590 Mp cam

-

GTSDustin

Reaction score
anybody here running the 590 purple shaft on the street? Thinking about putting one in my 440. Gonna be street driven only.

Makre sure you have piston to valve clearance, and the right springs with it & make sure it's degreed when you install it. It's a decent grind but racey for a street car.

Nice Lunati you suggest Rocco. I'd like that with a 1.6 rocker on ported heads.
The Crane ain't to shabby ether. Low lift with use on mild iron heads. It'll still get ya up and running well. Low lift for low maintaince

the last MP590 cam I degreed in a couple of weeks ago...

was 271 degree at .050.....

The Comp and Cranes are similar. Either would work. The Lunati would be (IMO) harder on parts and harder to live with.

I would suggest an alternate manufacture, MP cams and lifters (mine included) have been hit and miss on quality. Andrew

Thanks guys. I have a 509 purple shaft in it now. I busted the side out of a lifter (hydraulic) and tearing the motor down this winter. Figured I'd change cam too. I want something street able with a night choppy idle. My dad uses comp 520/230 in his big block chevies and love them.
Motor is a 30 over 440, MP stage 6 al heads, max wedge cross ram intake. Six pack rods with flat tops. Crane roller rockers 1.5. I even pondered solid lifters but want it to be more maintenance free. If that's such a thing lol

I had a lunati voodoo cam 513 in it few years back, wiped a lobe off the cam. Probably my fault, but wanna steer away from lunati

My uncle ran the 590. He had great luck with it
440 .030 over
L2295s
906 heads
Six pack intake
11.40s and drove all the time

Mechanical rockers should be adjusted only a few times in a life time engine wise. They really should not come loose or go out of wack every season.

Ok thanks. Was also looking at the comp cam 525/305 mech flat tappet

when the mopar 292-509 cam i was running in my 440 powered 65 Plymouth went bad all i did was change the cam to the comp 305-525 solid lifter and reused my Indy 1.6 roller rockers.my et went from 12.05/12.10 to 11.84 in the 1/4, i think i even hit a 11.70 once. now i might of not went much faster but the car was a lot more fun on the street and sounded wicked.

I want something street able with a night choppy idle.

I even pondered solid lifters but want it to be more maintenance free.

Streetability and choppy idles are usually not synonymous with each other but streetable is to some degree subjective.

248@.050 duration on a 108LSA to a 265-271@.050 on a 106LSA is a HUGE jump. I couldn't find any hydraulic cams in the 265-271@.050 duration range.

Truth be told solid cams aren't' as much maintenance as many people make them out to be. I adjust mine once per year. Something else to ponder. Next time you hear someone speak badly about solid lifters. Ask them to how to set valve lash.... The probably don't know how to. I've found it to be the rule.

If I were you this is the cam I'd run.

crane 680201

It splits the gap between what you have and the .590 and will be more streetable. It will still sounds plenty good.

Hydraulic cams are limited to the rate of lift - so when you start getting to larger profiles, they can't really be considered feasible. Plus at that point there's enough perception of " performance over all else" that there'd be little market compared to solid flat tappets.

I like Comp products and use a lot of them. Crane is probably my second only due to cost to aquire. Arguements over "Chevy lobes" vs "mopar lobes" are fruitless. There's lobes that work, and those that work better. Comp has (at least for me) been consistently one that worked better. Certainly made better too compared to MP stuff which is really, really bad these days unless it's for a Gen III.

-
Back