/6 AC compressor on 318

-

macdrew77

Reaction score
Are the compressors interchangeable? As in do the v8 mounts bolt up to the slant 6 compressor?

Back in the day I took a mopar knee knocker under dash A/c system off a 273 Dart and put in on my slant 6 66 Dart. I had to get the compressor brackets for the slant 6, but everything else fit. My Dart did not originally have a/c so I swapped the whole system. It was a mopar system with a mopar compressor.

So I did the backwards of the swap you want to do & it worked. Not a direct answer to your question, just a data point.

Most RV-2 compressor housings have the same tapings and holes. There are a few differences in the heads with bolt bosses, some having two vs just one. As Mike said above, you'll need the specific brackets - slant, small block, or big block. The Slants often used a compressor with a larger driven pulley, this turns the compressor slightly slower. Usually not enough to make a difference. I would go with a rotary system upgrade w new hoses if I was putting something together and missing original parts.

Thanks for the insight. I am going for original looks, so the old style compressor

the slant compressors are supposedly less powerful IIRC RV-1 vs RV-2 or something), but will physically bolt on and work.

If memory is correct V-8 clutches have 2 belts and the slant have one. An easy change though.

-
Back