$50 Craigslist 360 EXTREME budget rebuild??

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I got the 77 360 with car oil pan and 904 transmission which I believe to be core. But as I think about it- I disassembled that 360 completely bagged it up and put it in my shed. I'm starting to wonder if I could just hone it out re-ring it put a motor completely together and toss it in the duster and basically and blow it up LOL. But this would have to be done Basically on no money or less almost beg borrow steal and trade and just the barest minimum of cash. And if i can get the 904 together cheaply the wife said see's game to drag it!

Do it! Only, it may not blow up!
Fun on a dime, and race on a dollar is what I've always enjoyed the most. No tears if it fails.
Can I tell ya secret? I've never had a throw together low dollar engine ever come apart....ever

I've done it. It is nothing new to hone a high mile mill and screw it back together with new rings, bearings and gaskets.
You could save $$$ if the bearings are still good and check out with Plastigage. I'd never reuse the head gaskets or oil though...

I'm not happy, i just tried three different ways to post up the pictures i took with no luck.

need a little help. I'm looking to swap my slant 6 motor with possibly a 360. I'm also looking at buying a new rear end. I have never dealt with buying rear ends and need help with pricing the of it. He is selling a 8 3/4 with 410 gears, 42 case. Green bearing. I what to be able to treat the car rough and hold up.
Welcome to the site.
Okay... Start another topic for yourself and ask for help. This topic is about J Par and his quest to build power on a Harbor Freight budget.

this ought to be interesting. I may have a brand 904 gasket and filter kit, I'll check tonight, and if I do, your's free.

I'm down with a budget build. After the stroker is finished that will be the theme for my next engine. Dingle ball the cylinders, hand lap the valves, new rings, gaskets and bearings. Maybe a used cam?

Go for it! Save your lunch money for a used nitrous setup and see how far that 'ol 360 will go.

Go for it! Save your lunch money for a used nitrous setup and see how far that 'ol 360 will go.
if i recall right, the guys at roadkill sprayed a worn out, junkyard 68 cuda 273 into the low 12s, straight from the junkyard. That's pretty quick for a junkyard motor, the 360 would have to be good for 11s on spray right?

Yep if I had to do it all over again I would go that route. Buy everything used. whatever you can get your hands on. Small shot shoot for 11.50's

Bolt a trans and converter to it, and do a compression check. If it comes within 15 psi run it as is, just add a 4bbl and headers. If it has a bigger spread, oil the low cylinder and recheck. If the oil doesn't help much, it might be a valve. Or you could put a little air pressure in it through the spark plug hole and listen for the leak. If you hear it in a breather, not good. Hear it in the carb, pull the heads and lap the valves.

if i recall right, the guys at roadkill sprayed a worn out, junkyard 68 cuda 273 into the low 12s, straight from the junkyard. That's pretty quick for a junkyard motor, the 360 would have to be good for 11s on spray right?

And there was the one that they did that tore the piston top off from not resizing the rings in the "How much nitrous can a stock bottom end take?"
I don't remember how much they got before it blew, but it was the ring gap that killed it.

I vote all throttle, no bottle :lol:

Like mentioned above, spray a junkyard motor and it will fly. It will also fly apart :D
I did about the same thing a few years back.... started with a 25 dollar 360 and some used parts... went 12.9's at almost 105 mph. 4 years later when I sold the car, it was still running great!!!

Bolt a trans and converter to it, and do a compression check. If it comes within 15 psi run it as is, just add a 4bbl and headers. If it has a bigger spread, oil the low cylinder and recheck. If the oil doesn't help much, it might be a valve. Or you could put a little air pressure in it through the spark plug hole and listen for the leak. If you hear it in a breather, not good. Hear it in the carb, pull the heads and lap the valves.
In my first post - already disassembled. Pistons stilll on rods though.

I'm down with a budget build. After the stroker is finished that will be the theme for my next engine. Dingle ball the cylinders, hand lap the valves, new rings, gaskets and bearings. Maybe a used cam?
^^THIS^^ so much money spent on the stroker I almost don't want to use it LOL or take it off and start saving money for some nice aluminum heads for it and keep it on the side. Which means I could use the current heads and cam on this junkyard motor.

In my first post - already disassembled. Pistons stilll on rods though.
Hey, I have a "free bee" 360 with rusted cylinders disassembled. Been sitting for years.
Maybe we can have a "race on the cheap". You and me. lowest dollar/fastest E.T. wins.

That last sentence of my original post has a lot to do with this too. It would be nice if my wife could drive the car on the track. It gets kind of overwhelming sometimes because I have to build the car and load the car unload the car register the car and race the car and load the car back up and take it back home and unloaded at home and fix anything that broke it's just kind of overwhelming. If someone could drive the car it would relieve a lot of pressure off of me. And now thanks to all the offers that will come rolling in now to drive the car all appreciated LOL

I have a brand new set of main bearings That came with my stroker kit and the number 3 main bearing didn't have the oiling hole? So they sent me a new set. I'm wondering if this might be the same size who? And of course drill a hole in that number 3 main bearing. It was for the scat cast 4 inch.

Hey, I have a "free bee" 360 with rusted cylinders disassembled. Been sitting for years.
Maybe we can have a "race on the cheap". You and me. lowest dollar/fastest E.T. wins.
Agreed on the condition that you that you stop derailing my other threads from the second post! LOL

Agreed on the condition that you that you stop derailing my other threads from the second post! LOL
LOL.... I'm sorry :drama:
but you said in your 1st post that you can't get your car to hook, so here come all the Mr. Helpy Helpertons..... :D

-
Back