6.1 Hemi into 72 Demon March 2018

-
Great progress. It’s been intolerable hear from the heat so very little is being done on mine so it’s nice to see someone going forward

I am North of Fargo the one thing we do not have to worry about is heat! Hah! Might be 60 today? Closest city of any size is Winnipeg Canada.
So this weekend I am focusing on fabricating the tranny mounts on underside. I purchased a handy dandy mount but it fits a 56 and I have a 60. Bummer! The OEM Mopar TR60 has a very different mounting configuration than the GM boys. Tranny is same mounting tabs etc very different. I am in hopes I can salvage the top portion of the purchased mount. Should anyone be interested in the lower for a 56 PM me and I will make you a smoking deal. I included a picture of all you need to fabricate the mount! Hah! Cardboard and scissors! Anyway as you can see by the pix I have it rough cut and installed. I will now take it out and pretty it up and box it all out. My fearless hound "Hemi" recently had ACL surgery thus the shaved goofy looking leg. She is gorked out on meds. No running or jumping for five weeks. Try telling that to a 100 pound Shepard! Holy smokes it has been a pain in the butt. PS I used 3/8 material but really that is overkill it is just what I had laying around so rather than wait I chose to get it done Farm style! Lord knows I could tear up a prybar in a sandbox! Heavy is good!

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

So this weekend I am focusing on fabricating the tranny mounts on underside. I purchased a handy dandy mount but it fits a 56 and I have a 60. Bummer! The OEM Mopar TR60 has a very different mounting configuration than the GM boys. Tranny is same mounting tabs etc very different. I am in hopes I can salvage the top portion of the purchased mount. Should anyone be interested in the lower for a 56 PM me and I will make you a smoking deal. I included a picture of all you need to fabricate the mount! Hah! Cardboard and scissors! Anyway as you can see by the pix I have it rough cut and installed. I will now take it out and pretty it up and box it all out. My fearless hound "Hemi" recently had ACL surgery thus the shaved goofy looking leg. She is gorked out on meds. No running or jumping for five weeks. Try telling that to a 100 pound Shepard! Holy smokes it has been a pain in the butt. PS I used 3/8 material but really that is overkill it is just what I had laying around so rather than wait I chose to get it done Farm style! Lord knows I could tear up a prybar in a sandbox! Heavy is good!

View attachment 1715190627

View attachment 1715190628

View attachment 1715190629

Looking good, you keep reminding me of all the work ahead,
But giving me motivation!

View attachment 1715190820

View attachment 1715190821

View attachment 1715190822
Old Cuda,
Not sure where you are on sorting out the wiring harness but if you want i have mine sorted out to the essentials and I could take pix or send you a PM note with a list of the ones you actually need. You may be way handier at that then I was but that portion really ate up a lot of skull sweat for me. I am not an electrician by any means. There is just so many things to do it is almost overwhelming. I just nibble away each weekend. I got some really great advice from a FABO member early on when I was bouncing around and not really finishing anything. He reeled me back in with the same story and explained once he quit bouncing and made a determined effort to finish a task at a time the progress really improved! Sage advice I can assure you. The members input on here is invaluable to you as you progress. I look forward to following the evolution of your rig. And feel free to ping me anytime!

Sublime
Thanks, . I am not an electrician for sure, all help will be appreciated. And pictures help an old hillbilly out.
I'm trying to wrap up an old Scout I'm re working, and keeping the boss lady happy with a new roof on the house, then it will be time to dive in.
I see the transmission mount is in work, you will be down to the short hairs in no time.
What's the plan with the computer, mines a 2010.
I'm trying to research info and start picking up the parts I need as money permits. You know how these projects go, a lot of TLC (time, labor and cash), lots of cash.
Your way ahead of me so you can bet I'll be in contact.
Too bad I'm so far from your shop, I would be all in.
Thanks again, really a cool project.

Sublime
Thanks, . I am not an electrician for sure, all help will be appreciated. And pictures help an old hillbilly out.
I'm trying to wrap up an old Scout I'm re working, and keeping the boss lady happy with a new roof on the house, then it will be time to dive in.
I see the transmission mount is in work, you will be down to the short hairs in no time.
What's the plan with the computer, mines a 2010.
I'm trying to research info and start picking up the parts I need as money permits. You know how these projects go, a lot of TLC (time, labor and cash), lots of cash.
Your way ahead of me so you can bet I'll be in contact.
Too bad I'm so far from your shop, I would be all in.
Thanks again, really a cool project.
Mine is a 2010 same as yours. Regardless of methodology or system purchase you will have to pay some one to reflash. Check out Hot Wire in Mena Ark. ask for Chris he owns the joint and is a wealth of knowledge. I was so unlearned on all things modern motor I had to look up half the plugs as I could not identify them. I had never even heard of an anti knock sensor much less where they were located. Hint, you have two of them and you will need them both.They are located at base of motor on both sides and they look to be a ground wire, they are not! Hah. One of my many mistakes and incorrect assumptions I made while sorting out wiring!

So the bottom portion of the tranny is done. A couple of quick reminders. I took it in and out several times to ensure it would still fit correctly as I welded it up. I completely boxed it out via tacking prior to doing any real welding on it. This is a crucial step do not skip it even tho it is a pain in the neck. I also placed a set of washers between the frame rail and the bracket as I fabricated the bracket. This creates about 90 thou of cleareance so it fits snug but can be removed. I also showed a picture with the HZ soap stone lines on the piece before shaping it to the contour of the bracket. I do this so all of you out there who like me do not have a press brake, French wheel, or powered roller know you can do this with simple ordinary tools. All it takes is a bit of sweat a grinder with a zip wheel a hammer and a vice. The HZ lines give me a reference when placing a piece in the vise prior to flailing on it with a hammer. Keeps me square if you will. You just trim and shape check fit and do that over and over as your piece gets closer and closer to a good fit. A little effort on fitment makes a much better weld. I did not totally grind off the welds as I traded strength for cosmetic, I basically just flattened them out then took it to the paint booth! Hah plywood in sun with a rattle can!

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

Kudos to you for all your progress. Lookin' good! Is the very bottom part of your trans support bracket from the stock bracket on the donor car? Nice, low profile piece that looks like it still provides plenty of strength.

Good deal, giving me some ideas.............. More pictures....................
So I had some accurate input, " hey geek why no photo of completed unit in car?" Fair question! Hah! So here is a pix of the completed unit in car. I will trade bolts out for some grade 8s next time I am in town. I also included a pix of the top hoop as that is where I am heading next. I sipped a couple adult beverages and decided to step away from it today. And yes the low profile mount was from existing donor car I then modified it to fit in the Demon. My fancy schmancy purchased mount did not have a prayer of fitting. By no means a complaint as I purchased it knowing it was for a 56 and I was doing an OEM Mopar 60. I figured I could use some of it and save some time. Not so much! Did not use any of the bottom but appears I can use most all of top hoop with exception of mounting portion. The bottom portion is heading to a FABO neighbor in Winnipeg. I will take next week off to see a brand new grandson. I am taking him a Benelli pump 12 for his Birthday! I figure his dad will borrow it till he can lift it! As frustrating as this conversion is days like today really make up for all the beating your head on the wall days. I am super excited to have the tranny supported with no chain or 2x4s involved! I am going to mess around and have a car one of these days.

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

Another hurdle down. Looking good!
So I decided to get on top of the car for a change rather than under it! Started mocking up and installing radiator. That went so easy I thought while I am here I will,set up CAI box. As you can see by the pix, back to the car hates me and will fight me every single step. The fitting for temp is right on top of Power steering pump and discharge intake box is fighting for space with shock tower bracing. I swear you have got to hand make every single honking piece, nothing is easy! So any way after stomping my feet and muttering I simply cut the CAI and will remitre it and weld it back up. Underneath all that fancy chrome it is aluminum. I will check outbuildings and see if I have a piece of aluminum convey pipe I can cut up if need be. This car is gonna make me crazy.Hah.

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

So I decided to get on top of the car for a change rather than under it! Started mocking up and installing radiator. That went so easy I thought while I am here I will,set up CAI box. As you can see by the pix, back to the car hates me and will fight me every single step. The fitting for temp is right on top of Power steering pump and discharge intake box is fighting for space with shock tower bracing. I swear you have got to hand make every single honking piece, nothing is easy! So any way after stomping my feet and muttering I simply cut the CAI and will remitre it and weld it back up. Underneath all that fancy chrome it is aluminum. I will check outbuildings and see if I have a piece of aluminum convey pipe I can cut up if need be. This car is gonna make me crazy.Hah.

View attachment 1715192066

View attachment 1715192067

View attachment 1715192068

View attachment 1715192069
Those green bottles make it easier to cope with engineering complexities though!!

Those green bottles make it easier to cope with engineering complexities though!!
In Marines we called it aiming fluid! Hah! So I sorted out mitres and have the CAI going my way. The connection is moved back out of the way from power steering and the filter now has room to share with shock tower support. I will still need to fabricate some kind of isolation box but that is for another day!

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

In Marines we called it aiming fluid! Hah! So I sorted out mitres and have the CAI going my way. The connection is moved back out of the way from power steering and the filter now has room to share with shock tower support. I will still need to fabricate some kind of isolation box but that is for another day!

View attachment 1715192194

View attachment 1715192195
Hope my handy dandy powder coater can do aluminum? That technology is ever evolving.

It was brought to my attention pix was not good of CAI due to orientation. So here is one right side up and tacked. Pretty pass not laid down yet. It is thin tube and grinding off their paint and primer made it even thinner and welds were contaminated due to being impregnated with factory coating. Not much material there to start with!

IMG_1403.JPG

Hope my handy dandy powder coater can do aluminum? That technology is ever evolving.

Why would it not? Powder will adhere to any metal -- it's all in the prep and gun settings to get the best results and adhesion. Aluminum can be tricky though (especially old used cast pieces) so those are best left to the pros.

Why would it not? Powder will adhere to any metal -- it's all in the prep and gun settings to get the best results and adhesion. Aluminum can be tricky though (especially old used cast pieces) so those are best left to the pros.
I am for sure leaving it to the pros! anyone has any ideas on painting or coating the plastic valve covers let me know, I have searched and not really found any replacement dress up pieces? I am going to take a break for a week or so and go see a bunch of hillbillies and rednecks in Arkansas and Oklahoma! Oh wait that is my family! Hah! We have a new grandson who I figure desperately needs a fine pump 12 gauge for a birthday present! Hope all y'all have a great week and weekend! And remember....as my boss once upon a time sat at his desk shaking his head told me "there is nothing worse than an articulate redneck" be safe see ya in a week!

-
Back