512 B build almost complete

-

RAMM

Reaction score
Almost there on the 512 build that I spoke about quite awhile ago. Shortblock is completely buttoned up. I think for a stock appearing oil pan that fits great/priced right and has some decent looking baffling the Mancini Racing 6qt is hard to beat. A few pics of the mock up to check for various things like pushrod length etc...... Getting excited to get this one on the dyno . J.Rob

crankinstall.jpg

sealinstall.jpg

pistonTDC.jpg

mockup.jpg

Almost there on the 512 build that I spoke about quite awhile ago. Shortblock is completely buttoned up. I think for a stock appearing oil pan that fits great/priced right and has some decent looking baffling the Mancini Racing 6qt is hard to beat. A few pics of the mock up to check for various things like pushrod length etc...... Getting excited to get this one on the dyno . J.Rob

View attachment 1715741056

View attachment 1715741057

View attachment 1715741058

View attachment 1715741059

I like that damper.

After using a few of them, I've relegated them to the over priced/flashy/trick of the week gimmick column. Oh and they change your pulley spacing which makes them a headache for most. J.Rob

LOL...I figured they change the pulley spacing.

I hit the like button , almost a carbon copy , but I musta missed all the internals on it ------

It would be even prettier if'n it was Ford Blue. Hah!

The plan for the EDE5090's was supposed to be check and a spring change and a bolt on. I just can't do that after looking them over. I hate the sharp edges left after the seat machining and with a 4.375" bore unshrouding them sure couldn't hurt right? I don't have before and after flow numbers yet but will next week. Thus far I have remachined and equalized seat heights and a far bit of intake unshrouding. How much can be seen in the pics. I will probably have this one on the dyno in a week or three now that I see how much work the intake needs. J.Rob

ChamberDeshroud.jpg

thumbnail_20210603_152149.jpg

thumbnail_20210603_152442.jpg

Also I have recently upgraded my Sunnen pilots to full carbide and it was a huge help in terms of keeping the valve job concentric and crisp--many of the Eddy seats were down right angled and oval--not now-picture two you can see the exhaust seat machining--anxious to see the difference on the flowbench. J.Rob

440 Source. J.Rob

I got one on my 505 , makes it harder to see the timing marks , I wanted a black one for that reason , but they were out of the black fluid dampers back then.
But I dont have to time it w/ a light anymore so no biggeee.

I got one on my 505 , makes it harder to see the timing marks , I wanted a black one for that reason , but they were out of the black fluid dampers back then.
But I dont have to time it w/ a light anymore so no biggeee.

The crank is 440 Source, the harmonic is Innovators West and yes its a little tricky seeing the mark. J.Rob

The plan for the EDE5090's was supposed to be check and a spring change and a bolt on. I just can't do that after looking them over. I hate the sharp edges left after the seat machining and with a 4.375" bore unshrouding them sure couldn't hurt right? I don't have before and after flow numbers yet but will next week. Thus far I have remachined and equalized seat heights and a far bit of intake unshrouding. How much can be seen in the pics. I will probably have this one on the dyno in a week or three now that I see how much work the intake needs. J.Rob

View attachment 1715750483

View attachment 1715750484

View attachment 1715750485
Yup, yes, yes, yes, yes!

Revised the valvejob , added a 35* B.C. and unshrouded chambers and a very quick port and bowl cleanup. J.Rob

.1 74
.2 142.5
.3 206
.4 249
.5 269
.55 276
.6 280
.7 283
.8 278

J.Rob

Eddy5090flowbench.jpg

CleanEddyport.jpg

What are the pros and cons of using that head instead of a regular Edelbrock head.

Good question, All pros no cons with these heads as far as I can see.
Pro 1. Price--Check out the price of EDE 5090.
Pro 2. 75CC Chamber has a much nicer shape compared to the 84/88cc offerings. J. Rob

What are the pros and cons of using that head instead of a regular Edelbrock head.

From Hughes Website:
1. The E-Street head uses a less expensive (a little heavier) valve than the RPM head.
2. The E-Street head has powder metal valve seats whereas the RPM heads use ductile iron seats, which in our opinion is a better seat material - it is harder and lasts longer but is harder to machine.
3. The E-Street heads do not get hand blended valve bowls from Edelbrock. The RPM heads do.

Edelbrock stopped using the powdered metal seats in E Street heads about 2 years ago.
They now have the same seats as the RPM heads.

From Hughes Website:
1. The E-Street head uses a less expensive (a little heavier) valve than the RPM head.
2. The E-Street head has powder metal valve seats whereas the RPM heads use ductile iron seats, which in our opinion is a better seat material - it is harder and lasts longer but is harder to machine.
3. The E-Street heads do not get hand blended valve bowls from Edelbrock. The RPM heads do.

Disagree with 1. and 2. I find it very difficult to believe that Edelbrock would employ a different valve between their entry level heads--The part number on the tip of the valve is 27653 GR. Number 2 I can certifiably dispute. I know how a powdered metal seat machines vs a ductile iron seat. They are NOT powdered metal which is surprising because I'm sure powdered metal is less expensive. Edelbrock is a volume production manufacturer-they are going to order guides,seats and valves by the thousands--they are not going to distinguish between powdered metal and ductile iron seats--they are going to choose the vendor which is the least expensive-same goes for valves. 3. I don't really know or care about. J.Rob

If the heads were the same but smaller chambers, Edelbrock would not have reduced their cost so all that makes no sense. Very easy to have valves stocked for each head. No different than the 1000 different valves they probably have to stock for all their other production.

If the heads were the same but smaller chambers, Edelbrock would not have reduced their cost so all that makes no sense. Very easy to have valves stocked for each head. No different than the 1000 different valves they probably have to stock for all their other production.

I've worked in manufacturing almost all of my working life - I seriously doubt Edelbrock is going to stock a slightly less expensive, slightly heavier valve in the exact same length and head diameter for use in their slightly cheaper cylinder head. Don't understand your thinking on the smaller chambers? J.Rob

p.s. Then again the whole world is upside down so maybe Edelbrock is backwards enough to use a different valve that costs a nickel less for a smaller chamber better cylinder head.

I’ve probably done 30-40 sets of E streets........ and well over 100 sets of RPM heads.

The E streets used to have powedered metal seats...... and they don’t anymore.

They do use different valves than the RPM heads.

Final valve job, .007" resurface/wash and assemble. Springs are 155lbs @ 1.950" 425lbs @ 1.400". Should have them torqued to the shortblock today. Also a shot of the squared up cleaned up ports. J.Rob

FinalVJ.jpg

Squaredupcleanedupports.jpg

-
Back