572 oil system with A body Hemi K frame & mounts

-

604B1duster

Reaction score
I have a megablock and building a 572....
I am now leaning towards a factory appearing deal. Just bought a K frame, mounts and spacers. I’m pretty sure internal pickup is out, so was wondering what oil system and pan I can use without cutting up this K frame and left motor mount bracket ? ..... or should I ditch the 4.5 crank and put in a 4.375 - 557ci internal pickup ????
What are you guys using ? Thanks

I have a megablock and building a 572....
I am now leaning towards a factory appearing deal. Just bought a K frame, mounts and spacers. I’m pretty sure internal pickup is out, so was wondering what oil system and pan I can use without cutting up this K frame and left motor mount bracket ? ..... or should I ditch the 4.5 crank and put in a 4.375 - 557ci internal pickup ????
What are you guys using ? Thanks
u will probly have to go w/ at least a single line external system, Good to 7000. If down sizing, throw that 4.5" crank in my ditch, I already have the single line deal !!

u will probly have to go w/ at least a single line external system, Good to 7000. If down sizing, throw that 4.5" crank in my ditch, I already have the single line deal !!
Haha, you have a factory K ? What pan ? Have to cut/ modify K or mount ?

Haha, you have a factory K ? What pan ? Have to cut/ modify K or mount ?
magnum force front end, no torsion bars, old alum. wet sump funny car pan, single external p/up. Still had to modify the front of the pan a little. The pan has the same measuremnts as the milodon 7 qt rear sump pan. Has a good ground clearance, not like the center sump pans at all.

Just completing a STREET 572 hemi. Engine builder said internal oiling system will live on the street without issues. He has been building these things since 1964 so I tend to listen to his advice.

Just completing a STREET 572 hemi. Engine builder said internal oiling system will live on the street without issues. He has been building these things since 1964 so I tend to listen to his advice.
What block do you have ?
I have a megablock, I’m pretty sure I can’t fit an internal pick up with a 4.5 stroke.

It's the current gen 2 mopar block. It really is a nice piece. Surprisingly accurate machining and finish for a factory block.

It's the current gen 2 mopar block. It really is a nice piece. Surprisingly accurate machining and finish for a factory block.

I doubt a 4.50 stroke will clear any hemi block w/ a 1/2" internal pick up. I raced a 426 for 14 years w/ a 1/2" pick up that I lengthened to fit a deep , long rear sump, hole for the tie rod type pan. A hemi has no more room that a 440 in there, and doubt weather the mega block does either, unless it a wider lower end version, and have never seen or heard of one except for fuel engines.....regardless of what ur engine builder says ! I have also never seen a gen 2 hemi block that the machine work wasn`t right on either !! But I`ve only had two.
A mega block bigger inside than a stock 426 block ?? The oil pump p/u boss in the block would not clear a 4.50 stroke .

This is what I’ve come up with so far.
A 4.375 stroke with a 2.2 rod can clear.
I was speaking with Tom Molnar and he told me his rods use a .200 shorter bolt than the competition’s rods, soo maybe with some massaging of the tube and his 7.1 rod I can make it work. I believe it’s the cap screw that hits the tube. Going to mock it up and check it out. Thanks Bob

Guess I will have to have further conversation with my builder regarding what he has to say. Thanks for the unformation.

Guess I will have to have further conversation with my builder regarding what he has to say. Thanks for the unformation.

If you have a world block I think your good to go. I believe they addressed the issue

I doubt a 4.50 stroke will clear any hemi block w/ a 1/2" internal pick up. I raced a 426 for 14 years w/ a 1/2" pick up that I lengthened to fit a deep , long rear sump, hole for the tie rod type pan. A hemi has no more room that a 440 in there, and doubt weather the mega block does either, unless it a wider lower end version, and have never seen or heard of one except for fuel engines.....regardless of what ur engine builder says ! I have also never seen a gen 2 hemi block that the machine work wasn`t right on either !! But I`ve only had two.
A mega block bigger inside than a stock 426 block ?? The oil pump p/u boss in the block would not clear a 4.50 stroke .
I run this combo. 4.500 stroke, 2.200” rod journals, Molnar H-beams and an internal 1/2” milodon pickup. It’s been 8000rpm with no oiling issues and regularly sees 7200. The pickup boss is slightly re-angled in a megablock.

I run this combo. 4.500 stroke, 2.200” rod journals, Molnar H-beams and an internal 1/2” milodon pickup. It’s been 8000rpm with no oiling issues and regularly sees 7200. The pickup boss is slightly re-angled in a megablock.

What block do you have ?
Megablock or world block ?

Mine is an older mega block. The world block has a bolt (at least the aluminum ones) in threaded pickup boss. They should clear as well.

Wow ! Ok very good, I have an older megablock also, that’s what I needed to know. Thank you very much !!!!

Which pan and pickup do you have ?
Milodon 7 qt ???

Last edited:
Mine is 450 bore with 475 stroke, I run one external line. putting in HDK front end

I run external with a stock k frame. No issues. Although I was running wedge mounts. I’m pretty sure it would work with hemi mounts also.

E8601C99-29E5-4F1B-873F-7B0534DFD5F9.jpeg
BB5CBC1E-DEC7-4573-92A5-4C53CE4823B2.jpeg
C763F1A9-D8C9-4744-B389-DCBBC444F89F.jpeg

Last edited:
this is a great thread , i'm currently going to build a 572 wedge , 4.5 crank n 4.5 bore . i've got pro ported stage 6 chapman mopar heads and mopar max wedge intake matched and flowed . is this a good combo ? going to put in my 63 sf vintage drag/street car . i have a couple external oiling pickup systems . but i read here a internal pickup can work as well . what else shouild i be looking for on my build . my machinist will do the work i tell him to do , so what is needed ? using this block and crank .

DSC00683.JPG

DSC00685.JPG

DSC00730.JPG

DSC00728.JPG

DSC00729.JPG

Currently I have a Milodon #30190 7qt / 7"deep on the Flash....fits nice, drag link clears....I did a small modification to the idler and pitman to lower each approx 1/4". Milodon makes this pan with internal or single line extermal pickup

Will be switching to more of the shoebox style with drag link hole to be correct for the restoration.

-
Back