/6 4bll intake.

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I would like to open my hood and see a ofenhouser aluminum 4 Barrel on my slant six?
My ? is can I toon to run and on the street as a daily driver.
Nothing looks as good as opening your hood to see an alluminum 4 barrel intake in a little 63 four door. not looking to make hp but a good start and sound car. I can pick up a four barrel offenhouser for 100.00 dollors.
And it cought my eye. So can some one that runs a 4 barrel on the street
or a great tec here share there thoughts, and I will be running headers to a dual muffler. 100 dolors seem to be a great price and this would make a slant I will be building very nice under the hood.
Thanks again. Mike

Mike, I would not run the dual port Offy. I have had a few freinds complain about the dual port. But the regular 4bbl. intakes were well liked.

I see absoultey no reason why it can not be done and done well without killing mileage or throttle response in any way shape or form. You'll just need to do one thing.....

Take your time and tune it well.

I think a 500 CFM would do fine. 600 is doable. Take a look at the bore of the 2bbl. Your 4bbl. primary should not be larger. Or, at most, barley.

Mike, I would not run the dual port Offy. I have had a few freinds complain about the dual port. But the regular 4bbl. intakes were well liked.

I see absoultey no reason why it can not be done and done well without killing mileage or throttle response in any way shape or form. You'll just need to do one thing.....

Take your time and tune it well.

I think a 500 CFM would do fine. 600 is doable. Take a look at the bore of the 2bbl. Your 4bbl. primary should not be larger. Or, at most, barley.

first off thanks Rob, The intake is a regular 4bbl. I think.:dontknow:
I looked in the carb location and it was all open with out a split hole.
so is this the good one? and it is in perfect shape !! what do you think about the price? I gave him 20 dolors to hold it for me. price $100 dolors?

Price seems fine. I'm not to up on /6 intakes. I also do not know if Offy made more than the 2 intakes I know for the /6. Being 4 bbl. intakes. One standard port, one dual port.
The /6 forum would be your best bet on info and fine help on it.

I remember Offy, making at one time /6 intakes, or at least straight 6 intakes, that had multiple carb set ups. Like 2 - 2bbl.'s or 3 - 2bbl.'s

this is the intake that i am looking at using.
this is a new picture of one just like it.

11.jpg

$100 is a great deal on that setup. Vacuum secondary(the secondaries will rarely if ever open with a stock engine) 390cfm holleys work best on slants, I am running a 465cfm holley cause it was free, though my engine is far from stock. Offies tend to give better torque and Cliffords tend to allow higher rpms.

i agree mike if you can get it for 100 bucks that is a good deal shoot if you dont end up using it im sure someone here would be more than willing to give you your money back for it (me):-D:-D but that will be a great addition to your little valiant when you get it home with the headers and dual exhaust that little baby should purr. Good Luck Mike. Justin

If you can get an Offy intake for a slant for under 200 bucks grab it even if you don't need it, that is a damn good price!!!
I was going to run an Eddy 500 electric choke on Nikkis 72 but after getting the new carb and talking to a crapload of guys that have run them on a stock 6 with headers I figured that 500 may be overkill without doing a cam swap.
I just set her motor up for a Holley 390 yesterday. 390 is perfect for a stock 6 with headers. The carb in the pics is one of the 450's that I have for my 360 T-ram project so it wont be the one I use on the slant, and no I'm not going to use that fuel line in the pics it was just some scrap line that I used for mock up.

Here is the Eddy set up, the linkage is also a pain with the Eddies...
DSC04177.jpg

Here is the Holley set up, the linkage lined right up and you can even use the stock kickdown if you want to...
100_0288.jpg

I will be running electric choke
100_0287.jpg

100_0286.jpg

100_0285.jpg

100_0284.jpg

100_0283.jpg

Offie manifold for $100, grab it. Make sure it has the carb plate. Use a 390 vac sec. Holley or a 500 edel carb for street use, on a mild engine.

Thanks guy's Yall sure have made this easy for me.:-D
And 350scamp ,
You have came though with pictures for me again, Thanks.:cheers:

4bbl2.jpg
N
Nice Choice memike, we use this on A stock 225 every day!! No problem
4bbl3.jpg

Thanks Mister Twister!! Know I can't wait to get it home and get it all nice and shinny like your's.

Looks like I will be home all day, My two sun's removed roof shingles Sunday
and I stayed on the ground with a tarp and kept the shingles on a tarp and drug them to my truck 30 feet away. It was my oldest suns house and I am taking it easy today. Little sore and my truck has a load to go to a big hole in the ground at the old home place. I like your new headers you got finished.

Oh man, I have been roofing on and off for the past 12 years. That is hard work, hope you let the youngsters do most of it!!! Thank you on the compliment for the new headers. Still need to run the car 1 more time before I do any more track testing. But I will let you know how they sound and perform. That intake looks like it has a different finish to it, that dont hurt performance!!! We have the day off also to work with the pencil for A change. Talk to you soon lunch time!!! got to go see ya Don.

WOW! There ya go Mike. A loud and clear group response!
I guess my 600 cfm idea is to much. I figured a 390 Holley would be good for everything else being stock. I should have mentioned that one. I've only seen it a hundred times.

WOW! There ya go Mike. A loud and clear group response!
I guess my 600 cfm idea is to much. I figured a 390 Holley would be good for everything else being stock. I should have mentioned that one. I've only seen it a hundred times.
600 sounds like A good cfm to me. No vac, for the racer in you!!

Sorry to jump in with another thought and direction.8)
But I am thinking that I could change to a mild rv cam and new lifters and get "A " head ready know " before I get the car" than new timing gear and chain,water pump.
Witch head would be best to get to the machine shop for a stock 170 /6.
Or should I stay with a 170 head and spend money on the valve and head clean up.
So I would think a cam change would be a good time for me to get that in ate the start if I had a short block to start with.
. I would like a clean 145 hp and keep gas milage and beauty ate a even direction. :glasses8:
I want to Keep the little 904 and 71/4 in it.
Cam and lifter choice would be helpful for me!!! =D>

But be for we go to far on this thread , I am looking at a slant six here in town that was taken out of a dart at a mec shop that I know.
I don't know if it is a 225 or 170 ext. yet.
So as you can see I am looking at maybe building a clean fresh Rv or a little better slant ready for my next A.

I am thinking with a stock cam I don't need more then 410 cfm's is what I am gettin here.:read2:

But with a small change of a cam shaft and not change out my springs.
What came can ,and should go too.:dontknow:

If it was you.:happy10:

Thanks guys!! I am getting a good picture of this in my mind know.:-D

Sorry to jump in with another thought and direction.8)
But I am thinking that I could change to a mild rv cam and new lifters and get "A " head ready know " before I get the car" than new timing gear and chain,water pump.
Witch head would be best to get to the machine shop for a stock 170 /6.
Or should I stay with a 170 head and spend money on the valve and head clean up.
So I would think a cam change would be a good time for me to get that in ate the start if I had a short block to start with.
. I would like a clean 145 hp and keep gas milage and beauty ate a even direction. :glasses8:
I want to Keep the little 904 and 71/4 in it.
Cam and lifter choice would be helpful for me!!! =D>

But be for we go to far on this thread , I am looking at a slant six here in town that was taken out of a dart at a mec shop that I know.
I don't know if it is a 225 or 170 ext. yet.
So as you can see I am looking at maybe building a clean fresh Rv or a little better slant ready for my next A.

I am thinking with a stock cam I don't need more then 410 cfm's is what I am gettin here.:read2:

But with a small change of a cam shaft and not change out my springs.
What came can ,and should go too.:dontknow:

If it was you.:happy10:

Thanks guys!! I am getting a good picture of this in my mind know.:-D

For a head I would go with a late model 225 without the "drool tubes" around the spark plugs, a port job (most of the power loss is in the stock slant head). If you go with a mild cam and a header you would have no problem with a Holley 450 cfm or even an Eddy 500 cfm.

I was ganna pick up a slant cam from these guys just because they have one in stock (or they can make one up), their prices aren't that bad, I have gotten 3 cams from them in the past, and they are local to me.

http://www.deltacam.com/

For a head I would go with a late model 225 without the "drool tubes" around the spark plugs, a port job (most of the power loss is in the stock slant head). If you go with a mild cam and a header you would have no problem with a Holley 450 cfm or even an Eddy 500 cfm.

I was ganna pick up a slant cam from these guys just because they have one in stock (or they can make one up), their prices aren't that bad, I have gotten 3 cams from them in the past, and they are local to me.

http://www.deltacam.com/

So! I will have no problem with a 225 head on a 170?
Thanks 360scamp!! I am glad to here that a newer 225 will bolt up with out any problem, will the head be self adjusting with hydraulic lifters??

No prob Mikey.
Isn't it about time you sent some people over to knock the crap out of that old bastard so you can get your car home? I still say we need to start up a possie and rescue the Valiant before the guy moves into the shop since his house went poof.

Well:spiderma: let just say I have some people in his town that I know that he don't know knows me,:pirate:

Have a talk with him:poke:, so to speak.:-D

All slant heads bolt onto all slant blocks no matter the displacement. The ports are all the same size so a 225 head will not flow anybetter than a 170 head. The "drool tube" heads are measurably lighter(I believe it is 10-15 pounds) than the "peanut" heads. Swaping heads will not give you hydrolic lifters, you would need to replace the cam and lifters and find a head from an 80's engine for the non-adjustable rockers.

-
Back