62 Lancer gas tank

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After reading a bunch of threads here and on other sites I decided to go with a 63 tank in my 62 Lancer.
I cut a copy of the original mounting holes 3 inches towards the rear of the car. Now I will drill a new hole for the J bolt on the passenger side frame rail.
The fill hole lines up perfect.
The only thing is the tank ends up about 5/8 " from the shocks. (Is that to close) I have an old inner tube and some roofing felt for the strap and between the tank and floor.
Does the felt and or rubber just lay on top of the tank and get trapped when installed? My car did not have a tank at all when I got it. Any help would be appreciated! I set up the strap so it fits down in the valley of stamping of the tank, I assumed that is where it makes sense to hold in place the best. I read others have used a second strap which would have to go across the top of the stamping as in the pic below.

IMG_20190209_152609614.jpg

IMG_20190209_155311226.jpg

IMG_20190209_155241321.jpg

20190125_071314.jpg

The mat just lays on the top. When the tank is tight to the body it pinches it in place. I think you are ok on the shocks, the tank should move not forward.

thanks for the reply. Ive read a ton of posts on gas tanks. But I did not see one definitive answer on the type of material used for between the strap and tank and the mat on top of the tank. some even say not to use anything. I was told roofing felt was close to factory material(will that trap moisture?) a lot of people advise using old inner tube rubber, but i would think that would definitely trap moisture.. i finished cutting and drilling new mount holes, everything fits great i just need to figure this out to be finished.
thanks for any help

This is our 63. Yeah. It gets tight in there. It’s not as tight as the pic makes it look. About 1/4”. Eric.

4B1947DA-544C-47FA-8C62-D255A93603A7.jpeg

Fully assembled and tightened the tank is only about 3/8 from shocks. Also the original hole for the j hook was double wall thick on the frame rail. the new hole is only thru single wall.

Fully assembled and tightened the tank is only about 3/8 from shocks. Also the original hole for the j hook was double wall thick on the frame rail. the new hole is only thru single wall.

You should be ok with 1/4”. We had to tweak the lip on the tank to get 1/4”. Lol

Thanks for the reply. Did you put anything between the tank strap and the tank?

well Im almost done. tried test fitting the filler tube and it only goes in the grommet about 1/2 inch. It looks like it needs to be 1 - 1.5" longer. the tube measures 21.5" along the curve. Any ideas?

your tank strap does not touch your tank?

Ha ha ha ha. I totally was thinking shock to tank. Lol.

Yes. We made a rubber piece out of an old inner tube and used that. But I don’t know if it’s completely needed. But we figured it couldn’t hurt

Never saw the original tank padding. So I got some roofing felt. I made this piece and a small piece for the round area that goes under the spare tire those are the areas that seem to make contact. Does that look good enough?

IMG_20190219_183905983.jpg

Well I've had the usual problems with getting the sending unit to seal right. I finally found a guy with an original lock ring and it seems tight but it really pushed the tabs on the tank way out.
(See pic) does that seem normal. I don't remember from my Dart.
Also the tips of the ring seem close to the edge of the tabs on the tank. I assume that is normal because all the rings are the same.
Thanks

IMG_20190310_124606110.jpg

IMG_20190310_124624072.jpg

IMG_20190310_123444583.jpg

I just installed my tank yesterday. Here are some pictures. Also shock to tank clearance.
I think your pad looks fine, not sure about the tabs, mine went in like I expected it to.
IMG_8947.JPG
IMG_8945.JPG
IMG_8956.JPG

Is that an aftermarket tank? Looks great!!! Your tabs didn't bend up at all, looks like a better design. Mine is a spectra from Canada, I was told they were good but didn't have good results with their sending unit.

It's an original tank I got from CA. It's been boiled, and powder coated. I bought a SS sending unit from Vans Auto and I checked the gas gauge this weekend, and it all worked great. Make sure you use the metal strap from your sending unit to your fuel line.

It's an original tank I got from CA. It's been boiled, and powder coated. I bought a SS sending unit from Vans Auto and I checked the gas gauge this weekend, and it all worked great. Make sure you use the metal strap from your sending unit to your fuel line.
l got my sending unit from Vans auto also tested good! Your tank is for a wagon its completely different than mine. I'd like to get mine mounted this weekend so I can move forward with the project. Hopefully someone who's us d this tank will post. Don't want to take chances with fuel tank. Your car is turning out really nice!!! Mine is a budget bomber, but fun.

I was told it was for a 62 Valiant. I know in 61 the tank for a Lancer Wagon is TOTALLY different, fills on the opposite side, has crazy tubing and who knows what else is different.

Well I've had the usual problems with getting the sending unit to seal right. I finally found a guy with an original lock ring and it seems tight but it really pushed the tabs on the tank way out.
(See pic) does that seem normal. I don't remember from my Dart.
Also the tips of the ring seem close to the edge of the tabs on the tank. I assume that is normal because all the rings are the same.
Thanks

View attachment 1715301425

View attachment 1715301426

View attachment 1715301427
Just bumping this up, would like to install tank this weekend my only concern is the tabs bending.

-
Back