63 - 66 Dart door compatability hardtop to convertible

-

64 Dart 270

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got a chance to buy a local rust free dart passenger door from a hardtop to replace the rusty one on my 64 convertible. Looks like maybe it's just removing the window frame and replacing the window channel with the one from the convertible. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has done this and can provide details on the process and/or point me to a thread here where someone already did this (I did a search but didn't see anything). Thanks

Got a chance to buy a local rust free dart passenger door from a hardtop to replace the rusty one on my 64 convertible. Looks like maybe it's just removing the window frame and replacing the window channel with the one from the convertible. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has done this and can provide details on the process and/or point me to a thread here where someone already did this (I did a search but didn't see anything). Thanks
Yes, that's possible. The door is the same but the difference is in the vent frame. That's the one you need to change.

63-66 hardtop doors are dimensionally the same for Valiant, Dart and Barracuda. However, a 63 car has a different latch on the door and the jamb. So in that sense
a 63 door and car are one year only. Trim holes will differ between years and models. 64-66 doors and vehicles are all interchangeable. This is also true for 2 and 4 door
sedan doors as well. I believe there is a slight difference in 63-66 wagon rear doors.

ULF is correct on this. My old 65 Dart GT convertible had hardtop doors with the vent frames swapped to the conv frames. I believe the glass is the same.

Last edited:
ULF is correct on this. My old 65 Dart GT convertible had hardtop doors with the vent frames swapped to the conv frames. I believe the glass is the same.
Thanks to all that replied!
It looked like it wouldn't be that bad to convert - helpful to hear from some that have experience doing this.

Thanks to all that replied!
It looked like it wouldn't be that bad to convert - helpful to hear from some that have experience doing this.
I have a 66 hardtop door on the drivers side of my 66 convertible. (had a 64 convertible door with the wrong door lock on it before) all I did was change out the wing vent pot metal piece without the vent window since it was clear and I had tinted wing vent glass. I also changed out the felts and rubber while I had it out just because it was easier,faster and I wanted it :lol: make sure to mark where the bolts are for the vent window and the stops. count the turns on this piece or your vent will be either too far in or out.
015.jpg

these are the removable screws
019-.jpg

the hard top are sharp on the top tip and the convertibles are flat on the top

!!!!!!!wingvent tighten.jpg

I have a 66 hardtop door on the drivers side of my 66 convertible. (had a 64 convertible door with the wrong door lock on it before) all I did was change out the wing vent pot metal piece without the vent window since it was clear and I had tinted wing vent glass. I also changed out the felts and rubber while I had it out just because it was easier,faster and I wanted it :lol: make sure to mark where the bolts are for the vent window and the stops. count the turns on this piece or your vent will be either too far in or out.View attachment 1715367908
these are the removable screws
View attachment 1715367912

the hard top are sharp on the top tip and the convertibles are flat on the top

View attachment 1715367914
Thanks for the awesome detail and pics! That looks pretty straight forward.

Is the upper window frame and channel that sticks out of the door on the hard top spot welded or bolted in? - EDIT: my bad - poster on CL did not say and I didn't realize I was looking at a door from a 4 door (which has an upper metal channel frame around the window) vs the 2 door which does not (both hardtop and convertible).

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome detail and pics! That looks pretty straight forward.

Is the upper window frame and channel that sticks out of the door on the hard top spot welded or bolted in? - EDIT: my bad - poster on CL did not say and I didn't realize I was looking at a door from a 4 door (which has an upper metal channel frame around the window) vs the 2 door which does not (both hardtop and convertible).

you can actually use a 2 door post door but it required wayyyyyyyyyy more surgery and work to be worth it.

you can actually use a 2 door post door but it required wayyyyyyyyyy more surgery and work to be worth it.
Actually I just got an email back from the seller. He said it is a 2 door and from a 64. All the 64s and up 2 door hardtops I have looked at don't have an upper window frame. But then I looked at 63 and see that it appears they did. The attached pic of the yellow door is the one for sale and the blue is just a pic from a sale ad that came up when I searched 63 dart. It looks like in 64 they switched to no post. Or were the 270 2 doors post cars and GTs no post cars for 63-66? I have one of each for 64 but they are both convertibles so no post.
Anyway, that leads to my next question. Does anyone have experience removing that upper frame from a post door to modify it to fit a non post?
Any issues that make it not worth while? Someone said the latch placement was different on 63???

00T0T_lcUNQ06xINL_600x450.jpg

16445447-1963-dodge-dart-std.jpg

Last edited:
63-66 hardtop doors are dimensionally the same for Valiant, Dart and Barracuda. However, a 63 car has a different latch on the door and the jamb. So in that sense
a 63 door and car are one year only. Trim holes will differ between years and models. 64-66 doors and vehicles are all interchangeable. This is also true for 2 and 4 door
sedan doors as well. I believe there is a slight difference in 63-66 wagon rear doors.
Lee, does that mean that the location of the latch (holes for latch and screws) are different from 64-66 so you can't just simply replace the latch assembly without doing some fabrication to the door?

-
Back