice do we have, we have to figure out a way . like possibly for you a rowing machine fairly low impact and you engage a lot of muscle groups that make your heart rate go up fairly quickly .

Yeah I get that! Injury suck when you get older. It's always a balance of trying to stay very active without hurting myself. But what choice do we have, we have to figure out a way . like possibly for you a rowing machine fairly low impact and you engage a lot of muscle groups that make your heart rate go up fairly quickly .

I was just about to recommend a rowing machine .

Some of that may be holiday blues however I think I know how you feel. I am in my 50s and the kids are out of the house and living their lives. I have my car and it's fun but I don't let it consume me. I play drums which is my relaxation. I had covid bad, and it gives you a perspective that life is precious. I can understand the boredom as you have worked hard, done it all and need a new focus. Maybe you need to occupy your mind with a new hobby or doing something like joining a club or volunteering as suggested. Simple walks in nice places can help too, enjoy nature and attractions. A change of scenery can help too. It will pass, you just need something new or old to excite you and be proud that you worked hard, lived your life right and you deserve to relax and enjoy life now. Your wife seems to have found a focus in being an EMT. You feel left out of it all, you need to find your own focus for the next chapter.

I lost my Mopar Mojo. I am thinking about downsizing as I creep toward that 70 year age. (damn that sounds old and only 3 years to go.) One collector car, the one I have never owned, and may be the last one for me. Sell off my two and the parts I have collected and get my life in order.

I’m kind of in the same boat. 69 my next birthday. Besides my Dart Sport, I have two more project cars. Just bought an older house that needs some updating and remodeling. I enjoy that more than working on cars anymore. Thinking about selling some stuff off, as there’s a good chance I’m not going to finish them. I have put some money back, and feel I’m in pretty good financial state. I’ve had two Corvette’s, and always said I would have another. Thought about a classic, bumper car, but I just don’t enjoy working on them like I use to, so I’m getting ready to pull the trigger and order a new one.

@Syleng1 Damn you are only 51 !
The average man in the US lives till 82.
So you have as many years ahead of you as you have had since you were 18 . You need to think like an 18 year old . Ha!

You need to start a for sale ad:rofl:

Geez, and you guys think millennials are soft (Just kidding, don't cry).
Find a doctor that will prescribe you testosterone shots and get out there and kick some ***! Or something?

Get a hobby something that you really like doing. I used to laugh at my grandparents because they ran their lives like clockwork, but today I understand why.

@Syleng1 Damn you are only 51 !
The average man in the US lives till 82.
So you have as many years ahead of you as you have had since you were 18 . You need to think like an 18 year old . Ha!

Live every day to your best. We’re all just ticking time bombs. I’m 68, and thankful for every day I wake up. I lost my oldest brother this year to cancer. He was 79. 11 years ago, I lost my older brother to cancer also. He was 65. One of my friends is in the hospital dying from cancer right now. He’s only 52. I have lost several friends and relatives this past year. If there is something you want, or want to do, don’t put it off. Yesterday is gone, and tomorrow isn’t promised!!

I suffer boredom constantly... Mid 50's ok shape.. got time and a little money and work part time helping people on there pre 80's hot rod projects.. i.e. something I like doing with people that are enjoying the process...
With that said I try and find projects that inspire me...
For instance, I kept seeing this old mini bike at a costumers and after a year asked about it.. bought it and did a frame off restoration... The grand kids are almost old enough.. until then grandpa will have to ride it around the block every six months or so...:D...
For something different I grabbed a friend and went go-karting, well I seen all those personal karts and started talking to the very positive and friendly people that owned them.. learned to observe the kind and way local kart racing is done as it depending on where you live.. dirt racing road racing sizes of engines and stuff like that... Quickly I got in with a group of guys my age and we just dial each other up and figure out a day we'd like to go and generally have the track to ourselves... Lots of fun...
I recently took up the electric guitar 6 months ago. Just for fun and learning and something to do to keep me from being bored.. I still suck but I've learned a lot...
Speaking of new truck I can't afford a new truck that's crazy talk. But I did buy a 74 Power Wagon that I have a thread in the restoration part of the Forum. I'm inspired by it as I'm finally doing something from the frame up...
This will be my new truck one piece at a time the way I can afford it...
It's snowing and I can hardly wait to go snowmobiling and going up in the mountains. Maybe even this week...
KEEP BUSY DOING THE THINGS THAT INSPIRE YOU...!!!
Fun easy project and easy to accomplish in the grandkids will love it...
IMG_20200811_090027.jpg
^^^the day I bought it.. not running bearings shot a virtual basket case...
IMG_20200821_130129.jpg

IMG_20200828_115817.jpg

IMG_20200905_135009.jpg
Here it is just waiting for the new seat and still looking for a good gas tank but these late '60s early '70s bonanzas are hard to find parts for...
IMG_20200905_130017.jpg

I'll be 64 in a couple of weeks and a few years ago my family Doc sent me to the dick Doc to see about Testosterone he told me to drop my pants and said you don't need it and told me the possible side effects and always tries to talk men out of it, unless it is really needed. He said most men want it because they think it will make them more of a man, there's a lot of Doc's who hand it out like candy.

I suffer boredom constantly... Mid 50's ok shape.. got time and a little money and work part time helping people on there pre 80's hot rod projects.. i.e. something I like doing with people that are enjoying the process...
With that said I try and find projects that inspire me...
For instance, I kept seeing this old mini bike at a costumers and after a year asked about it.. bought it and did a frame off restoration... The grand kids are almost old enough.. until then grandpa will have to ride it around the block every six months or so...:D...
For something different I grabbed a friend and went go-karting, well I seen all those personal karts and started talking to the very positive and friendly people that owned them.. learned to observe the kind and way local kart racing is done as it depending on where you live.. dirt racing road racing sizes of engines and stuff like that... Quickly I got in with a group of guys my age and we just dial each other up and figure out a day we'd like to go and generally have the track to ourselves... Lots of fun...
I recently took up the electric guitar 6 months ago. Just for fun and learning and something to do to keep me from being bored.. I still suck but I've learned a lot...
Speaking of new truck I can't afford a new truck that's crazy talk. But I did buy a 74 Power Wagon that I have a thread in the restoration part of the Forum. I'm inspired by it as I'm finally doing something from the frame up...
This will be my new truck one piece at a time the way I can afford it...
It's snowing and I can hardly wait to go snowmobiling and going up in the mountains. Maybe even this week...
KEEP BUSY DOING THE THINGS THAT INSPIRE YOU...!!!
Fun easy project and easy to accomplish in the grandkids will love it...
View attachment 1715839097^^^the day I bought it.. not running bearings shot a virtual basket case...
View attachment 1715839098
View attachment 1715839099
View attachment 1715839101 Here it is just waiting for the new seat and still looking for a good gas tank but these late '60s early '70s bonanzas are hard to find parts for...
View attachment 1715839100
Nicely done. I would have fun on that one.

I get depressed every holiday .
Sure, i enjoy the time with the children. I don't want any gifts.
I have rooms and closets full of stuff I will never wear, or hardly look at.
Cars I don't have the desire to work on, I get that.
Friends I have a few that I entertain once a year. Always good to see them but,I
Agree always the same stories, I've been trying to get them to do somethings as a group to create new stories.

-
Back