63 Dart front window regulator spring

-

Mineallmine

Reaction score
I was soaking my window regulators in evaporust overnight to clean them up. Only light surface but easier than by hand.

When I took them out they were spotless, but one of the springs was broken. This is not the first time I have had something made of spring steel either break or become brittle. These were not rusty parts. I did a bunch of reading and heard other people have similar issues but the makers of evaporust are adamant that it doesn't make it brittle. Seems a little much to be coincidence. Just something to be aware of. I won't be putting spring steel in any more. My hood latch spring broke right after, I had bolts for my grille with spring washers that crumbled as soon as I took them out. Now the same with a regulator spring. No sign of previous crack. The car is from Arizona and had no rot at all

Any way, what I'm wondering is if there is a source for replacement springs for these? If not does the front and rear use the same and what years will work. It's a 1963 dart 2 door post.

Thanks

Your spring is '63-6 Dart and Valiant front door sedan only. The hardtop, convertible, and rear doors use a different one. It's part# 2299755 if you're lucky enough to find an NOS one. Otherwise, just get a used spring or whole regulator.

I was soaking my window regulators in evaporust overnight to clean them up. Only light surface but easier than by hand.

When I took them out they were spotless, but one of the springs was broken. This is not the first time I have had something made of spring steel either break or become brittle. These were not rusty parts. I did a bunch of reading and heard other people have similar issues but the makers of evaporust are adamant that it doesn't make it brittle. Seems a little much to be coincidence. Just something to be aware of. I won't be putting spring steel in any more. My hood latch spring broke right after, I had bolts for my grille with spring washers that crumbled as soon as I took them out. Now the same with a regulator spring. No sign of previous crack. The car is from Arizona and had no rot at all

Any way, what I'm wondering is if there is a source for replacement springs for these? If not does the front and rear use the same and what years will work. It's a 1963 dart 2 door post.

Thanks
Your spring is '63-6 Dart and Valiant front door sedan only. The hardtop, convertible, and rear doors use a different one. It's part# 2299755 if you're lucky enough to find an NOS one. Otherwise, just get a used spring or whole regulator.
And knowing that, it's time to start a parts wanted ad.

And knowing that, it's time to start a parts wanted ad.
Thanks for the tip. I have a location I can check before needing to do that. It's pretty close too. Just have to trudge through a bit of snow. V we have a vintage car scrap yard nearby.

If they don't have it I will definitely be putting up a wanted ad. Just wanted to confirm what for before going to look. I know they have 4 or 5 64-66 Canadian valiants, most 2 door coupes but they also have a couple sedans.

So, as I stated previously, I have a scrap yard close by (about 40 minutes away) that has some old Canadian valiants. I went there today and as luck would have it the car I was thinking of had the passenger front regulator still there. Took longer to trudge through the snow than it did to take it out...lol. Then longer again to chat with the older gentleman that owned the yard. It used to be a full fledged scrap yard in the 50's through the late 70's I think, judging by the era of cars. Some 80's but not near as many. Mostly now it's a spot for people to go take pictures as it's cool to see the old cars in the woods with the trees growing up through them as the land is reclaimed by the earth. Cars are pretty picked over but there's still the odd treasure or hard to find part there if you look long enough.

Now to clean this one up (definitely not putting the spring in evaporust again :) ). Onto the next setback...

Thanks again for the help.

-
Back