61 valiant heater valve

-

furyfrank

Reaction score
After looking around at pictures I see none that look like mine. Whoever owned the car before me put a mickey mouse valve and I am trying to find how the original one was attached. Anyone have a picture it sure would help.

You really need the factory service manual. For a '61 Valiant that means a '60 Valiant FSM plus the '61 supplement. The heater valve on the '60-'62 Valiant-Lancer cars is mounted with two screws to a steel plate about 3" high by 6" wide. This plate is mounted with two screws to the fibreglass heater housing, which is mounted to the engine side of the firewall. The correct heater valve will cost you about $100 (such as here). A very similar valve was used on the Volvo 240 cars for many years, until that valve was discontinued and a different style service replacement was issued; that's this one, which costs less and is much more corrosion-resistant. Shouldn't be difficult to adapt the later type Volvo valve to your '61 Valiant; it comes with brackets and other bits to go in place of the earlier-style valve.

Somebody before me replaced the heater core with either a newer one or a universal. Both the inlet and outlet are on the drivers side of the heater box and the original valve is long gone. So I am going to jury rig it the best I can.

-
Back