543 build

-
Reaction score
Hi, is the following build Im thinking of way too far out be brutal let me know :read2:

543 / 440 source stroker
Ext high vol oil pump
RPM heads
509 hyd cam
Weiand tunnel ram
2 x 600 cfm eddy carbs
1/2 inch fuel line high volume elec fuel pump
Orange ignition and recurved dizzy
2 inch primary headers
2500 stall 500 hp built 727
3.0 gears ford full floating 31 spline 9 inch.
3700 lb car

100% street car, will it work and be fun to drive on the street or will it run out of steam before the next stoplight. Actually will it run at all.:munky2:

This combo is way off, first of all the cam, carbs, and heads are too small along with the ign. system and the Tq. converter, also the car weight is heavy. I would rethink the engine that you would want to use.

Well I like the idea. Big cubes and small everything else. It would make a killer street motor but will nose dive around 5000rpm. I say built it and ditch the tunneral ram and go with the performer RPM manifold.

I do agree what was said before that it's not the best combo(your leaving a ton of HP on the table) but it will run none the less and have killer torque. If you go by way of 440 source please have your machinist check all the stuff.

Last thing I'm a firm believer in spending as much as you can in the block and rotating assembly. You can always upgrade the heads, intake, cam and carbs later.

yep more convertor stall like 3500 or so, better gears at least 3.73, and more ait and cam to boot.

You are going to starve that many cubes. Think of a HP440 6pack. Like 1350 cfms of carb and most with sticks or 3k + stall speeds from the factory.

You have a setup that surem does not need to spin very high to make a ton of power,, but that large size requires a lot of air/fuel to work.

And in a heavy ride as BJR says too, combo is off...

Which block? RB is not the best idea because of mains, B will wear out quick because of short pistons. Oil system needs to have external pickup(s). Heads are WAY too small. Start with max wedge ports, and a cam at least 20% larger than the .509. I would be looking at something in the .650 lift and 290-300°@.050 cam. The intake is as good as the long rams. It will peak very low, and loose power after that. Think large.. VERY large runners and plenum, and at least twin 950HPs. The 727 will need to deal with much more than 500hp. The torque will be brutal. A nice street combo is an RB 512, with cleaned up RPM heads or a better choice would be RPMS with one of Modern Cyl Head's programs and a cam in the 270°@.050 range with a big carb or tunnel ram. The pistons are taller, the stroke is only slightly more (4.25), the oil system can be inside the block, and it will last. It will also give you close to 600hp and 600 torque on pump (91) fuel, or higher with porting. Bigger is not always better. You build a snotty big engine, or you can build a monster big wheezer.

-
Back