6.1 Hemi into 72 Demon March 2018

-
Those welding goggles look really handy. Do they slide up? I can't wait to see the Demon on the road.
They actually have cups on inside so that they totally seal around your eyes. Super handy in tight spots provided you wear a welding hat. Other wise you burn your forehead off. Ask me how I know.

They actually have cups on inside so that they totally seal around your eyes. Super handy in tight spots provided you wear a welding hat. Other wise you burn your forehead off. Ask me how I know.
Hah. Ya I understand the burn thing. I forgot my gloves the other day on a big weld and gave the back of my left hand a hell of a sun burn. Those googles without a hood I'll bet you looked pretty funny for a while. After I asked you about them I watched a youtube video review. The guy used a sock like thing that blocked UV. Firefighters use them. Looked rather warm to wear but really covered every thing.

Should any one want to attempt this I strongly suggest you hire a midget yoga instructor that knows how to weld. It was like having sex with an 18 year old.

head ask me what I know about inner fenders? Jack Sh**! But there are a multitude of folks on this forum that are genuine and highly skilled in areas I am not. These guys never hesitate to share knowledge with some one. FABO rocks! Pix are attached of latest progress. My apologies that this got so long winded!

I'm impressed you remember what it was like to have sex with an 18 year old!

Sounds like you are about to replace the inner fenders (aprons). That passenger side is Swiss cheese.
Repops are available. Just inspect your existing ones carefully and look for the spot welds every couple inches around the perimeter. I use a Blair spot weld cutter and drill them out. It helps a lot to center punch each weld in the center and then drill. Then pry the panels apart. It also would help to have new ones on hand as it makes it very clear what needs to be done.

Nice build and worth doing it right.

Sounds like you are about to replace the inner fenders (aprons). That passenger side is Swiss cheese.
Repops are available. Just inspect your existing ones carefully and look for the spot welds every couple inches around the perimeter. I use a Blair spot weld cutter and drill them out. It helps a lot to center punch each weld in the center and then drill. Then pry the panels apart. It also would help to have new ones on hand as it makes it very clear what needs to be done.

I have ordered AMD parts per multiple folks input that I hold in high regard on here. I have never done an inner fender in my life. Fact is if you don't count hookers and titanium knees I have never ordered a body part in my life. There are a couple of savvy body guys on FABO that humor my dumb questions! If I follow their advice it generally turns out just like they explain it will.

Those annular cutters (Blair) are pretty handy and expensive. There certainly is a lot of tools out there that are up to the job. Wivco makes a dandy cutter too butt it's not annular. I have learned to sharpen the wivco type cutters. The repetitiveness of the drilling motion has sure taken it's toll on me. I generally default to the 3" fiber cut-off wheels.

maxresdefault.jpg

There is always this if you have an extra $400 in your pocket.

View attachment 1715301884
There is always this if you have an extra $400 in your pocket.
I got about a million miles on pipe and chicken plants driving a 3 inch cutoff wheel. I swear I can use it like most folks use a pencil. It is my solve everything tool. I appreciate the beauty of using the correct tool for the job but I am not going to invest in a tool for spot welds. I am just to cheap! Figure it is kind of like blowing a bearing off a shaft and never nicking the shaft. I can use a zip wheel just like that! You guys rock.

I got about a million miles on pipe and chicken plants driving a 3 inch cutoff wheel. I swear I can use it like most folks use a pencil. It is my solve everything tool. I appreciate the beauty of using the correct tool for the job but I am not going to invest in a tool for spot welds. I am just to cheap! Figure it is kind of like blowing a bearing off a shaft and never nicking the shaft. I can use a zip wheel just like that! You guys rock.
I thought I would be there to help but looks like I will be there to watch. lol

Be here to watch heck, I am going to be mixing drinks and talking smack while you work!
Deal!I like that idea. Gonna give you the tape measure to keep everything square and we can drink with one hand and work with the other.
Kinda like a team effort as long as we get the inners right I'll be happy.
We might end up welding them to the wrong end of the car but will have a good time anyway. LOL

Deal!I like that idea. Gonna give you the tape measure to keep everything square and we can drink with one hand and work with the other.
Kinda like a team effort as long as we get the inners right I'll be happy.
We might end up welding them to the wrong end of the car but will have a good time anyway. LOL
Hah! I am out in shop nursing the hound. When she gets all wigged out I take her to the shop and she mellows right out. She did not do well at vet today. Wife can't manage her when she decides she has had enough. We are in shop sipping whiskey and listening to some Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart and wiring up new wire feed welder.

Hah! I am out in shop nursing the hound. When she gets all wigged out I take her to the shop and she mellows right out. She did not do well at vet today. Wife can't manage her when she decides she has had enough. We are in shop sipping whiskey and listening to some Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart and wiring up new wire feed welder.
What welder did ya get?

LOL looks like I better bring Hemi some jerky treats.
Good music crank it up.

View attachment 1715302017 Found a brand new never even put together yet Lincoln 180 Pro at a pawn shop. 492 dollars all in. Complete with two spools of wire, all leads, regulator and gun. Thing had never even been assembled! Score!
I got the power mig 210. Not real happy with it. The start up is a little delayed on the trigger pull and makes it hard to fill. Already burned up 2 tips and I never burn tips. Double check your tips. They went metric.

I got the power mig 210. Not real happy with it. The start up is a little delayed on the trigger pull and makes it hard to fill. Already burned up 2 tips and I never burn tips. Double check your tips. They went metric.
Metric not good, I will check. I have to buy some tips before I fire it off. Hate delay on triggers.

So today I began the ardorous tasks of replacing the inner fenders. I started with unbolting outside fenders. Much to my dismay they are heavily welded so rather than risk being stupid I went as far as my skill set will allow. I will wait on the Calvary to show up and guide me thru rest of process. I simply did not know where fender stops and starts due to all the welding. I thought fenders were bolt ons? Anyway I will wait for Fred to swing by and guide me thru the next steps. My default setting is always a bit Neanderthal so I have learned over the years to be patient. That led me to the radiator core support. The dumb thing had a zillion tacks in it. It came out in about twenty pieces, it was a fight start to finish. I got it going my way now tho. Fred I will send you a PM and we can sort out a mercy trip to Fargo. I will make it worth your while! Might even take you to Walmart to chase the local talent! Hah!

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2039.JPG

So today Fred of FABO fame and a world renowned body man dropped by my shop. All I can say is WOW, what a difference having an actual professional body man in the shop makes. We tackled replacing the inner fenders today. Clearly I had no idea what I was doing so I swilled beer and just drove the grinder and welded when and where he told me to. It worked out great. I am thrilled with results and very glad i chose to do it right instead of being my normal welder type self. I can weld all day on virtually anything but I have zero skill doing body work. Fred made it easy for me. And yes my fearless hound is still rocking the cone of shame. She loves Fred as he always spoils her with treats!

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

brand new!
Yep, decided to actually do it right instead of being pressured to get to paint on schedule. While I will now miss my self imposed dead lines she will look nice each and every time I open the hood. Denny, there is no amount of gratitude I can express to folks like yourself and others on FABO that inspire me each and every day. Whether it is a restored drag car or the rambling chatter of the coffee club this site has driven me to be better than I am. My sincere thanks, did I mention you and your team fabricate one righteous K member? Me and the hound did not get much done today as a neighbor showed up in the shop and forced me to listen to music, talk Mopar smack, and drink adult beverages all day. He also owns an A body. In fact he has the Scat Pack bee tattooed on his arm. Reckon it was still a good day.

So I have had a tuff couple of weeks, I landed myself in urgent care for a serious internal infection. My boss retired and I got a new boss, and I have been going to school trying to get some additional certifications for teaching. Ok done whining, that was my long winded apology for abandoning the Demon for a couple of weeks. This weekend armed with the knowledge FABO Fred taught me a few weeks back I tackled the other inner fender and also the radiator support. The millwright in me was quite anal about scribing witness marks for reference and also making a detailed drawing with dimensions of the nose clip. Experienced body guys will likely scoff but I have zero experience so I was being double dog sure for placement. I can't stress that enough as once you remove the inner everything is swinging in the breeze. During reassembly you want to ensure everything is as square and true as was original. Also please note the pix with gray primer. That is a weldable paint that you spray everywhere you ground off factory paint on both new parts and old. Thanks Fred. Anyway once parts are prepped and painted get a bunch of clamps, refer to your drawing and go for it. It was much easier when Fred was here so I ended up replacing his third hand with a porta power. Two hands was just not enough. I am typically always working alone so I am used to using clamps etc to hold stuff while I tack. In the end I got both the inner fender and radiator support done. Woo Hoo.

IMG_2108.JPG

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

Tomorrow I am going to tackle filling in the floor pan junction at the tunnel. Then I am real close to paint time. I can only work Saturday as I am at range on Sunday trying to get some fancy certifications. I will have to shoot offhand pistol from several different distances and keep all shots inside a 4 inch circle to pass. Sadly I have old welders eyes and it is hard for me to see both target and sights at same time!

-
Back