6 oil pressure sender light

-

halifaxhops

It's going to get stupid around here!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any one know what thread is used on a 74 225 oil pressure switch? I want to get an oil pressure gauge hooked up and cannot seem to find an adapter for 1/8 NPT. I am not sure but think it is 3/8-18? I have no way of checking.
Thanks!

You sure? I have a 3/8 adapter I was going to use but it was a hair to large. The only info I can find is that the sender is mnpt which is male national pipe thread which as far as I can find out is what the sender has, and is not tapered.

Crap,, I thought I had a photo,guess not.Anyway my cheepie sunpro mechanical gauge came with all the fittings for the install on the slant pump. I also installed a "T" to use the light. It should be pipe thread.

Darter, The gauges I am putting in is to save some time in the spring before the 440 goes in. I never drove the car, so I am leaving the 6 in for right now to work out any bugs on the work I did. I have all the std adapters and the thread from the sender. None fit the thread is different. Thanks

Pipe thread does not need to refer to threads per inch. something that is genuine U.S. pipe thread only needs to be called out by "1/8 pipe," "1/4 pipe," or "3/8 pipe," etc

I/8 pipe is nominally the same OD as a 3/8 bolt or just a little larger

1/4 is nomnially 1/2"

3/8 is nominally 5/8. In fact I've used 3/8 pipe nippes for things like adding inline valves to heater hose.

A chart you can download

http://www.piping-engineering.com/w...s-american-national-standard-taper-thread.gif

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...L2pC2nkEApySaCANA&sig2=if59W0cQWeefvra85i9-CQ

Your dilemma has me perplexed, So I went and took photos. The metal plug is what was in the pump when it came out of the box. The brass is a 3/8 npt elbow.Compaired the threads on the males and screwed the metal plug into the female brass. I hope this helps ? So the fitting that is in the pump is a 1/8 to 3/8 npt bushing.

Attachments

• IMG_2005.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2006.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_2013.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_2014.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2015.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 324
I am going to pull it again this morning, maybe the sender is boogered up. Thanks. Super idiot proof pictures, thanks again.

Well dun Darter6 , I know those pictures was not easy to take :coffee2: I have everything you have.
But still in a Ace Hardware bag awaiting me .:coffee2:. Thank you :glasses7:

I am going to pull it again this morning, maybe the sender is boogered up. Thanks. Super idiot proof pictures, thanks again.

Well it was the fact that the bushing I was trying was 7/16 in a 3/8 bag. Never ever trust a blister pack!
ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR THE INPUT!

Its great to have the light and gauge. I knew the car was maintained and It was confirmed when the oil pressure is 45 at idle. To bad the fuel pump died....I guess after 40 years it was due. Better that it happened at home than away.

PLEASE tell me are NOT using plastic / nylon for oil pressure? if so carry some spares. edit: if you use Teflon tape be sure to skip the first 2-3 threads. if a piece of it gets on the oil pump relief plunger it might hang up. cause for the first 2-3 threads really doesnt seal any way.

Copper tube on mine. Flash glare almost makes it look clear in that photo.

OK sorry. copper is fine for oil. i think. but NOT for trans cooler lines. on oil lines i went over board once with brake tubing. 3/16 i think. not easy to put in but ill bet it holds up. all so on the bottom of the truck ANY / ALL threads get anti-seize compound. 80,000 miles later you will be glad you did.

I am using an electric gauge, Had my share of mechanical gauges growing up.

TO: halifaxhops. yep you have a point each way of doing something has good points and bad points. like i used steel brake tubing. but took half a day to get it right.

-
Back