6.4 build and swap 71 Dart, also 5.7 Hemi Van?

-

CichliDart

Well, where is it now?
Reaction score
I just purchased a "core" block, crank, and pistons for a 6.4 as well as a pair of 6.4 heads. I bought them off an ebay seller that seems to be frequently listing 6.4 parts like blocks, heads, cranks, and engine covers. This was sold as a BGE truck engine but I have not unwrapped it from shipping yet. My brother in law borrowed my hoist ages ago and forgot how to return it. That is his last shot at borrowing a tool from me. Anyway I need to assemble my engine stand and get some bolts to attach the engine to the stand. Anyone know the size bolts needed for this?

Anyway I have not had a chance to take anything apart yet to check for damage but I am interested in reading information about rebuilding the engine. As well as sources for parts as it is in pieces I will need a lot of little stuff like nuts, bolts, starters, alternators etc.

I also have a 5.7 engine that has been sitting in my garage forever while I gathered parts for my dart. I am considering putting the 6.4 in the dart and the 5.7 in my 72 B100 Dodge van. I know Hotwireauto.com makes a harness for 5.7L Hemi with 545RFE Automatic which would make my big old van a better cruiser and hauler than the factory LA 360 727. Per Allpar the LA 360 has "255 hp and 360 lb-ft, gross, or 175 hp and 285 lb-ft of torque net" while the 2014 RAM 5.7 has "390 horsepower and 407 lb-ft of torque". YMMV

I realize buying a fully assembled 6.4 would have been a better option but I am trying to buy things with cash in hand and a fully dressed 6.4 was not doable for me now. Also the prices for 6.4's have come down with the economy and I had enough to buy the block and then a few weeks later the heads. Now to buy and assemble the rest.
Pics to follow in the next couple days.

Looking forward to what you come up with. You can use 3/8 bolts to attach the block to the stand. Good luck!

Both projects will be fun, take your time and research and ask questions before you spend tones of money. Over this holiday weekend I converted over to E-85 so I will get a new look at how my 5.7 runs. I really like the drivability of the car with the 5.7 in it.

I now need to throw some timing at it and really let it eat.

good luck and feel free to ask questions. I leaned on 408 swinger a lot during my swap.

Is the 6.4 crank forged?
I read that the 6.4 rods and piston are the same material as the 5.7, as in not forged. I would rather not have to buy a new crank if I can help it.

I had my eye on new forged pistons and rods on ebay but the seller "had an error in listing". Aka sold them outside ebay.

Any leads on parts houses that sell Gen III Hemi parts?

I did get a pair of 6.4 heads and a front engine cover as well as some motor mounts for the 6.4 to go on my QA1 k member. I will be chasing odds and ends on this for a long while.

Intake Manifolds? What are you running on your 6.4?
One of my first thoughts for this build was go mild and not too much more power than stock. We all know how that changes :) . I was looking at a factory 6.4 intake from a truck with the "active" or dual runner design but the prices are stupid for them. At least the ones I find right now. So far I am only looking on ebay, local classifieds and not having a lot of luck on an affordable 392 intake. Any suggestions?

Ignition, I can't recall where I read it but some New Gen Hemi guys were mentioning the factory ignition coils work best? Any feed back on that?

Mike

6.4 cranks are forged. Rods are the "powder forged", same as all other gen 3. One thing to note, the pistons/rods do have floating pins. If you have the facory coils, use them. They are as good as anything else. I go on my wife's Facebook, Gen 3 hemi parts swap. If you look daily, you can find deals on parts.

6.4 cranks are forged. Rods are the "powder forged", same as all other gen 3. One thing to note, the pistons/rods do have floating pins. If you have the facory coils, use them. They are as good as anything else. I go on my wife's Facebook, Gen 3 hemi parts swap. If you look daily, you can find deals on parts.

408Swinger you are a wealth of knowledge,

I checked your wife's Facebook group and yes they have parts! I will remind myself to check it daily.

I can get the factory replacement, mopar part#, coils. I presume they will work ok.

Are the floating pins a good or bad thing? Or do I need to make sure to replace with the same type?

Thank you!

Mike

Floating pins are usually preferred. If you plan to boost, use an aftermarket H beam. You won't go wrong with factory coils.

Not much to report, still acquiring parts.
New factory ignition coils purchased, timing cover purchased.

Any suggestions for timing chain and gears? Brand? Type?

I did score a 545RFE transmission on ebag last week from a somewhat local parts dismantler. Skipped the $200. shipping fee for half a tank of gas to pick it up. Also made an offer and got it for $150. so under $200. with gas. Ninety day warranty but it will be a long time before this sits in a chassis.

Time to buy a rebuild book and learn a bit more about the 545RFE. One of my ideas is to use the Hot Wire Auto harnesses that can use the 545RFE hemi combo.

More research and more to buy still.
Mike

I did score a 545RFE transmission on ebag last week from a somewhat local parts dismantler. Skipped the $200. shipping fee for half a tank of gas to pick it up. Also made an offer and got it for $150. so under $200. with gas. Ninety day warranty but it will be a long time before this sits in a chassis.

Time to buy a rebuild book and learn a bit more about the 545RFE. One of my ideas is to use the Hot Wire Auto harnesses that can use the 545RFE hemi combo.

Mike
Hot wire auto are great to deal with. The owner will actually answer the phone usually and will talk to you until you are satisfied. They are out of Ark. their wiring harness is well sorted out and saves a bunch of headache.

Mike
I used the the 545rfe with my 2004 5.7. Installed in 2011 and have put over 60,000 miles on them. ( had 27,000 when purchased them, so 87,000 total). I’ve driven this car across the country from east coast to west coast. I never did any performance upgrades. I won’t make money racing it. Way too much fun to drive. I can cruise down the highway at 90mph usually 80mph. It’s bone stock 04. I’ve run it at the track for fun. Auto cross race it once a month.
Oh yeh I have the Hotwire harness. My son was 13 and he installed the harness when he got home from school. It’s truly plug m play.

I used the the 545rfe with my 2004 5.7. Installed in 2011 and have put over 60,000 miles on them. ( had 27,000 when purchased them, so 87,000 total). I’ve driven this car across the country from east coast to west coast. I never did any performance upgrades. I won’t make money racing it. Way too much fun to drive. I can cruise down the highway at 90mph usually 80mph. It’s bone stock 04. I’ve run it at the track for fun. Auto cross race it once a month.
Oh yeh I have the Hotwire harness. My son was 13 and he installed the harness when he got home from school. It’s truly plug m play.

LogansCuda,
Thanks for the supportive and informative post! I feel more positive about the direction I am going in now.

Mike

-
Back