62 Lancer Tail light Lenses

-
did you cast the lenses? I almost did that for my '65 Barracuda until I found the Mexican repops on Ebay for $26 a pair. yours Look perfect! I found out the depth of the red is hard to control, ie. when the light is on it tends to look pink if not deep enough red.

I know this is an old post... but how did you do that? I am struggling with finding a replacement for one of my tail lights.

Nicely done. Those lenses remind me of Ford Falcon/Fairlane lenses except for the red center. '63 Dodge Polara lenses can be fit into the Lancer housings but not sure how easy/hard they might be to find. I've also used a universal round truck taillight lens from "Grote" or "Trucklite" which are very cost effective over the years. Original lenses are very hard to find for this particular year Lancer.

I'm not the OP, but those strongly look to me like lenses for composite 4" round truck-bus-trailer lights, such as Peterson № 410-15R:

410-15r_2_1000.jpg

410-15r_1000.jpg

Centre section cut out and installed at the ends of those chrome cone pieces. Points for ingenuity, but there's an optical problem here. The bullseye in the middle of the lens, and the concentric rings around it, are fresnel optics. They're focused to look at a bulb filament a certain very specific distance away, and if that distance is changed even a little bit they can't collect/magnify/distribute the light appropriately. That centre section is way too far away from the bulb in this '62 Lancer install. The rest of the lens might do more or less okeh since the Lancer taillight has a reflector bowl behind the bulb (especially if the reflector is painted with Ceiling White paint (specifically).

There is no—as in zero—possibility that a '63 Dodge Polara lens will fit anywhere on a Lancer without use of a Sawzall; the '63 Dodge B-body taillights are horizontal rectangles. But that doesn't matter, because new tail lenses for both '61 and '62 Lancer (which are interchangeable, by the way, even though they're differently designed) are available out of Australia from David Azzopardi. He doesn't have them on his website, but he does make them. The gallery on his site is worth looking at anyhow.

Forgive the error in my earlier post. It should have read '62 Dodge Polara and not '63. slantsix Dan is correct in pointing that out.

-
Back