6.1 Hemi into 72 Demon March 2018

-
Your grandson is doing an excellent job on that pie dough.

Happy Thanksgiving.

And the car is looking good too.

I will start with some pix of progress. And an apology for letting this thread lay dormant for almost a year. I just got the car back from paint very recently after 9 months in paint shop purgatory. I simply did not see the point of just rambling on this thread and continually whining about the car being stuck at paint shop. It was taking me to a dark place of both frustration and resentment for the car. So I chose to move on to positive things and focus on competing and teaching all things firearms training. It was a nice break but now it is time to reengage.

4D4C53C0-FCE0-420A-B254-79707048917B.jpeg

2D6B9695-19BD-4061-962F-050DCFA7D8F0.jpeg

D701E2B5-27D1-4B2A-92D1-4D365F3B1D9B.jpeg

50A418B1-1FBB-484A-A477-F5614EE1D746.jpeg

As you can likely see I have mounted wheels and tires, opting to maintain my Sublime and Black theme that is prevalent on most of my rigs. I am sorting out the plumbing aspect and have my pedals mocked up ready for mounting to the floor. I will then have wife sit is car to locate seat placement so she can depress clutch.

89A3296C-FC65-4485-9AB8-7AC3ED42DEDF.jpeg

0267EF4A-E47F-4615-A263-6C3F17311568.jpeg

Glad to see it home again so keep us posted on progress, looking good John.
I like the wheels and Hemi needs a treat she looks skinny. lol

I am also sorting out the wiring aspect for the dash. It is a bit of a struggle integrating the Holley EFI system and the Dakota dash. Dakota requires you utilize their components to read correctly with their dash. I have most of the harness done. Make no mistake this is the outside edge of my electrical ability. Appears I can’t weld it so I am stuck using alternate methods! Like reading the directions and schematics. My new hurdle is there is no Holley tranny harnesses so I will need to explore OEM wiring diagram and figure out which pin on the plug is for back up lights and neutral safety switch. I will utilize GPS for speed sensor so that portion is not so bad.

B977B0CB-C286-44A3-9E3C-D974936E8DFC.jpeg

3F34F7CB-4BEB-4BA2-A7EC-5A3A00774AEF.jpeg

FFC9BCFB-05C5-4D01-90BF-343EB84EC309.jpeg

62BBC740-8519-43DA-BDDD-1A4951826BA2.jpeg

And yes I use survey tape to alert me to a plug or connector that I need to resolve something on. This way I don’t stuff the motor back in the car with something done 1/2 way. I also use a lot of Manila tags for reference. It saves me rethinking this or that. You will also see the monster 90 degree rubber coupling on the throttle body. It is just a place holder for sorting out the CAI I will fabricate one out of aluminum for finish version. I also swapped out the oil separator and the throttle body.

So this weeks hurdles were ignition capacitor located on back side of both heads. Turns out I need both to keep Holley happy, only needed one to keep stock harness happy. I took said piece off and to local Dodge dealer. They explained it is a discontinued part. WTF it is a 2010? I also had to order crank bolts as I need to remove two and swap the long stud out to relocate oil pickup. I figured to not reuse the existing bolts as they were only a few bucks a piece. Of course that led to some bench racing, walking into the shop next morning the bench looked like a crime scene!

7B740FD1-C46E-4532-8CC9-710BB15735AF.jpeg

So this weeks hurdles were ignition capacitor located on back side of both heads. Turns out I need both to keep Holley happy, only needed one to keep stock harness happy. I took said piece off and to local Dodge dealer. They explained it is a discontinued part. WTF it is a 2010? I also had to order crank bolts as I need to remove two and swap the long stud out to relocate oil pickup. I figured to not reuse the existing bolts as they were only a few bucks a piece. Of course that led to some bench racing, walking into the shop next morning the bench looked like a crime scene!

View attachment 1715484061
To much for me to figure out but I see the Crown on the shelf last bottle on the left. lol

View attachment 1715484061
Nice liquor shelf, bottle dead guy beer also.

Nice liquor shelf, bottle dead guy beer also.
Hah! Most do not recognize the dead guy. Wife’s family is all from Oregon. We lived out there for years. I played Ice Hockey in Eugene. We lived in Monroe down by the river about half way between Eugene and Corvallis. I still love the Oregon micro brews!

To much for me to figure out but I see the Crown on the shelf last bottle on the left. lol
Of course you recognize the Crown container! You put the hurt on it last time you visited! Not sure how many folks on here have visited each other’s shops but I can tell you for a fact it is a blast. I have visited several FABO members shops. Fred and I live about 4 hours or so apart. We have both been each other’s shops and we always have a great time. It is worth your time and effort to meet folks on this site. I have yet to meet a knuckle head. Folks are just what you expect. They drink your whiskey tell lies and spoil your dog!

Hah! Most do not recognize the dead guy. Wife’s family is all from Oregon. We lived out there for years. I played Ice Hockey in Eugene. We lived in Monroe down by the river about half way between Eugene and Corvallis. I still love the Oregon micro brews!
It sure is a small world a lot of the time. Eugene pretty much been my stomping grounds my whole life besides when I served in the military.

Of course you recognize the Crown container! You put the hurt on it last time you visited! Not sure how many folks on here have visited each other’s shops but I can tell you for a fact it is a blast. I have visited several FABO members shops. Fred and I live about 4 hours or so apart. We have both been each other’s shops and we always have a great time. It is worth your time and effort to meet folks on this site. I have yet to meet a knuckle head. Folks are just what you expect. They drink your whiskey tell lies and spoil your dog!
Good whiskey and good dog. Yea I'll see ya soon as I get this plane out of my garage.

So I am done being a gun bunny for awhile so got back on the Demon. Had to sort out a way to avoid the huge factory master cylinder nonsense. Went with a small reservoir each for the clutch and one each for front and back brakes. As this is a poor mans build often times my design criteria is based on material I have laying around the shop. I had a piece of one inch square aluminum that turned into my reservoir bracket. I took a pix of the finished version to provide context. Now that it is mocked up I will disassemble it and buff it out.

3DD66F7E-D5D8-4BF1-9893-159AF081C9C7.jpeg

48B15830-4226-4399-AA23-03EDFFDFE84F.jpeg

A7EAB65A-FA85-4331-BE42-7761B5D37CCE.jpeg

307CCC44-A09B-405D-9737-5D13E23473A8.jpeg

CC40EDF8-1DCE-43BF-A486-BA44481A36C4.jpeg

Nothing is easy on this build, so once I swapped out to the FAST throttle body my CAI that I had tacked up is the wrong diameter as the FAST is quite a bit bigger than factory. And for all of you Picasso welders our there the tacks are simply root passes as I had to miter it together. Had I kept it I would have then went over the welds with a cover pretty pass! Keep in mind this is 045 thick aluminum! Anyway now I need to install a Manifold air temp sensor, yep got to cut it out of the old one and weld into new one. Can’t bake a cake without breaking some eggs!

2FA3B889-D391-427C-BD63-99D68BDA37BB.jpeg

ECAA6D38-D0D7-4EFC-8462-4EF8A258D1C5.jpeg

39B04BF4-BA7D-4130-BC24-DF66E635E5BC.jpeg

The saga continues, so the air temp sensor from factory does not fit any receptacle at auto parts store. I got one that was close and sanded off all of the ridges and it fits like a glove. But of course the Holley harness is a three pin and these are a two pin so I will need to cut off “factory “ plug and wire in the one shown!

3338E3FF-BFC0-45A3-A2C8-732859F7B0B7.jpeg

The saga continues, so the air temp sensor from factory does not fit any receptacle at auto parts store. I got one that was close and sanded off all of the ridges and it fits like a glove. But of course the Holley harness is a three pin and these are a two pin so I will need to cut off “factory “ plug and wire in the one shown!

View attachment 1715490348
Lots of **** going on there John ya lost me at the 2 pin connector but knowing you will be be a bad *** car.

So I spent the day on the Demon, actually starting final assembly stage for the engine. As you can see the headers did not quite fit as gracefully as I would have liked. When I was a young lad I would have simply billed the bolt in and figured it would be fine. Now that I am a bit older I actually think about well now what if I have to take it back apart. So I tapped the hole and went all red neck on the header flange. I have a round file purpose built to Chuck in a drill. Don’t try this at home kids!

CE58B5CA-BC9E-4E9C-96A4-3695492D9D10.jpeg

9F8C5346-F0D4-4B84-93BD-F4849EC6D0E9.jpeg

In an effort to perhaps save someone a whole bunch of homework here are yet another couple of stumbling blocks while doing this modern Hemi into a old car thing. Turns out the factory harness utilizes Pulse width modulation to control the alternator, Holley makes no such provision in their EFI kit, and in fact has no plug or wire for alternator. The result is you need to swap out to a one wire starter designed for this. And while moving the oil pickup around you need to swap out the extended bolt that the brace fits on. Since they are in essence crank bolts I did not reuse them as they are also torque to yield style. I got OEM replacements. And as always I went ARP for the header bolts. Here are pix with part numbers.

B7A3A9B0-070A-4E54-861F-D5FA71BB86EE.jpeg

3CD673FB-A89D-4B98-9120-547E611B1CC2.jpeg

FDF2BD98-26EB-488D-AFC6-A94C334733FA.jpeg

Too funny , as we get older we improve from our mistakes ! Demon is looking awesome . If I did that trick with the drill it would probably get stuck and the drill would smack me in the head.

Too funny , as we get older we improve from our mistakes ! Demon is looking awesome . If I did that trick with the drill it would probably get stuck and the drill would smack me in the head.
Would get me in the mid section always does. lol
Glad to see it getting done John can't wait to see it on the road.

-
Back