500" 72 Swinger

-

kbr577

Reaction score
Let me know what you would do? I have plans, but I'd like to hear other ideals. The motor is set!!

20221110_141838.jpg

20221110_141830.jpg

20221110_141827.jpg

20221110_141822.jpg

20221110_141840.jpg

20221110_141833.jpg

20221110_141819.jpg

It will be street strip type car. Steering, suspension etc. Thanks.

I would start by putting in a Dana 60. If you're going to race it with sticky tires there is no point wasting money on a 8-3/4".

Tom

I’m not getting the “What would I do” question very clearly.

From where I sit, is just paint the body color and the primer and start assembling. Once I got to the elephant ears (if your doing those) I’d mock it up and roll on with the project.

On the inside of the wheel wells, (behind the tire area) you could leave the body color or spray on a bed liner to protect and black out the area for more body POP!

I would start by putting in a Dana 60. If you're going to race it with sticky tires there is no point wasting money on a 8-3/4".

Tom
Even more so with a big block!
A very well lightened car could get away with the 8-3/4 pretty well. ET dependent…..

I’m not getting the “What would I do” question very clearly.

From where I sit, is just paint the body color and the primer and start assembling. Once I got to the elephant ears (if your doing those) I’d mock it up and roll on with the project.

On the inside of the wheel wells, (behind the tire area) you could leave the body color or spray on a bed liner to protect and black out the area for more body POP!
EV2 Hemi Orange
Sublime
Plum Crazy
69 GTO Ram Air IV, Concours Red, if done correctly you can't tell if it's red or orange

Always wanted to do a big block A body. Have everything for a big motor except rods and pistons. No A body I can afford in sight.

Your request is vague at best. I would say mini tub it and narrow a Dana 60 so you have a chance at getting it to hook. 3.54 gear.

A six pak hood scoop at a minimum. Alternative is neatly cut hood with a tunnel ram. Maybe a nitrous kit for the well-prepared challengers.

Mine will be an automatic and a mild converter. Street cars make it up on the big end.

Tom
Definitely or a 9 1/4 out of a pickup truck. Either or you will need to have it shortened.

I would also install a US Car Tool stiffening kit, all of it and torque boxes front and back.

Probably going to have to install a roll bar or cage when your et crosses that threshold required at the track you race at. All that stuff is going to make your car handle better, be safer and lower your et.

?? That's a pretty broad question.
Well, first I'd fix those upper fender flanges.
Then you've gotta decide if you're going with under chassis or fenderwell headers. If fenderwell, do the appropriate surgery now. And take into account power or manual steering when deciding on your headers.
And if you're going to run a 26" radiator, do the mods now.
Then paint it to match the rest of the car. You don't want it sitting in primer for too long.
You don't mention if you already have the front suspension and K frame. If you do, put it in. If you're starting from scratch, just get a HemiDenny front end and be done with it. Get the best brakes you can justify- being able to go fast is stupid if you can't stop.
You didn't show the rear, so I'll assume you have that handled.
Looks like you've got an AC car and are leaving it in place... If so, plan your intake choices carefully, even the smaller Sanden compressors need room. And air cleaner selection is a factor, especially if you think you're gonna run the oval housing- it's gotta get modded to clear the AC and the wiper motor.
And start reading up on blower motor modifications or replacements, because the AC blower is gonna hit your pass side valve cover. So, you may as well pull the heater box now, since you'll have to anyway to mod the blower. Then you don't have to bother masking it and the AC fittings off in the engine bay when you paint.
I'm not going to give any opinions on the engine, since you said that's already set.

Last edited:
Also looks like you've got some frame rot that you need to take care of before you go dropping a big block in there.
1670830512022.png

1670830676645.png

Go over the rest of your subframes and crossmembers with a fine tooth comb before you go too much further.

I would also install a US Car Tool stiffening kit, all of it and torque boxes front and back.

Probably going to have to install a roll bar or cage when your et crosses that threshold required at the track you race at. All that stuff is going to make your car handle better, be safer and lower your et.
+1 on all this.

if you're going to do a cage I'd drop some J-bars as well. I'm guessing you're going to fenderwell headers as well?

suspension, it's dealer's choice from some plussed up stock stuff (73~76 set up) to going aftermarket with either tubular bits or a full tilt coil over set up. the tubular K and components will make life easier installing the big block...

at least then you'll have something that handles reasonably well and has good road manners even if it's set up for the strip.

Always wanted to do a big block A body. Have everything for a big motor except rods and pistons. No A body I can afford in sight.

Your request is vague at best. I would say mini tub it and narrow a Dana 60 so you have a chance at getting it to hook. 3.54 gear.

A six pak hood scoop at a minimum. Alternative is neatly cut hood with a tunnel ram. Maybe a nitrous kit for the well-prepared challengers.

Mine will be an automatic and a mild converter. Street cars make it up on the big end.
Yes they can make it up...
With a shot of nitrous

If I ever get to do a B/RB A body, it will likely use a front motor plate

Yes j bars if you go the fender well header route as inner aprons are structural. You’ll weaken them saw header exit holes.

Also looks like you've got some frame rot that you need to take care of before you go dropping a big block in there.
View attachment 1716021287

View attachment 1716021288
Go over the rest of your subframes and crossmembers with a fine tooth comb before you go too much further.
I'd say the OP already knows .... look at the top of the DS inner fender.

You gotta look at photos closely though, that's for sure.

I'd say the OP already knows .... look at the top of the DS inner fender.

You gotta look at photos closely though, that's for sure.
That's what I was referring to when I said "upper fender flanges". Passenger side has it, too- just not as bad.
Maybe he does know, but all he asked was "what would you do?"- and that stuff would be first on my list, before I even start worrying about engine or suspension.

Thanks so far to all!! First off, all the rust will be fixed, and will be painted Black. A/C will be removed, we'll see, maybe a Vintage Air system. Rear will be mini tubed with an 8 3/4. The front suspension I'm undecided, maybe an RMS set up, or QA-1 K frame and upper and lower arms. A 400" based 500" with Trick flow 270 heads and a small roller cam, TTI headers. Also the car will be painted down the road.

Tom
Like the Dana, have a couple in my other cars, but I think the 8 3/4 will do for this car, if not, we'll put a Dana in it.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the aftermarket suspensions? I'm really thinking about the QA-1 upper and lower control arms with their K frame.

-
Back