**600hp sbm block limit? Or is it bs!!**

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dart
turbodart68 has more cars than all of us put together, all brands.

I myself can't stand the LS Motors either...... Sorry guys. My hatred of them started at the Sand Dunes. Guys would be buying 120K Sand Cars telling everyone their NA LS Motor has 650HP or their turbo motor has 800HP, low and behold I would be handing their asses to them with my lil 288CI Quad Overhead Cam V8... 8300RPM on the Recall!! Them LS Sand Engine builders were taking their $$ and laughing all the way to the bank.
Dude Louis, you been drinkin the kool aid!!!!
Nope here is a dose for ya!! Me and my Son terrorizing the Sand Dunes!:D
My crew use to dune so damn fast that we would push all the FUNCO guys out of the way Nascar Style undercutting them in the big bowls and passing them up. Them guys had nothing on our ****. Average speed calculated in the dunes was 78MPH on my GPS! They would come back in behind us and we would go again, dudes could not keep up!!

View attachment 1st digital pictures 128.jpg

View attachment Custom buggy.jpg

2 schools of thought I guess...I am from the school of thought where BIG POWER, whether blower, spray, turbo, or N/A is badass! but thats just me....and yes, most of those old school muscle cars that have some crate stock style LS motor installed do nothing for me (could be that I hate car show cars in general, and prefer drag style vehicles since they actually have more than an edelbrock carb and M/T valvecovers lol)

It seems to me that most mopar guys are either afraid or just don't like any kinda power adder, as if its some sort of illegitimate way of making power...could be why alot of the mopars run like old dogs compared to chevy and ford guys who aren't biased to those types of modifications..but thats jmo

back to block holding discussion...this thread interests me since im putting a long arm in my LA and planning to throw some hits of the oh forsaken "shprayyy" at it...definitely should see over 600 crank hp, question is will it hold?

I agree with you about liking drag cars and anything that is built by a passionate hobbyist that works well. There is more to this discussion than just how much HP a stock block will take. Piston speed, internal part weight, internal part materials, RPM, yadda yadda yadda. Way more than I am capable of comprehending.

Originally Posted by Mad Dart
turbodart68 has more cars than all of us put together, all brands.

I myself can't stand the LS Motors either...... Sorry guys. My hatred of them started at the Sand Dunes. Guys would be buying 120K Sand Cars telling everyone their NA LS Motor has 650HP or their turbo motor has 800HP, low and behold I would be handing their asses to them with my lil 288CI Quad Overhead Cam V8... 8300RPM on the Recall!! Them LS Sand Engine builders were taking their $$ and laughing all the way to the bank.
Dude Louis, you been drinkin the kool aid!!!!
Nope here is a dose for ya!! Me and my Son terrorizing the Sand Dunes!:D
My crew use to dune so damn fast that we would push all the FUNCO guys out of the way Nascar Style undercutting them in the big bowls and passing them up. Them guys had nothing on our ****. Average speed calculated in the dunes was 78MPH on my GPS! They would come back in behind us and we would go again, dudes could not keep up!!

View attachment 1714580851

View attachment 1714580854

Nice buggy. Haulin' cheeks in a powerful buggy out there in the dunes is way more than I can handle, scary!

2 schools of thought I guess...I am from the school of thought where BIG POWER, whether blower, spray, turbo, or N/A is badass! but thats just me....and yes, most of those old school muscle cars that have some crate stock style LS motor installed do nothing for me (could be that I hate car show cars in general, and prefer drag style vehicles since they actually have more than an edelbrock carb and M/T valvecovers lol)...BUT when I see an LS motor with a cam swap, ported stock heads, and some spray or turbo KILLING it, that to me is impressive!

It seems to me that most mopar guys are either afraid or just don't like any kinda power adder, as if its some sort of illegitimate way of making power...could be why alot of the mopars run like old dogs compared to chevy and ford guys who aren't biased to those types of modifications..but thats jmo

back to block holding discussion...this thread interests me since im putting a long arm in my LA and planning to throw some hits of the oh forsaken "shprayyy" at it...definitely should see over 600 crank hp, question is will it hold?

That's because most of the people shooting their big mouths off have never actually built anything that makes real power, and they're nothing more than armchair quarterbacks that run around talking about that time they had a "Hemi 440 six pack Challenger with a 3/4 race cam that pulled the wheels from a 100mph roll", and expect us to believe their bullshit.

I'm a fan of nitrous myself. If your motor is built for it, and you're not stupid with it, a lot of power can be made. Plus you can still keep it reasonably easy to drive on the street.

And, to answer your question about handling spray:

Yes. It will hold the power. My 390 makes in the neighborhood of 500 NA, and I ran a 150 shot of nitrous constantly when it was in my 5000lb Dakota. The block wasn't the weak link in the equation, the transmission was.

That's because most of the people shooting their big mouths off have never actually built anything that makes real power, and they're nothing more than armchair quarterbacks that run around talking about that time they had a "Hemi 440 six pack Challenger with a 3/4 race cam that pulled the wheels from a 100mph roll", and expect us to believe their bullshit.

I'm a fan of nitrous myself. If your motor is built for it, and you're not stupid with it, a lot of power can be made. Plus you can still keep it reasonably easy to drive on the street.

And, to answer your question about handling spray:

Yes. It will hold the power. My 390 makes in the neighborhood of 500 NA, and I ran a 150 shot of nitrous constantly when it was in my 5000lb Dakota. The block wasn't the weak link in the equation, the transmission was.

Yea, I know the kinda guys you talk of, seems they are very common amongst all brand loyalists, but there is an especially higher amount among Mopar guys I find..

Back to the block thing though, I am thinking about running a half fill in my block, to the bottom of the freeze plugs....might not help much, but it sure can't hurt...thought about doing it to the bottom of the water pump holes, but this is a street car, and tall fills without oil coolers (or even with them) on the street is just not what I am after.

Guess I will have to see how long the block holds up....along with the stock caps and main bolts :D

I ran a half fill in mine, and I'm not worried about it in the least. I drive it in on the street all the time, and it stays cool with the Champion radiator and a flex fan.

I ran a half fill in mine, and I'm not worried about it in the least. I drive it in on the street all the time, and it stays cool with the Champion radiator and a flex fan.

Half fill, as in to the bottom of the freeze plugs or to the bottom of the water pump ports?

Half fill, as in to the bottom of the freeze plugs or to the bottom of the water pump ports?

If you fill the block to the bottom of the water ports, it would probably be smart to get an oil cooler too if you drive it.

It's my personal opinion that if one feels they need to do it at all, they should just buy an r block and forget about this thread. I mean after all, we're all confident the block will handle a lot more than 600 hp, right?
Why bother filling it.

I think if Mister T was still with us, he would agree.:thumbup:

If you fill the block to the bottom of the water ports, it would probably be smart to get an oil cooler too if you drive it.

It's my personal opinion that if one feels they need to do it at all, they should just buy an r block and forget about this thread. I mean after all, we're all confident the block will handle a lot more than 600 hp, right?
Why bother filling it.

I think if Mister T was still with us, he would agree.:thumbup:

I short filled mine for insurance. It's never a bad idea.

Ok, what happened to the Mr. T Posts??

I don't know, I think the dude who originally posted it was a phantom member. You know Jedi knight Ninja stuff. LOL.

8c23a9e32ea61be230052eb1b273bf2a_h.jpg

i think we can keep some of these post around just as long as someone dont bring up kent

OK guys, you want to really strengthen your stock blocks? Then check out my post in the small block section on the 4140 steel main caps for use with or without a Hughes girdle!

My order has been placed. Jerry said these should only be about 2 weeks out before they ship. Get your main caps now before they are gone again.

I have the mopar performance 4 bolt ductile caps that i intend on cutting the 2 outer bolt holes off. I'd appreciate if anyone could comment on the strength of these especially with the 2 outer holes cut off.
Gotta be stronger than stock. Whitepunkonnitro was or is selling these sets at a great price

Thx Brett

well I did a little more than a half fill on my block...still using stock caps and bolts with a 4340 crank, h- beams and forged pistons....Crossing my fingers this thing will stay in one piece when I throw the juice at it

We ran a '72 360 block,filled with a girdle,over 1100 1/8 mile passes before the cast 4" crank finally broke.It broke just before the 6500 shift point,and the only damage to the block was where the #7&8 rod dinged it! this engine made 639 h.p. but we never turned it past 6800

We ran a '72 360 block,filled with a girdle,over 1100 1/8 mile passes before the cast 4" crank finally broke.It broke just before the 6500 shift point,and the only damage to the block was where the #7&8 rod dinged it! this engine made 639 h.p. but we never turned it past 6800

Well another "Myth" Busted that a 4" Cast Crank will break right away if you have over 500HP....... 1100 Passes, You got your $$ out of ANY ENGINE with that many runs!!. Well done! :cheers:

So which Cast Crank were you using??

-
Back