540 on alcohol??

-

62Dodgedart

Reaction score
ok I have KB aluminum dry block and 4.50 Bryant crank...thinking of building a 540 on Alcohol..how much power can be made with it? 440-1 indy heads

ok I have KB aluminum dry block and 4.50 Bryant crank...thinking of building a 540 on Alcohol..how much power can be made with it? 440-1 indy heads

The heads are the limit. Maybe 850-875 if they are very well sorted out heads.

B1 heads will do 975 plus depending on your combo.

If this is a race motor get as much compression as you can. Alcohol REALLY responds to higher cylinder pressures.

build it like this for unlimited fun.

new Pictures 007.jpg

I'm 57 and I run pretty good on Alcohol on Friday nite after work....... Oh sorry. I misunderstood the post. My bad! :(

I've seen that pic of Mr. Shingler's engine a bunch of times and every time I think to my self. "GOD DAM, THAT IS BAD ***! Some day I'll have that, some day...."

Though mine is a 572, not much difference. -1 w/2.25 int, 285/292 .800" ,15-1, 440-25 intake with 2 Eddy 750, 10.5 tire, footbrake. Car has been 9.04@149/3345lbs on 114 gas. Thats pretty close to 900 hp uncorrected. Alcohol and a single Dominator or injection should make overcharging easy.
Doug

The heads are the limit. Maybe 850-875 if they are very well sorted out heads.

B1 heads will do 975 plus depending on your combo.
Sounds reasonable. We made 845 HP on E85 with a 500" wedge and Edelbrock Victor heads, before we ran out of dyno time. Yeah, "very well sorted out" Victor heads.

Sounds reasonable. We made 845 HP on E85 with a 500" wedge and Edelbrock Victor heads, before we ran out of dyno time. Yeah, "very well sorted out" Victor heads.
Hey 52, what does a set of well sorted out victor heads flow ? just curious .

Hey 52, what does a set of well sorted out victor heads flow ? just curious .
Those heads with a 320cc port volume were going 366 cfm.

What does Hughes Engines claim, 355cc port volume & 400 cfm?

Got a mate running a '68 Cuda 540, ally block on alchohol over here, 440-1's, Rons Toilet, 2980lbs...runs 8.80's@152, which is around 850 fwhp.

Those heads with a 320cc port volume were going 366 cfm.
What does Hughes Engines claim, 355cc port volume & 400 cfm?
------Thanks----
I don`t know about hughs, but I bought a pair of cnc`d standard port victor knock offs, had a friend flow one intake port when we changed the retainers and keepers. His flow bench reads lower than most everyone elses "they say", he refigures the actual readings. Mine came out 352@.600, but didn`t go up much from there. Was wondering what they would do w/ a max wedge port. I have read that the max wedge ports don`t really help as much as people think , I ain`t got a clue/ never owned any .---bob

how long can you run the engine being no water is going through it,or is it a deal tow it to the line and send it and tow it back to the pits

-
Back